Print Thread
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Buy them and show your love.
  • DC has confirmed for Newsarama some of the highlights of its upcoming slate of collections and hard covers originally announced at the recent Las Vegas ComicsPro meeting.

These include:

A deluxe hardcover reprint of Camelot 3000 by Mike Barr and Brian Bolland. The new volume will be in the same format as the recently-released Killing Joke hardcover. The 12-issue series, which was originally released from 1982-1985, is an acclaimed retelling of the King Arthur myth, capitalizing on the prophecy that the legendary King would return in the hour of Britain’s greatest need. That hour happens in the year 3000, as the world is in the throes of an alien invasion. There is currently no word as to whether or not Bolland will retouch the color on the collection as he did for the Killing Joke collection.

September will see an Absolute Edition of Frank Miller’s Ronin, which was originally published from 1983-1984. The timing places the six issue miniseries after Miller’s initial run on Daredevil (but before “Born Again”) and before The Dark Knight. The story spans centuries, starting in feudal Japan where a young ronin sought to avenge his former master who was slain by a demon. The ronin was successful, but was trapped in a curse the demon uttered with its dying breath that linked the two. Centuries later, in a New York overrun by the bio-engineered Aquarius Complex, a boy begins to have dreams about an ancient ronin warrior, and the complex is invaded by an unstoppable terror – the two enemies live again.

The series was reported last year to be in development by Producer Gianni Nunnari.

Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s recently completed Y: The Last Man will be collected as a series of hard covers, with each hardcover edition collecting the material from two of the soft covers.

Finally, DC confirmed that it will collect the Golden Age “The Monster Society of Evil” storyline which originally ran in Captain Marvel Adventures #22-#46 between 1943-1945. The storyline, an undeniable classic of Golden Age superhero stories, has long been a favorite of Roy Thomas, who wrote in Alter Ego #64:

“For the past decade, I've championed to DC Comics the notion of abandoning for once its chronological approach to reprints in its Archives series, and of printing all 232 pages of the serial in a single hardcover volume. Such a book could almost be considered the first graphic novel-composed of material originally published more than sixty years ago!”

The collection is due for a 2009 publication.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Monster Society of Evil? SWEEET!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
September will see an Absolute Edition of Frank Miller’s Ronin, which was originally published from 1983-1984. The timing places the six issue miniseries after Miller’s initial run on Daredevil (but before “Born Again”) and before The Dark Knight. The story spans centuries, starting in feudal Japan where a young ronin sought to avenge his former master who was slain by a demon. The ronin was successful, but was trapped in a curse the demon uttered with its dying breath that linked the two. Centuries later, in a New York overrun by the bio-engineered Aquarius Complex, a boy begins to have dreams about an ancient ronin warrior, and the complex is invaded by an unstoppable terror – the two enemies live again.

Interesting. I kind of liked it but I didn't think anyone else did.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
i havent read Ronin in years but from what i remember it was pretty good storywise, i think the art was crap though...

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
i didn't understand the part with the mutated turtles

Get the fuck out!
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Talk to Uschi, she documented it photographically.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
i havent read Ronin in years but from what i remember it was pretty good storywise, i think the art was crap though...

This was the point where I started losing interest in Frank Miller. He went from really nice art on the first 12 or so issues of DAREDEVIL, to looser and more minimalist art.

When he left DAREDEVIL and started doing RONIN, I thought the first issue was spectacular. The remaining 5 issues came out very sporadically, and far from developing a more original style, his art devolved into a hybrid cloning of styles by Moebius, and Japanese LONE WOLF AND CUB artist Yoseke Kojima.

It had some nice pages, and it read much better when you had all 6 issues and could read it continuously from beginning to end. But it's far from Miller's best work. I think his best work was for Marvel from 1978-1982, and the later DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN and BATMAN: YEAR ONE.

With these announced trades, most of this stuff is already available in a nice printing and format in its original form.

I'd like to see more DC stuff from the 70s and early 80s, that had particularly lousy printing, where it can be fully enjoyed for the first time with better printing in hardcover format.

Such as the SUPERBOY/LEGION issues from Grell's run up through the Levitz/Giffen run (issues from 220-306), and Grell's WARLORD.
And maybe a collection Golden Batman stories (from BATMAN FAMILY 15-20, DETECTIVE 482, DC SPECIAL SERIES (Batman Spectacular), BATMAN 295, etc. ), possibly with other anthology stories Golden did.

And mystery stories by Nino, Redondo, Wrightson, Kaluta, and others. Plus completing Kirby's 70's DC runs, on KAMANDI, THE DEMON, O.M.A.C and other work.

And a wide-ranging anthology collection of Neal Adams' more obscure work for DC, from OUR ARMY AT WAR, PHANTOM STRANGER, HOUSE OF MYSTERY, HOT WHEELS, HOUSE OF SECRETS, WITCHING HOUR and other lesser-known titles.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

This was the point where I started losing interest in Frank Miller. He went from really nice art on the first 12 or so issues of DAREDEVIL, to losser and more minimalist art.

When he left DAREDEVIL and started doing RONIN, I thought the first issue was spectacular. The remaining 5 issues came out very sporadically, and far from developing a more original style, his art devolved into a hybrid cloning of styles by Moebius, and Japanese LONE WOLF AND CUB artist Yoseke Kojima.

I was the other way - I hated the art initially nd really liked it by the end. But the story ended poorly. Its like he didn't know where to take it.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Link Copied to Clipboard