15000+ posts
Yes I certainly do.

Pariah #950968 2008-05-24 8:32 PM
I....DRINK....YOUR.....MILKSHAKE!!!
25+ posts
I....DRINK....YOUR.....MILKSHAKE!!!
25+ posts
Seek help. Seriously.

Carefully presenting and refuting a weakened form of an opponent's argument is not always itself a fallacy. It can refocus the scope of an argument or be a legitimate step of a proof by exhaustion. In contrast the straw man fallacy occurs in the following pattern:

1. Person A has position X.

2. Person B ignores X and instead presents position Y. Y is a distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:

1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.
2. Quoting an opponent's words out of context -- i.e., choosing quotations that are not representative of the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).
3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender and then refuting that person's arguments, thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position, and thus the position itself, has been defeated.[1]
4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs that are criticized, such that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking the simplified version.

3. Person B attacks position Y.

4. Person B draws a conclusion that X is false/incorrect/flawed. This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself.

That was one goddamn helluva show.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
is this where the youtube videos come in?

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Daniel Plainview
Seek help. Seriously.

Carefully presenting and refuting a weakened form of an opponent's argument is not always itself a fallacy. It can refocus the scope of an argument or be a legitimate step of a proof by exhaustion. In contrast the straw man fallacy occurs in the following pattern:

2. Person B ignores X and instead presents position Y. Y is a distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:

1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.
2. Quoting an opponent's words out of context -- i.e., choosing quotations that are not representative of the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).
3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender and then refuting that person's arguments, thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position, and thus the position itself, has been defeated.[1]
4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs that are criticized, such that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking the simplified version.

4. Person B draws a conclusion that X is false/incorrect/flawed. This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself.

I used your exact quote and I responded to it with a direct statement. Not an interpretation of your meaning. You're floundering.

Pariah #950986 2008-05-24 8:38 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Seek help. Seriously.

I used your exact quote and I responded to it with a direct statement. Not an interpretation of your meaning. You're floundering.

You say that, but you never manage to come up with anything other than denial as a retort. That's why I said you proved Doc's point before. BTW, Doc has always been right.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
 Originally Posted By: Dan Blocker
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns

(ps. Pariah did you fuck that 655 chick yet?)

Don't hurt your knees bending over for Pariah, m'kay?

We gotta get Sikk to find a few good circle jerk pics.

google images too much effort for you?

and I thought I was lazy...

The great debater has spoken! No more google pics.

I'm just saying, it's a bit disappointing to see you toss off (heh) yet another tired homosexual reference regarding one poster following after another one and then say 'geez, I hope someone does all the work for me!'

You don't have to be homo to a suck up. Have you spent your entire life on this board?

'...don't have to be homo to a suck up...'

I really don't think it's nitpicking, in this instance, to tell you it would have helped to give that sentence another look before clicking 'submit'. though I guess submitting is kind of a reflex for you by this point. to answer your question, we have these cool little text fields that tell you the date each of us registered on rob's damn boards. if you look carefully at them, you can deduce through careful arithmetic exactly how long each of us has been a member of rob's damn boards. thank you and have a wonderful afternoon.

So now that I've owned you are you going to follow me around correcting my spelling too?

did I miss something, whomod?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You say that, but you never manage to come up with anything other than denial as a retort. That's why I said you proved Doc's point before. BTW, Doc has always been right.

There has been no denial. I have specifically pointed out the difference between responding to posters on your home board versus migrating to another board to tell the posters there that they are evil immoral individuals that are going to hell.

I'm sure you'd like that to be a strawman, but it's not.

Pariah #951001 2008-05-24 8:47 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

There has been no denial. I have specifically pointed out the difference between responding to posters on your home board versus migrating to another board to tell the posters there that they are evil immoral individuals that are going to hell.

Quote:
No guilt, no weakness, no contradictions. Just your own bias.

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't. Try again.

Quote:

Quote:
There has been no denial.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's some careful editing you did there Dan! You should get a medal!

Pariah #951005 2008-05-24 8:53 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

Didn't edit anything.

25+ posts
25+ posts

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The weak will always expose themselves when their knees buckle under the weight of all their lies.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Didn't edit anything.

Actually, you did.

Pariah #951011 2008-05-24 8:58 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

Didn't edit anything.

Actually, you did.

So this is you buckling?

You're welcome to prove me wrong but that's exactly what you said.

Pariah #951012 2008-05-24 8:58 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, abridging does qualify as editing Dan.

Pariah #951015 2008-05-24 9:00 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts

Yes, his knees are now as weak as his heart.

Dr Fate #951016 2008-05-24 9:00 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Dr Fate

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The weak will always expose themselves when their knees buckle under the weight of all their lies.

No lies. Just exposing Daniel's ignorance in regards to straw men and pots and kettles.

Pariah #951018 2008-05-24 9:01 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No lies. Just exposing Daniel's ignorance in regards to straw men and pots and kettles.

You expose nothing through vague denial. You only add to the list.

Dr Fate #951020 2008-05-24 9:02 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

So you approve of editing quotes? Hurm....

Pariah #951022 2008-05-24 9:03 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

Your pathetic. Find the quotes and post them. Post links to where you posted them. You won't because you know I'm right.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if you knew how to backtrack as well as you knew how to separate terse replies from overall statements, you'd understand pretty well.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Your pathetic. Find the quotes and post them. Post links to where you posted them. You won't because you know I'm right.

Now why would I remove the burden of proof from the one who provided the "quote unquote" quotes.

WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE PHRASE OF POTS AND KETTLES?

Pariah #951025 2008-05-24 9:05 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if you knew how to backtrack as well as you knew how to separate terse replies from overall statements, you'd understand pretty well.

Uh-huh

Pariah #951026 2008-05-24 9:05 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts

Now why would I remove the burden of proof from the one who provided the "quote unquote" quotes.

Burdens on you, buddy. I posted them, you DENIED them, now you have to prove you're right.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Uh-huh

So you admit to selective quoting. Splendid.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Burdens on you, buddy. I posted them, you DENIED them, now you have to prove you're right.

*sigh* When will the poor dearies learn.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

You're pathetic. Find the quotes and post them. Post links to where you posted them. You won't because you know I'm right.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Bringer of Change
400+ posts
Bringer of Change
400+ posts
Hey "Pariah," didn't we already get rid of you? Haven't you learned your lesson yet? Your time here is through. Hit the bricks. Our Pariah is vastly superior to your gimmick, or reality, of being a pedophile.

Rellik #951079 2008-05-24 9:41 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rellik
Hey "Pariah," didn't we already get rid of you? Haven't you learned your lesson yet? Your time here is through. Hit the bricks. Our Pariah is vastly superior to your gimmick, or reality, of being a pedophile.

Pariah's pretty much destroyed himself. We should turn our attention to that little shit Sammitch.

Bringer of Change
400+ posts
Bringer of Change
400+ posts
What's his deal? Necrophilia? Incest? Compulsive masturbater?

Rellik #951093 2008-05-24 9:51 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts
What's his deal? Necrophilia? Incest? Compulsive masturbater?

He's addicted to sitting on the internet and correcting the spelling mistakes of people that have owned him.

I'm guessing he's into Coprophilia.

Bringer of Change
400+ posts
Bringer of Change
400+ posts
That gives me an idea.

Dan Blocker #951155 2008-05-24 10:32 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

Pariah's pretty much destroyed himself. We should turn our attention to that little shit Sammitch.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I'm stoked!

Dan Blocker #952043 2008-05-25 11:19 AM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

dude, you aint sposed to eat poo on bread!

Dr Fate #952095 2008-05-25 1:10 PM
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Chant
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
Thus Spake Zarathustra.

You would do well to heed the words of Behr Jason.

The weak have one weapon: the errors of those who think they are strong

Now, you see, this is the INTERNET, you can't really use such mumbo jumbo here. Because your supposed "strength" is basically worthless when it remains on the Internet.
Even in the extremely unlikely event that you win a victory here, what have you really won?

My strength is not the issue. Dave has chosen to follow Joe Mama and the others. I sense he does so not out of genuine dislike for us but because he seeks to side with the aggressor. Perhaps now the quote will be more clear to you.

I don't particulalrly like or dislike any of you. I'm just passing time until the caffeine leaves my system so I can go to bed.

...and how is describing your avatar as fighting evil with one hand in an allegorical Ptolemaic vagina complimentary?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

Water cracker, dude. With hommus and garlic pitted green olives.

Pimping my site, again.

Rellik #952097 2008-05-25 1:12 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Compulsive masturbater?

Hell, they've identified our collective Kryptonite!

Pimping my site, again.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

Water cracker, dude. With hommus and garlic pitted green olives.

today's amouse brought to you by chef dave!

Grimm #952156 2008-05-25 1:55 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
his cooking is the shit!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard