Print Thread
#977922 2008-07-01 6:59 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Pup Sparks Anger in Scottish Muslim Communities
  • Muslims in the Scottish district of Tayside are outraged by the appearance of a wide-eyed, 6-week-old puppy on postcards distributed by the local police force, according to the Daily Mail.

Postcards showing police dog-in-training Rebel, a German shepherd born in early December, are causing a furor among the region’s Muslims who believe dogs are "ritually unclean," the Daily Mail reports.

The cute cards were meant to notify locals of a new telephone number for non-emergency phone calls but instead have become a flashpoint for a clash of cultures. Shopkeepers are refusing to display the offending ad and a Dundee city councilor is calling for an investigation.

Saudi religious police ban sale of pet dogs and cats

• Saudi Arabia's religious police, normally tasked with chiding women to cover themselves and ensuring men attend mosque prayers, are turning to a new target: cats and dogs. The police have issued a decree banning the sale of the pets, seen as a sign of Western influence.

The prohibition on dogs may be less of a surprise, since conservative Muslims despise dogs as unclean. But the cat ban befuddled many, since Islamic tradition holds that the Prophet Muhammad loved cats - and even let a cat drink from his ablutions water before washing himself for prayers.

The religious police, known as the Muttawa, have the role of enforcing Saudi Arabia's strict Islamic code. Its members prowl streets and malls, ensuring unmarried men and women do not mix, confronting women they feel are not properly covered or urging men to go to prayers. But the government also gives the Muttawa wide leeway to enforce any rules they deem necessary to uphold the social order.

The decree - which applies to the Red Sea port city of Jiddah and the holy city of Mecca - bans the sale of cats and dogs because ''some youths have been buying them and parading them in public,'' according to a memo from the Municipal Affairs Ministry to Jiddah's city government. The memo, obtained by The Associated Press, urges city authorities to help enforce the ban.

Conservatives decry the [pet ownership] trend as a Western influence, just like the fast food, shorts, jeans and pop music that have become more common in the kingdom, which is ruled by the puritanical Wahhabi interpretation of Islam. They say it should be fought because it is threatening the fabric of Gulf nations.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
coming to a city near you?

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
dead puppies aren't much fun

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
But what do Muslims think about that bulldog that rides a skateboard?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
But what do Muslims think about that bulldog that rides a skateboard?

"Hell on wheels"

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts
You know if you move to a western country and insert yourself into their culture, I think you give up any right to bitch based on the nuances of your native culture.

If you wanted to be surrounded by that culture, and live by it's rules ... then why the hell did you move to a country populated by people that don't share those beliefs?

I'm sure Christians do things on a regular basis that offend Jews but you don't hear Jews pitchin' a bitch.

This is why I hate all religion. It defies logic on a regular basis, and not only that, but the religious expect you to jump off the crazy bridge with them every time you offend one of their ludicrous sensibilities.

It's a police dog. He's an officer of the law. Sworn to protect and serve, and from time to time, lick his balls. Just take heed of his message and go on with your day. God won't think any less of you, and more to the point, I won't think any less of you.

URG Offline
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
URG am real man!
7500+ posts

URG #980957 2008-07-14 10:59 PM
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Y'know, you'd think that with all the American soldiers being videotaped committing cruel acts upon animals (puppy throwing, shooting a stray dog with a smoke grenade launched from an M203, etc.) that Americans are the ones that hate puppies.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man innocent User Meet Christian Singles in your city.
10000+ posts Tue Jul 15 2008 12:20 AM Reading a post
Forum: Religion, Philosophy and other Deep Topics
Thread: Muslims Hate Puppies?

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
King Snarf content User 7500+ posts Tue Jul 15 2008 12:22 AM Reading a post
Forum: Religion, Philosophy and other Deep Topics
Thread: Muslims Hate Puppies?

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: URG

That dog is a national treasure.

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
They're still at it:
  • Othman al-Othman, head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice in Riyadh, known as the Muttawa, told the Saudi edition of al-Hayat daily that the commission has started enforcing an old religious edict. . . .

The reason behind reinforcing the edict now was a rising fashion among some men using pets in public "to make passes on women and disturb families," he said, without giving more details.

Othman said that the commission has instructed its offices in the capital to tell pet shops "to stop selling cats and dogs."

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
you know the guy takes family values seriously when his first and last names are the same.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
He's so nice they named him twice!

All hail King Snarf!

URG Offline
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
UR am naot know why you people gotta have 15 names just to tell people who you are.You am only need one name like URG or Gob.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Army blocks soldier from bringing puppy back
  • WASHINGTON - More than 10,000 people have signed an online petition urging the Army to let an Iraqi puppy come home with a Minnesota soldier, who fears that "Ratchet" could be killed if left behind.

"I just want my puppy home," Sgt. Gwen Beberg of Minneapolis wrote to her mother in an e-mail Sunday from Iraq, soon after she was separated from the dog following a transfer. "I miss my dog horribly." Beberg, 28, is scheduled to return to the U.S. next month.

Ratchet's defenders are ratcheting up their efforts to save him. On Monday, the program coordinator for Operation Baghdad Pups, which is run by Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals International, left for a trip to the Middle East to try to get the puppy to the U.S.

Beberg and another soldier rescued the puppy from a burning pile of trash back in May. Defense Department rules prohibit soldiers in the U.S. Central Command, which includes Iraq, from adopting pets, but exceptions have been made. Operation Baghdad Pups says it has gotten 50 dogs and six cats transferred to the U.S. in the last eight months.

Operation Baghdad Pups' program coordinator, Terry Crisp, is scheduled to arrive in Baghdad on Wednesday. Crisp said the adopted dogs left behind face death on Iraqi streets.

She said Iraqis view dogs and cats as nuisances and carriers of disease, and U.S. soldiers have rescued many of them from abuse.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
300 Stray Dogs Dumped on Island Turn to Cannibalism
  • KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — More than 300 stray dogs that were dumped on isolated islands turned to cannibalism after weeks of starvation, animal welfare activists said Thursday.

The plight of the dogs cast away by villagers on two small, uninhabited islands off Malaysia's western Selangor state ignited outrage after activists this week released photographs showing dogs eating the carcasses of ones that had died.

The official religion of Malaysia is....you guessed it.

the #1057181 2009-05-15 10:35 PM
Even the body of Man can be commanded into health.
200+ posts
200+ posts
Meh. Old news, anyone who knows some muslim people or has some basic knowledge on Islam, knows that they do regard dogs as unclean, impure and are not allowed to touch them. I love dogs, they don't, big deal.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
why do you hate America?

200+ posts
200+ posts
Me? I love America, and would love to go back there at the first opportunity possible.

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
why do you hate America?

It's those fucking canadians!

Racks be to MisterJLA
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
dont get me started.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
eh?

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
piss off!

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
What's wrong, buddy?

iggy #1134597 2010-11-07 4:41 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Failed Al Qaeda plot involved sewing bombs inside dogs:
  • Al Qaeda operatives in Iraq tried to unleash deadly terror in the skies by deploying a pair of kamikaze canines on a US-bound plane, a French newspaper reports.

The diabolical plot failed because the bombs were so badly stitched inside the poor pooches that they died, said the respected Paris daily Le Figaro.

"This case illustrates the determination of al Qaeda militants, who are trying to circumvent terrorism controls by any means," French criminologist Christophe Naudin, an aviation security expert, told the newspaper.

Not surprising. To Islam, a dog is only slightly better than a pig.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab

Obama Thanks Eagles Owner For Giving Ex-Con Vick A 2nd Chance

• President Obama has reached out to Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, and thanked him for giving quarterback Michael Vick a second chance in the NFL this year, according to Sports Illustrated's Peter King.

Probably just a coincidence. Yeah. That's it. Just a coincidence.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Iran to ban dogs from walking in public — and owners are terrified their beloved pets could be killed if spotted: Officials have said that dogs pose ‘a cultural problem’ in that they are ‘unclean’ and represent ’blind imitation of the vulgar Western culture.’

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Can't they just eat them, like Son of Mxy's people?

\:\)

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Cop Shoots Service Dog During Kid's Birthday Party
  • On Saturday, a police officer in Filer, Idaho responded to a call about two dogs running around without leashes on a suburban street. Thirty-eight seconds after exiting his patrol car, Officer Tarek Hassani determined that one of the animals was too aggressive and fatally shot it in the front yard of its owner's house. A video (NSFW) shows the 7-year-old black labrador convulsing and whimpering before moving out of the dash cam's line of sight.

The dog, named “Hooch,” belonged to Rick Clubb, who says he suffers from Parkinson's disease and that Hooch was his trained service animal. At the time of the shooting, Clubb was apparently inside, hosting his 9-year-old son's birthday party....

Police Chief Tim Reeves explained to a local Fox affiliate, "My decision was that [Hassani] did a good job and he was totally justified in putting the dog down."

Officer Tarek Hassani...

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Colonel, a British special forces service dog (or a US service dog on loan to the Brits, I'm not sure which) was taken hostage by the Taliban after a raid.

Muslim culture is disgusting.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The Toronto Sun: A puppy outfitted with a backpack of explosives serves as a cruel reminder that ISIS is seeking innovative ways to cause mass casualties. Video surfaced this week appearing to show a pup quivering in fear as fighters from the Popular Mobilization Forces describe their discovery. The PMU militia – backed by the Iraqi government – told a camera how they deactivated the remote-controlled explosives – saving themselves and the dog. “What was this animal’s crime?” the fighters ask, according to a translation from Metro U.K. “ISIS booby traps (animals) and send them out against us.”

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Quote:

Why Do So Many Muslims Hate Dogs?

By Hugh Fitzgerald March 14, 2017

• A Muslim taxi-driver in England, one Abandi Kassim, was recently fined for refusing to take on a blind passenger’s seeing-eye dog because, as Kassim claimed: “For me, it’s about my religion.”

There have been many such cases in the U.S., the UK, and Canada of Muslims refusing to pick up fares with seeing-eye dogs. Many of the Somali taxi drivers who made up three-quarters of the 900 taxi drivers at the Minneapolis airport refused to pick up blind passengers because of their dogs. When forced to do so, some of them simply quit.

In Toronto, a guide dog’s owner was refused taxi service by a Muslim driver. In Saskatchewan, the same problem. In Montreal, in Ottawa, and all across Canada, Muslim drivers have refused service to seeing-eye dogs. In London, in Nottingham, in Reading, and in Tunbridge Wells, taxi drivers have refused service to fares with dogs.

Blind or poorly sighted people with guide dogs have been forced by Muslim bus drivers to get off -- often to calm the hysterical reaction of other Muslim passengers. Much worse, killings of dogs, chiefly by poison, in areas populated mainly by Muslims has been reported in Spain, Sweden, France, and Great Britain.

This Muslim hatred for dogs, as even many non-Muslims now know, has its origin in a celebrated hadith from the most authoritative collection, that by Bukhari:

Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, " We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog." (Sahih Bukhari 4.54.50)

Two hadith from Sahih Muslim vividly convey Muhammad’s murderous hatred of dogs:

Abdullah (b. Umar) (Allah be pleased with them) reported: Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered the killing of dogs and we would send (men) in Medina and its corners and we did not spare any dog that we did not kill, so much so that we killed the dog that accompanied the wet she-camel belonging to the people of the desert. (Sahih Muslim 3811)

Ibn Mughaffal reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) ordered killing of the dogs, and then said: “What about them, i. e. about other dogs?” and then granted concession (to keep) the dog for hunting and the dog for (the security) of the herd, and said: "When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time." (Sahih Muslim 551)

Dogs are to be killed, according to Muhammad, with the only exception made for those that are used for hunting or to guard a herd of cattle. But why? And why the mysterious coupling of two disparate items deemed haram: “pictures and dogs”?...

Man!

I never knew muslim hatred of dogs was Quran-based.

I once knew a black guy who was an aspiring stand-up comedian doing stand-up gigs in clubs, walking with his dog, he'd joke that it only ate white people. He could amend his act to say his dog only eats muslims.

#1223290 2017-04-13 12:56 AM
Captain Pouty
7500+ posts
Captain Pouty
7500+ posts
cunt!

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
yes

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

few posts
few posts
NO this is not the right thing.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The moment in history when Muslims began to see dogs as dirty, impure, and evil

Quote:

Dogs in Islam, as they are in Rabbinic Judaism, are conventionally thought of as ritually impure. This idea taps into a long tradition that considers even the mere sight of a dog during prayer to have the power to nullify a pious Muslim’s supplications. Similar to many other mistakenly viewed aspects of Islamic history, today both most Muslims and non-Muslims think that Islam and dogs don’t mix.

There is, however, quite a different unknown strand of thinking about dogs in Islam, a long history of positive interactions between Muslims and dogs that goes back to the religion’s very beginnings. According to several authoritative accounts of his life and teachings, Prophet Muhammad himself prayed in the presence of dogs. Many of his cousins and companions, the world’s first Muslims, raised young puppies. In the Mosque of the Prophet in Medina, the second holiest site in the world for Muslims after the Kaaba, dogs were regularly seen frolicking about during the prophet’s life and for centuries after as well.

It’s no surprise that the first Muslims had so many dogs. Most of them kept large flocks of sheep and goats, and dogs helped to manage and protect these other animals, preventing them from running away and scaring off would-be thieves and predators. Sheep and goats were these early Muslims’ food and capital, and dogs helped to protect these investments.

Canines were also crucial companions during hunting expeditions. Long before Islam, dogs were depicted in stone carvings from ancient Egypt and Iraq running alongside their human owners. Muslims continued this use of dogs.

As Islam spread throughout the Middle East and the world, it moved from being a religion of nomadic peoples to one centered in cities. Many of the world’s largest cities in the millennium between 700 and 1700 were Muslim cities. As they did in the countryside, in cities too dogs played vital roles. They of course continued to protect property and shoo away intruders, but in cities dogs served an even more important function—they ate garbage. From Damascus and Baghdad to Cairo and Istanbul, urban authorities supported dog populations as consumers of waste to keep city streets clean. Muslim leaders built watering troughs for dogs, many mosques threw out food for them, and butchers used them to keep away rats and other vermin. Humans who committed violence against urban canines were often punished. Muslim cities were much cleaner and more pleasant places with dogs than without them.

All of this meant that Muslims throughout the world were in regular daily contact with the many dogs in their midst. They recognized how useful canines were as guards and cleaning agents and, we can only presume, developed quite intimate relationships with them built around regular contact and the kind of affection bred from codependence.

Given this history, where then did the idea that Islam is only hostile to dogs come from? The short answer is disease. About two hundred years ago, ideas about contagion began to change. Still very far from what we would today recognize as germ theory, people in the Middle East, Europe, and elsewhere started to notice a correlation between outbreaks of plague, cholera, and malaria and the physical proximity of victims to places like cemeteries, garbage heaps, and swampy lakes. City planners and governments throughout the Middle East therefore started to excise these sources of disease from the increasingly crowded districts in which their people lived. As they collected and then pushed garbage outside city walls, they also unwittingly removed the dogs that ate this trash. Dogs used to keep streets clean. Now humans did.

The historic connections between dogs and trash did not serve the animal well. Not only was there simply less garbage to eat in cities, but the garbage that did remain was now seen as a threat to public hygiene and soon too were its canine consumers. Indeed, in just a few decades in the early nineteenth century, dogs came to be seen as both economically useless and hazardous to public health. The results? Several large-scale dog eradication campaigns, far fewer dogs in Middle Eastern cities, and a change in attitude toward the animal. No longer useful and productive urban residents, dogs were now seen as dangerous, disease-ridden, and expendable.

This relatively recent sea change in Muslim attitudes towards dogs explains the dominant view of the animal today. While of course opinions vary and the elite in many Muslim countries keep dogs as status symbols, the majority of Muslims see dogs as dirty, impure, sometimes even evil. As with so much in the Islamic past today, the history of dogs is thus misunderstood by Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Most don’t know and many would likely not be open to the idea that dogs were treasured by the Prophet and millions of Muslims after him.

For those of us—Muslims or otherwise—whose most regular interaction with a living nonhuman animal is with a dog, the story of dogs in Islam offers another lesson as well. Humans did not always keep dogs for affection, love, or cuteness. For most of history, they were not pets. They were laborers, economic necessities, hunters, and street cleaners. Apart from dogs that sniff drugs, aid the blind, or chase criminals, very few of us today experience dogs as anything other than that joy that licks our face in the morning. However, throughout history they’ve been much more. Knowing this past not only gives us a fuller picture of the most ubiquitous nonhuman animal we welcome in our midst, but it also helps us to understand how our histories with other animals have shaped our current world.

Alan Mikhail, Professor of History at Yale University, is the author of The Animal in Ottoman Egypt and, most recently, Under Osman’s Tree: The Ottoman Empire, Egypt and Environmental History.

This post first appeared on OUPBlog. We welcome your comments at ideas.india@qz.com.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Now how do you hate that?

Link Copied to Clipboard