Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Griffey agrees to go to White Sox
yahoo

• At about the same time a Boston Red Sox official described a proposed three-way trade that would send Manny Ramirez to the Florida Marlins and also involve the Pittsburgh Pirates as “50-50 at this point,” Ken Griffey Jr. agreed to waive his no-trade rights and will leave the Cincinnati Reds for the Chicago White Sox, a source said Thursday.

The Reds, who also are taking calls on left fielder Adam Dunn, are expected to receive right-hander Nick Masset and second baseman Danny Richar in the trade. It is unclear how the White Sox will use Griffey, who hasn’t played center field in two years and hardly hits left-handers anymore. They are set at the corner outfield spots with Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye.

But he’s had a decent July, batting .271 with five home runs and 17 RBI, his best month of the season. He ranks sixth on the all-time run list with 608.

Griffey, 38, is in the final guaranteed year of a nine-year, $116.5-million contract. The club holds an option for next season for $16.5 million, with a $4 million buyout.

Richar batted .230 in 56 games for the White Sox last season and has spent this year in Triple-A. Masset has a 4.63 ERA in 44 2/3 innings for the White Sox this season.

As the clock ticked past noon Manny Standard Time, the Red Sox official said negotiations to unload Ramirez “have a lot of variables and is very complicated.” But a Pirates source sounded more optimistic, saying they are satisfied with their end of the deal, which would send outfielder Jason Bay to the Red Sox. The Pirates, who would get Jeremy Hermida from the Marlins as their centerpiece in the trade, have ceased trade discussions with other teams involving Bay.

Another source familiar with the negotiations said at 12:30 ET that, “It’s getting closer, but there’s still a chance it could fall apart.”

giant picture
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Nothin from nothin leaves nothin.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
animalman sighting!

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Junior is on a sharp decline, it stink's he was lied to when he signed with Cincy, hopefully the pennant chase will liven him up a bit. I'm glad I got to see him play when you take out the steroid freaks he was in the all time HR elite:

Hank Aaron 755
Babe Ruth 714
Willie Mays 660
Ken Griffey, Jr. 608
Frank Robinson 586

Cincy better resign Adam Dunn, Brandon Phillips cannot carry the load alone.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
KEN GRIFFEY HELPS WHITE SOX

If the White Sox make Ken Griffey Jr. a regular starter the question is do the benefits (offense) outweigh the costs (outfield defense)? To answer this question AccuScore simulated the White Sox against top competitors in the American League including the Twins, Red Sox, Angels, Rays and Yankees. Thousands of simulations were run for each of the games, one set with Griffey on the White Sox and one set without.

On average, Griffey improved the White Sox single game winning percentage by +0.8 percent. This does not sound like much on a per game basis but extrapolated over the remainder of the season, it helps the White Sox' total playoff chances. Their odds of winning the division increased by 3.5 percent and making the playoffs by 4.5 percent.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
As glad as I was to see Junior come home, I am equally glad to see him leave. He never seemed happy in Cincinnati.

We all wear a green carnation.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
he seems a bit oversensitive, and the way the call in shows and internet go only the blowhards get on the air. i think the blowhards expected him to be the kid and soured on him when he wasnt/couldnt be anymore.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Adam Dunn was traded today the D'backs.
David Ross was designated for assignment.

The Reds suck.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i already bought my tickets for the 31st two weeks ago, oh well i guess i'll still get to see Corey Patterson bat!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
i already bought my tickets for the 31st two weeks ago, oh well i guess i'll still get to see Corey Patterson bat!

Wow, that is scary. When I first heard that Ross had been designated, I thought, "Geez, he goes, but Corey stays." You and I were thinking similar things.

I.
am.
doomed.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
next thing ya know you'll be thinking, "i'd like to bang some pussy!" and you'll be cured!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll....cincinnati.com

Quote:
READERS: I'm back. Figured I'd share w/ you non-Kentuckians this KY-edition column that was published this morning on the south shore. (Normally, my KY columns appear in the Opinion/Columns dropdown box of cincinnati.com, but this one didn't, so I'll post it here, as it pertains to Adam Dunn.) Perhaps it will provoke a comment or two from detractors of the Big Donkey. -- JE

By John Erardi

Up in the Bit column

Adam Dunn

"Big Donkey"

Left fielder, 2001-2008

“Ranks among the Reds all-time greatest power hitters;

Stands 4th in home runs with 270; 2nd in slugging pct.;

hit 1 HR every 13.8 at-bats, tops in club history.

Hit 40 or more HR 4 consecutive seasons; 2nd player in club

history to produce 100 RBI, 100 walks and score 100

runs in same season (3 times). After his trade to Arizona in August, 2008, he completed another 40 HR, 100 walk season, making him only the second player in baseball history to accomplish that in five consecutive years.”

Something like the above is how I believe Adam Dunn’s plaque for the Reds Hall of Fame will read someday. I am writing about him today, because I first met him in 2001 when he was a Louisville Bat in Triple-A., the Reds top farm club. For me, that makes him a Kentucky story. Dunn enjoyed his time in Louisville .

Seven years ago, I was in Fort Mill , N.C. , to do a story on the attempted miracle comeback of Jose Rijo, after six arm surgeries. Dunn had helped with that comeback, not with a three-run homer to keep Rijo in the game, but with an all-the-way-in-the-air throw to Bats catcher Corky Miller to get a big out that allowed Rijo to survive a tough, third inning. Rijo finished that game strong, and soon after brought down the house (at then-Cinergy Field) on one of the most emotional nights I ever experienced in the ballpark that was home to the Big Red Machine.

I believe that Dunn is going to go down as one of the best players in franchise history. I think he’s Ted Kluszewski with a lot more strikeouts and no Frank Robinson to help him get into a pennant race (1956). I think he’s Wally Post with not as many hits but a lot more walks and no “Robby” to take him to the World Series (1961). Make of that what you will, and don’t take it as a slam on Ken Griffey Jr. – he wasn’t the player he was here in Seattle . And of course, both the ’56 and ’61 teams -- and some of the ones in between and a little after -- had the type of pitching the Reds haven’t had since 1999, two years before Dunn arrived.

It’s an unpopular opinion in Greater Cincinnati to say you are an Adam Dunn fan.

The subject came up at Dickmann’s Café in Fort Wright Wednesday night where I made an appearance with the Two Angry Guys. I said then what I feel today: Dunn was under-rated. His offense will be hard to replace.

Dunn's negatives are easy to isolate; on a good team, they would fade away.

Simply put, Dunn became the poster boy for a lousy team. Slice and dice the Big Donkey however you want: He couldn't hit for average, wasn’t a graceful fielder, wasn't the clubhouse leader. The misconceptions about him abound: He couldn't hit with runners in scoring position, he hit “meaningless home runs,” he drove in “meaningless runs.” He was a “lousy outfielder.”

There are numbers to disprove all of that. Let us, instead, take you to the meat of the matter.

Bullet: Dunn has a career .380 on-base percentage. That's good for 20th among active big-league players with 3,000 or more plate appearances.

Bullet: Dunn is one of only 14 players to drive in 90 or more runs in each of the last 4 seasons.

Bullet: Dunn is one of only 10 players to score 90 or more runs in each of the last 4 seasons. The only other players on the RBI/runs scored lists are Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, David Ortiz. Miggy Cabrera and Bobby Abreu.

Bullet: In career walk-off home runs, Dunn is tied with Pujos, A-Rod and Chipper Jones with seven. Among active players, only Vladimir Guerrerro, David Ortiz and Jim Thome have more walk-off home runs than Dunn. Every one of the hitters ahead of Dunn has at least 700 more plate appearances – and in most cases, 1,000 more.

Bullet: Of Dunn's 270 career home runs, 54 (or 20.0%) have come in what is known as “high leverage” situations. That's a better rate than David Ortiz (18.1%), Manny Ramirez (19.5%), Lance Berkman (17.0%), and Griffey (17.8%)…and anybody else except Pujols (20.9%).

Bullet: About 43% of Dunn's HRs have either tied the game or given the Reds the lead. That's a better rate than A-Rod or Ramirez.

I apologize for all the numbers. But the numbers are who Dunn was here…and who he will be elsewhere. If you are not into numbers, you are probably not into Dunn.

The point: When it comes down to numbers, Dunn wasn’t the one to blame for the last eight years.

The blame belongs to the owners. They didn’t provide him with the supporting cast that would have driven his numbers even higher

"Youtubie"
1000+ posts
"Youtubie"
1000+ posts

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
The YouTube video poster content User I love youtube
100+ posts Fri Aug 15 2008 11:46 PM Reading a post
Forum: Sports and Wrestling
Thread: griffey jr traded to white sox (!!)

Link Copied to Clipboard