Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I thought I'd post something here while I wait on other writers to post new chapters of The Chrononauts.

This is just a little story I thought of based on the idea that Vanguard, TOMB, the MBL, the Royal Society of Rogues, even the JLR and all the rest exist in the same universe and always have. Think of it as the post-Crisis universe circa 1986/1987, after DC's Silver Age and Golden Age universes were merged together with the universes of Fawcett, Quality and Fawcett. I'm not going to deal with any continuity issues that result from such a merge, nor will I attempt to explain what happened to Vanguard or all the other teams that have disappeared, except to hint that they've become inactive or gone underground and aren't having any adventures any more (all because none of YOU are writing them any longer ;\) ).

I'm just going to pick and choose a few elements from the greater universe of these stories whenever it might work. Nobody needs to be familiar with the old universes when reading, either. It's not that kind of story.

It's basically a superhero pastiche.

Last edited by The Time Trust; 2008-12-13 4:47 AM. Reason: name change in line with story
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
And damn the consequences!

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
If it helps any of the old guard to understand it better, here's how I'd classify each of the universes:

The Messageverse: The universe of the MBL and TOMB, and all their auxiliary teams and characters.

The Vanguardverse: The universe of Vanguard, Strikeforce, and all their auxiliary teams and characters.

The Metaverse: A universe that combines the histories of the Messageverse and the Vanguardverse (minus a lot of baggage, such as anything that alters history too much from the real world's timeline), plus a little JLRverse thrown in for good measure. The Metaverse is basically a background, a canvas upon which this story can be told, but while this story is told in detail, the background is painted with a broad brush.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
This is the only non-political thread on the RKMBs!

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk love Moderator SPLURT!
15000+ posts Fri Oct 17 2008 01:39 AM Reading a post
Forum: Writer's Block
Thread: Whatever Happened to Metaman? - talk thread

few posts
few posts
No comments from anyone but the Who's Online Obsessor? Does my story really suck that much?

few posts
few posts
This place is deader than dead.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: TTT Lite
No comments from anyone but the Who's Online Obsessor? Does my story really suck that much?

There's not really much to comment on right now. It'd be like reviewing a book after reading only the first page.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
few posts
few posts
I've written more than 4,000 words! That's 13 pages, and roughly the same as two or three chapters in an average novel. There's plenty of things to comment on.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Most of what you've written are one line dialogs. Not a lot of meat for us to digest yet.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
few posts
few posts
Excuses, excuses...

few posts
few posts
Seriously, though, I don't plan on changing the writing style for this story. Since Ben Fowler is a journalist, much of the story will be conversational dialogue. Don't expect much exposition. I'm in a minimalist phase right now. ;\)

The story is basically my way of exploring the Metaverse from a civilian's perspective, one character at a time, without defining the universe too much, at least all at once.

Last edited by TTT Lite; 2008-10-21 3:34 PM. Reason: had more to add
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
If that's how you want to play it...

It's terrible. I have never seen words linked together in such a way as to make me wish to vomit to purge my very existence of the ideas and images which they convey as your writing does. You should feel ashamed to call yourself a human being having written such drivel. Please, end your life now, this very second, to spare the rest of the God fearing world the hemorrhoid of literature that you call your writing.

There. Are you happy now? Huh? Is this what you wanted? Does this make you happy?

few posts
few posts
You bastard!

You...

...bastard.

few posts
few posts
I'll never write again...

...until my next post.

"Youtubie"
1000+ posts
"Youtubie"
1000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
So... I'm guessing you're ignoring this story now to write your other one.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I've actually been writing the other one since the end of September on my BLAMguard site, and I'm reposting here what I wrote there.

As for this story, I got busy with work and didn't have the time to update it on a daily basis as before. I wrote a partial chapter that I haven't gotten around to completing yet.

Since it takes place in "real-time," each chapter taking place on the day it is written, I'll have to explain what Ben Fowler's been up to since the last post.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I changed the title of the story and this talk thread. Originally, I was just playing around with the "Metaverse" characters in a different way, but I've begun to grow fond of ol' Ben Fowler. In a couple of posts I'll wrap up this story and follow it up with a new one where this one leaves off.

Link Copied to Clipboard