Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Animalman, what kind of moves do you think the Reds should make this off season? What moves do you think they will actually make?

I like the idea(of mine) to trade for Magglio Ordonez, what is you take?

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/11/reds_lose_affeldt_to_giants.html

Quote:
The Reds efforts to retain three free agent veterans from their bullpen took another hit on Monday as left-hander Jeremy Affeldt signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Giants.

Free agent right-handed set-up man David Weathers stated last week he wasn't expecting to return to Cincinnati, which also has Mike Lincoln as an unsigned free agent. Without Weathers and Affeldt, the Reds and GM Walt Jocketty will likely have to increase efforts to shore up the bullpen for the seventh and eigthth innings.

"Walt called us on Thursday right before the opening of the market. It was the only conversation I knew of my agent having with him," Affeldt told MLB.com by phone from Maui. "Nothing serious came out of it and we went from there."

4 million a year seems cheap, I don't know why the Reds passed.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
According to this, the Reds are going to be in the $80 million range next year, which doesn't suggest participatory intentions for the free agent proceedings this winter.

Four million is a lot to spend on middle relief when Bob Castellini is saying "look at the Rays" in a conversation about what he intends to do with the team payroll. The rate of attrition for relievers is relatively high compared to starters and position players.

Personally, I feel the Reds are very similar to the Texas Rangers. Both have some nice young pieces due to an increased focus on developing talent internally, and both rank at the bottom of the league in defensive efficiency(last and second to last, to be precise), which greatly effects the output of their pitching staffs. Alex Gonzalez and Ryan Freel both missed a good chunk of time next year, and with their health assumed for next season, the Reds have definite room for improvement in team defense.

I think they'll probably add a cheap outfielder(Magglio seems a little pricey but not totally inconceivable I suppose), and listen for trade offers.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Bless you!

Link Copied to Clipboard