Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10149362-75.html

Quote:
There were plenty of weak spots that led to Microsoft's disastrous December quarter, but one that didn't get much attention Thursday was how badly the Zune did.

Tucked away in Microsoft's quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, however, was a startling figure.

"Zune platform revenue decreased $100 million, or 54 percent, reflecting a decrease in device sales," Microsoft said. That's quite a drop.

Apple, by contrast, saw its iPod unit sales up 3 percent, while revenue dropped by 16 percent. It still racked up $3.3 billion in revenue, as compared with less than $100 million for the Zune.

In an interview Friday afternoon, Zune marketing director Adam Sohn said a number of factors were to blame.

"It's the category, it's the business, it's the economy," Sohn said, noting that despite a software upgrade, Microsoft entered the holidays with essentially the same hardware it had a year earlier.

In November, Microsoft chopped the prices on its flash-based Zune devices amid both competitive and broader economic pressures.

That meant that revenue was somewhat lower than Microsoft had projected, although Sohn insisted that unit sales were basically in line with what the company had figured on.

"We met our internal plan for (the) holiday," he said, adding that a year ago the company was also boosted by strong sales of a heavily discounted, older 30GB hard drive-based model.

With Microsoft announcing a variety of big cost cuts on Thursday, there were plenty of people suggesting Microsoft should just exit the Zune hardware business entirely.

Microsoft is a company on the decline. Google is over taking them on the internet, Apple on music players, Firefox with web browsers, given the trouble with the new OS I wouldn't be surprised to see Linux gain some major share in the next 5 years.

Their biggest problem is the monopoly of Windows made them think that in every aspect of business that consumers would automatically follow their lead.

A perfect example from the article:

"Sohn said, noting that despite a software upgrade, Microsoft entered the holidays with essentially the same hardware it had a year earlier."

They didn't even bother to upgrade the hardware, they just expected people to buy more.

Had Sony not overpriced the PS3 I suspect they would have been dead last in the gaming consoles this year as well.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
Had Sony not overpriced the PS3 I suspect they would have been dead last in the gaming consoles this year as well.

Would it have been worth the sacrifice though? They've already lost thousands more employees than Microsoft while selling at a loss in a declining economy.

I would like nothing more than to see Microsoft crumble into nothing, but they're still billions of dollars ahead of....Well anyone. They're not going anywhere for quite some time.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I would like nothing more than to see Microsoft crumble into nothing, but they're still billions of dollars ahead of....Well anyone. They're not going anywhere for quite some time.

-Sincerely Rome

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

-Sincerely Detroit

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

-Sincerely The Soviet Union

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
-Sincerely Lehman Brothers

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
-Sincerely Israe...oh, wait.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Supposedly their going to discontinue the Zune. There are some people that love it but its never really caught on.

Google has been working on a OS for years now. Chrome is part of it. If they release it for free it will be extremely popular. Not enough to overtake windows but it will make a dent.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The transition from Windows to any other operating system would take a long time.
Too many people who own PCs are just not tech savvy enough to switch to anything else, and think Windows is the only operating system out there.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
-Sincerely Broadcast TV

Lor Offline
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
zune was nice because you can upload any song you wanted on it, unlike others where you have to buy them to have them on there without a mod.

the only major problem with zune is well, lol, certain models crashed after the new year of the "y2k syndrome." they were a bit bulky to, but i LOVED the halo3 version anyway. lol

glad to be of pleasurable service

"don't worry hunny, we'll dig our own graves..."

1,032,000 points!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lor
zune was nice because you can upload any song you wanted on it, unlike others where you have to buy them to have them on there without a mod.

I can't think of a single song I haven't been unable to load onto an iPod using some freeware (if any).

Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
The transition from Windows to any other operating system would take a long time.
Too many people who own PCs are just not tech savvy enough to switch to anything else, and think Windows is the only operating system out there.

The two biggest things that Windows has going for it are: (1) the fact that some industries/professions have yet to develop much software for Mac or Linux and can't switch yet (for example at least half the programs a law office might use don't come for any operating system other than Windows); (2) the fact that so many institutional clients (schools, government, etc.) are currently plugged into using it.

But eventually some companies that work with Linux are going to figure what, for example, software they can sell to the state to replace the Windows stuff and then Windows is fucked.

With that being said...

Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
Google is over taking them on the internet...

...which is a shame because Google makes Microsoft look benign when it comes to monopolistic and overbearing corporate behavior.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
As long as the music is in mp3 format, or on a CD, there's no reason why it can't transfer to iTunes...then to your ipod.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
iTunes is the biggest problem with the iPod over most other MP3 players.
Because of the need for that software, and the whole AAC file format, I have been severely put off by it.

Most other players act as a hard drive, and allow you to just drag and drop like you would do with any other drive.

This also makes it easier for you to transfer to someone elses PC, as my understanding of the iPod is that once its on your iPod, a file cannot be transferred back to a PC, and certainly not in MP3 format. (is this the case?)

Granted, my MP3 is very bulky, which is something the iPod has it beaten on, but thats because I wanted an MP4 player as well, with a decent sized screen.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Oh, and I should point out, there was a guy I used to work with who owned an iPod, and was always defending it when I said iPods are only owned by women and gays, but when he lost/broke it (I forget which) he replaced it with a Zune, which he said was much better.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
my understanding of the iPod is that once its on your iPod, a file cannot be transferred back to a PC, and certainly not in MP3 format. (is this the case?)

I believe that there are now ways to transfer them back.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
but you can't simply drag and drop files?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
From what my mate said, you can drag and drop if you use some kinda hack or something, but if you want to load songs onto it, you have to use iTunes!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
There's hacks you can use but it makes it harder to use itunes.

Its just like any other mac product, they cut down on features to make is easier for the masses.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
but you can't simply drag and drop files?

Not like a Zune or any mp3 player that's not an ipod. You can treat one as a hard drive, but the only way to transfer a music file to someone else's computer is if they also have iTunes (I think). With my girlfriend's mp3 player (not a zune) you can transfer a file to the player's folder, it reads the song then plays it. With an ipod, you're dragging and dropping the file into the iTunes software where it stays. Now when you rip a CD onto iTunes, the format of the file changes to one that will be supported. That doesn't go for video files which must be converted before transfer. I have yet to figure that out without spending 50 dollars on software or buying an episode off the itunes store.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
There's hacks you can use but it makes it harder to use itunes.

Its just like any other mac product, they cut down on features to make is easier for the masses.

Reminds me of AOL...

Lor Offline
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
 Originally Posted By: Lor

I can't think of a single song I haven't been unable to load onto an iPod using some freeware (if any).

Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
iTunes is the biggest problem with the iPod over most other MP3 players.
Because of the need for that software, and the whole AAC file format, I have been severely put off by it.

Most other players act as a hard drive, and allow you to just drag and drop like you would do with any other drive.

This also makes it easier for you to transfer to someone elses PC, as my understanding of the iPod is that once its on your iPod, a file cannot be transferred back to a PC, and certainly not in MP3 format. (is this the case?)

Granted, my MP3 is very bulky, which is something the iPod has it beaten on, but thats because I wanted an MP4 player as well, with a decent sized screen.

glad to be of pleasurable service

"don't worry hunny, we'll dig our own graves..."

1,032,000 points!

Link Copied to Clipboard