Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5181 2002-04-05 11:13 PM
300+ posts
OP Offline
300+ posts
Okay, this movie ain't no Animal House.

It's not even Sorority Boys, which was infinately better.

Having said that, the movie does have a few scattered laughs, although not enough. I don't know about you, but most stuff nowadays that has the National Lampoon title attached to it just isn't that funny. The last two NL flicks I can think of that were decent were "Attack of the 5'5" Foot Women" and "Senior Trip". Both were much more hilarious that Van Wilder.

Scenes that are meant to be funny are either just too flat or too gross. Tim Matheson, who I thought had a bigger part, only appears at the beginning and end of the film.

Hopefully "The New Guy" will fare better when it opens.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tobias Christopher:
It's not even Sorority Boys, which was infinitely better.

Thats SCARY!!!!!

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Van Wilder didn't look that funny from the trailers...

500+ posts
500+ posts
Let's be honest. National Lampoons' stuff has been going downhill since Christmas vacation. I mean, that was where it was definitely noticeable for me. Christmas was not as funny as Vacation or European Vacation, and in terms of the "collegiate" stuff, the only thing they did that was good was of course, Animal House. There was a thing called Senior Prom or something. I don't know if that ever made it to theatres. Only saw bits of it on Comedy Central, had Corey Feldman in it. Boy did it suck. Class Trip wasn't that great either. I remembered renting it and wasn't all that impressed. There were some funny parts, but it was overly stale. Lampoon seemed to be living the same jokes on both fronts, the college stuff and the vacations (Vegas Vacation?)

I think the coolest thing that happened, was when Ivan Reitman went to the Sundance Festival and saw a Frat Party documentary filmed by some guy. He wanted that guy to do the script that eventually became Road Trip, which to Reitman, was more or less a sequel to Animal House. Reitman produced Animal House (or did he direct it?) Anyways, I can definitely see where he is coming from.

Watching the movie and having Tom Green doing the college campus tour, talking about naked woman washing each other other and all the shit that goes on with the Black Fraternity, it really is a good movie. The Horatio Sanz segment has me making sure I never complain about my food.

That, to me, is better than a National Lampoon movie. (See the unrated version for more in the shower scene )

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I thought Road Trip0 sucked hardcore. Tom Green is so damn annoying and unfunny. Sure, he's creative, but he's not funny. He's the biggest wannabe Howard Stern that I've ever seen. I agree that the Horatio Sanz was funny, though.

Lampoon isn't as good as it used to be. I thought Van Wilder had some potential, especially with the casting of Ryan Reynolds. Too bad it sounds like crap.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Soy un perdedor:
..... Only saw bits of it on Comedy Central, had Corey Feldman in it. Boy did it suck.

I refuse to beleive Corey Feldman made a bad movie!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
get out of my dreams and into my car....

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
National Lampoon magazine kicked ass in the 70s and 80s!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
My favorite was using nude women as furniture.

Link Copied to Clipboard