rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Civilization V announced, on next GamePro cover

Quote:
The next game in the highly successful Civilization franchise from Firaxis and 2K Games has been announced this morning. Exclusive details and interviews with Sid Meier, Jon Shafer, and other Civilization alumni will appear in the next issue of GamePro. And yes, the game is hex-based this time.
Civilization V announced, on next <em>GamePro</em> cover

Following the news that Sid Meier's Facebook game, Civilization Network, will move into a Beta phase this June, 2K Games and Firaxis has confirmed rumors and announced the next "full" sequel in the Civilization franchise. Civilization V has been designed to reinvigorate the classic turn-based strategy genre with a brand new engine built that includes an entirely new combat system, and deeper diplomatic interactions. Beyond the official announcement, further details on the game, including interviews with Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games, and Civ V project lead Jon Shafer will appear in the April issue of GamePro. The magazine begins shipping to subscribers this week, and will be on U.S. newsstands on March 9. The cover image, seen here, is an original rendering of George Washington, who appears in the game along with an assortment of new world leaders that have not appeared in the franchise before.

From the press release:

Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

“Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we’re excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series.”

No release date has been announced yet.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #1107614 2010-02-18 5:40 PM
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fuck yeah.

Civ IV still RAWKS, though. I still lose way too often on that FUCKER...Civ Revolutions was more accessable.

I don't want Civ V to be dumbed down, but making it more like Revolutions wouldn't hurt...

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Looks like I'm going to have to buy another computer soon.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
This might come out in the Fall. Along with Starcraft 2 and the World of Warcraft relaunch expansion.

rex #1107647 2010-02-18 9:03 PM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
you sound stoked.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You should see how hard my nipples are.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Appartly.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

rex #1108970 2010-02-27 5:21 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Nice!

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Five Ways Civilization V Will Change the Series By Anthony Gallegos | Mar 10, 2010 It's not just for the hardcore anymore.

Quote:
A lot of gamers have the perception that the Civilization games are too hardcore, too vast in scope and required skills. I understand the feeling, because even though I consider myself a fairly savvy PC gamer, Civilization IV still manages to intimidate me when I try to take full control over the minutia of directing a nation -- I mostly get along by automating a lot of the smaller decisions while I focus on the big picture. I'm all for micromanaging to an extent, but at some point I need to delegate responsibilities, as any good dictator would.

Enter Civilization V, which developer Firaxis aims to make the most approachable entry in the venerable PC franchise yet. While it won't be as simple as the critically acclaimed Civilization: Revolution -- a game that watered down the series to its bare essentials, which worked well for the platforms it released on -- it does take strides to make this the Civ that caters to both hardcore and newcomer alike. Civ5 also makes small but significant changes to the core gameplay, and adds awesome support for mods. This alone will have Civ players eagerly shelling out cash for what will largely appear a rehash to the uninitiated.

Wondering what the die-hards are excited about? Here are five ways Civ5 will change the game from past versions, as well as make it easier than ever to get into.

Hexagons are the New Squares

Editor's Note: As several people have pointed out in the comments, I was incorrect in my assertion that hexagons give more options, as squares in past Civ games actually gave players eight ways to move. I apologize for the confusion, as I have myself spent many, many hours with Civ IV, but just had a lapse in my memory when it came time to write the article. What Hexagons do for Civ V is give players a clearer understanding of where they can move, and where they can be potentially attacked from, as players can now see very clearly where each space makes contact with another. Thanks for helping point out the error!

Civilization has always been a turn-based game in which you moved units on a giant board of squares. Civ5 is going to change all that by ditching the confinement of squares for the liberation of six-sided hexagons. The hope is that the additional directional possibilities will give units more natural movements on the board, as well as more places for the player to move them to. Players in combat will now have more avenues for attacking and defending, while players just trying to get from A to B can now make their units take the shortest route possible, rather than an awkward jaunt that makes their units move like robots.

Revolutionary Warfare

In past Civ games players would mass units on a single space, creating what's often referred to as "stacks of doom" -- essentially overwhelming armies that would walk all over any opposing force. In Civ5, however, you can't have more than one unit per hexagon. No longer can players amass deceptively large armies in a small area, making it so players will not only have a better idea of what they're facing in a fight, but also a clearer understanding of when another nation is moving a serious force their way while proclaiming peaceful intent.

Combat in the demo showed that the new emphasis is on deployment, with key melee fighters being placed up front, while archers -- who can now fire over units in front of them -- provided support from the rear. It's no real-time strategy game, and math equations still largely determine whether you'll win or lose in a fight, but the new emphasis on maneuvering forces -- as well as the game's decreased army sizes, making each unit more valuable -- are welcome changes that not only look to make each fight more significant, but also make combat more approachable for new players.

For Love of Country... err, City

Previously players would create a ton of cities in order to grab up all the important land around them, placing "stacks of doom" within the cities for defense. Civ5 does away not only with the stacks, but also with traditional city combat. Cities now defend themselves, with their HP based on their total populations. This means that players now have to focus on placing their armies in a formation that better defends the territory around the city (ideally keeping enemies from ever reaching a town to begin with), as well as build fewer cities overall so that the few they have can expand enough to reach large population levels. To help with this players can spend their gold to absorb new pieces of land around the city, making land-grabbing more an exercise of healthy empire building than an exercise in who can spam cities and create some sort of prehistoric urban sprawl.

The word "city" will also become increasingly important in Civ5 thanks to the addition of city-states. These small, single-city nations are available for players to take by force if they wish, but can also be dealt with through diplomacy. Diplomatic relationships with city-states can result in additional armed forces in times of need, and can also help stem the growth of an opposing nation that borders the small state. The hope is that dealing with city-states will not only add depth to diplomatic relations, but also force the player to think about when to go to war in order to defend their foreign interests (like when a friendly city-state is attacked by another empire).

Mods for All

For all but the most hardcore PC gamers, mods -- player-created additions to a game -- are often a foreign concept. Firaxis wants everyone to participate in the mod aspect of of Civ5, though, and is not only including what it touts as the most user-friendly world creator yet, but also an in-game browser for mods. Through the mod browser in Civ5 players will be able to create, share, browse, and download player creations within the game. The hope is that by removing the additional roadblocks -- i.e. knowing where to find fan-sites that have mods to download -- new and previously mod-averse players alike will become more active members of the online community.

Confidants Give Confidence

Between the return of Advisers from Civilization III (and more recently Revolution), as well as the new notification system, players will have plenty of help when dealing with pressing decisions. Advisers give tips when dealing with foreign nations or on the direction you're taking your own nation, while the notifications that pop up on the right side of the screen make sure the player is aware of anything that might need their attention from turn to turn. Have a worker who has gone idle for a prolonged period of time? The notifications will let you know. Empire-building is a big venture, but now plenty of help is available to those who aren't ready to be a supreme, all-knowing leader. Don't worry -- everyone needs a little help to unleash their inner Genghis Khan.

rex #1111249 2010-03-19 1:02 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Will this come out for the PS3?

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
September 21

For whatever reason I could never get into 4 as much as I did with 3. I'm hoping 5 isn't overly complicated like I thought 4 was.

rex #1119123 2010-06-11 5:21 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Civ 4 was a bitch...I defeated the AI one time out of 12 games or so...Civ Revolutions on the 360 was fun, although a little too scaled-down...

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

rex #1120419 2010-06-22 11:24 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Looks epic! I'll buy that.

Prometheus #1120468 2010-06-23 12:18 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Only things that sucks is I'll probably never get back to Civ IV...I bought the expansion pack, and only tried it once...

25+ posts
25+ posts
or did you...

cause that how i butter my rolls
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
There will be a demo next month.

rex #1124301 2010-08-05 5:08 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I haven't played a civilization game in 10 years. Are they still turn based or real time? In which case how are they different from Age of Empires?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
1- Civ games are turn based
2- They are different in many ways: Age of Empire games are real time strategy, AOE games do not feature modern or futuristic buildings or units, Civ games take much longer to complete, and Civ games are much more complex.
3- You are still the scum of the Earth, and your written works should be banned from the Internet.

MisterJLA #1124341 2010-08-06 12:00 AM
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/system_requirements

August 5, 2010

Civilization V System Requirements

Many of you have been asking for this for a while now, and so I am happy to finally present to you the official system requirements for Civilization V:

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.

rex #1124342 2010-08-06 12:03 AM
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Looks like I'll be buying a 9800 soon.

rex #1124345 2010-08-06 1:28 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Gobdamn them and their quad core processors!

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I don't really believe you'll need a quad core. Isn't it just as good to have a 3.7ghz dual core? Or do I not understand how multiple processors work?

rex #1124350 2010-08-06 3:00 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
the sys reqs are scary because of the quad core req. Most games don't care too much about the cpu (some even have single cores as the minimum, as long as it's within the ghz range)

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
oh, and reax. The ghz can never be used cumulatively. a 1.8 ghz quad core would be slower than a 3.7 ghz dual core (provided that they have the same architecture e.g. both wolfdales) on normal single-threaded or dual threaded applications.

On the other hand, if a game or application is designed to take advantage of multiple cores, the developers could theoretically divide the programs into several threads and have them run at the same time on several cores, which could make it faster on a quad core than a dual core.

Quad cores are faster not because they can actually chew data faster, but because they can chew several instances of data at the same time (but the application needs to be programmed to run that way.)

the i7s are faster clock-for-clock even without the extra cores, though. due to their different architecture.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
No Civ game has ever required a super powerful computer. This is the first game I've seen with a quad core requirement that wasn't a FPS or something like that.

rex #1124389 2010-08-07 2:39 AM
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://itunes.apple.com/app/civilization-revolution/id324563544?mt=8

Civ Rev on iphone is free to download today. This is one of the few times I wish I had an iphone or ipod touch.

rex #1124473 2010-08-07 11:42 PM
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Just downloaded it, thanks reax!

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The demo and the game are coming out on the same day now, September 21st.

rex #1126770 2010-08-29 9:53 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
rex for Arcade Room sub-mod...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
allan1 can never truly be replaced...

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.ustream.tv/2kgameslive

They will be streaming two hours of game play at 1pm pacific.

rex #1128276 2010-09-13 7:05 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sweet.

I doubt I'll ever get back to Civ IV: Beyond the Sword, though...I really want to crack that bitch!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Watching now...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Perv!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
They just adopted a social policy! Hawt!

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Meh, I know I'm gonna but it. I don't want to watch other people play it in a two three inch window.

rex #1128283 2010-09-13 8:53 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
http://www.ustream.tv/2kgameslive

They will be streaming two hours of game play at 1pm pacific.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I watched it for a couple minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard