Print Thread
allan1 Offline OP
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
OP Offline
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Newsarama:New Batman uniform

So when Bruce Wayre returns,so does a new uniform and with it the yellow oval which hasn't been seen since the end of No Man's Land all those years ago.Along with it a new Grant Morrison title "Batman Inc." that has Bruce Wayne traveling,recruiting and training people to wear the uniform.Still no word on whether or not Dick grayson will continue in the role though.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Bruce Wayne traveling,recruiting and training people to wear the uniform.

So, basically, with GL now a hot title we're going to get the Batman Corps? Seriously?

What a crock of shit. More silver age "Batmen of many nations" fanwank from Morrison.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
oh, so now you agree he's doing SA fanwank.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

oh, so now you agree he's doing SA fanwank.

Now?

Originally Posted By: the G-man 08/28/08 03:26 PM
To me, this book [Batman RIP] is like the ultimate in fanwank. Morrie is self-gratifying his own, personal, desire to put all sorts of 1950s era shit back into the bat-books.

Originally Posted By: the G-man 09/29/08 05:16 PM
....DC is at its lowest point in decades, in no small part due to a proliferation of fanwank crossovers [like Final Crisis] and the theory that editors should suck up to the talent and not actually improve stories....

Originally Posted By: the G-man 03/14/09 10:17 AM
for all the hit that Johns gets here about "silver age fanwank," Morrie and, to a lesser extent ...Millar, are just as guilty. The only difference is that the Brits often pretend it's a pisstake, a reimagining or a satire.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:

So, basically, with GL now a hot title we're going to get the Batman Corps? Seriously?

What a crock of shit. More silver age "Batmen of many nations" fanwank from Morrison.

you have become the comic book guy. surpassing prometheus and rex. pariah... still has some sorta title. im not exactly sure what. maybe just general shithead or something. we can discuss this later.

costume wise, meh. the first one looks like a tim sale poster, with a fancy new / old / new logo. i like that the belt color appears to mesh with the suit, and it appears undieless. the second one shows a somewhat different look, with those "stripey" things that have become all the rage in modern suit designs, ala ultimate x-men. the belt here appears to be back to yellow already, the cape no longer attaches to the logo, etc. that was fast.

in fact, there are enough differences between these first two teaser images that indicate the "costume changes" are just artistic interpretations. to me, that would make them no more dramatic than the barrionuevo renderings a few years back, who just drew things the way he wanted them, without any form of continuity reasoning:

so if, in total, the idea of "yellow or not" is the driving factor of change in the past 20 years, i think its a missed opportunity. between the this, knights end, "one year later", and a few other storylines along the way DC had a logical reasoning to evolve the suit - not to mention a chance to potentially link in the nolan films.

they need not even be dramatic changes; simply evolutions. he doesn't have to grow his hair long, attach crossbows to his thighs, or trade in a cape for feathers. but wearing a shirt that is simply a different hue from the cape and gloves doesn't fit the storyline-driven mentality that batman is an asskicking think-machine. donning a flashy belt buckle with your own personal insignia is a move for prince (the "martial-artist formally known as..." ?). wearing undies outside your pants some 80 years after creation is certainly an odd, justification-less choice.

it's still a story-first medium, and grant morrison still has ample credit to his name, in my book. i'm just disappointed more could not have been altered to make an "all-new!!" claim.

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You just spent several paragraphs (and a couple of hotlinked pics) defending the costume change when my complaint was clearly directed at Morrison's continued use/reuse of tired silver age concepts like "Batman of Many Nations" and NOT at the new costume.

Please try and keep up.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
You just spent several paragraphs (and a couple of hotlinked pics) defending the costume change when my complaint was clearly directed at Morrison's continued use/reuse of tired silver age concepts like "Batman of Many Nations" and NOT at the new costume.

my opening lines were directed towards you and your comment. the rest of my spew was a dialog on the topic as a whole. it also was clearly not a defense of the costume change.

and thus, pariah's reign has ended. you have just taken from him all that he had left.

giant picture
Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

The only nit-pik I had with this costume was the pouches (as I've always viewed the utility belt as something hi-tech designed for the wearer and something that can't easily be broken into or taken off of him by someone else... not a bunch of pouches with buttons)

As for the new costume... meh.

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Quote:

you have become the comic book guy. surpassing prometheus and rex. pariah... still has some sorta title. im not exactly sure what. maybe just general shithead or something. we can discuss this later......in bed.

I liked the costume change they did in 1995 when they had him return fulltime after Knightfall. It was basically a comic version of the Keaton costume and it looked good. He wore that through No Man's Land and it fit the character. I'm surprised they aren't pushing for more of a Nolan design.

my opening lines were directed towards you and your comment. the rest of my spew was a dialog on the topic as a whole. it also was clearly not a defense of the costume change.

and thus, pariah's reign has ended. you have just taken from him all that he had left.... in bed.

Bow ties are coool.
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
like I'm going to sit down and read all your G-Gay posts (either then or now. . .).

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
I liked the costume change they did in 1995 when they had him return fulltime after Knightfall. It was basically a comic version of the Keaton costume and it looked good. He wore that through No Man's Land and it fit the character.

the batman suit after knightsend lasted a single arc, and not even all four issues in that arc. it was a cool suit though: no undies, gloves and boots the same color as the suit itself, darker tone. at the end of that story line ("troika"...?) he returned to the traditional suit he's worn most of the past 35 years: blue/gray/yellow/testtubes. perhaps it was a bit darker, but that seemed dependent upon the art team.

the pouch belt and sans-yellow logo (bookending "no man's land") were the only other variants, as well as the return to fresh undies.

Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
I'm surprised they aren't pushing for more of a Nolan design.

aye. it'd be good timing, and it's well designed: perfect utilitarian look. even the "arkham asylum" video game suit took many nods from the theatrical rendering.

giant picture
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

the batman suit after knightsend lasted a single arc, and not even all four issues in that arc. it was a cool suit though: no undies, gloves and boots the same color as the suit itself, darker tone. at the end of that story line ("troika"...?) he returned to the traditional suit he's worn most of the past 35 years: blue/gray/yellow/testtubes. perhaps it was a bit darker, but that seemed dependent upon the art team.

It was Troika. The 4-part story arc with the russian villains and the fancy covers and the unheard of price of like $2.
You're right about the outfit? I looked it up and after Troika it did shift back towards the older outfit depending on the coloring, though it was always a darker gray and blue than before. Sort of a marriage of the two outfits. But the covers I'm looking at don't seem to feature the "underwear." The blue tints are on the cape and gloves.

Quote:
the pouch belt and sans-yellow logo (bookending "no man's land") were the only other variants, as well as the return to fresh undies.

ease up. his mom died before she could teach him that he should always wear clean underwear. That is the real tragedy of Bruce Wayne.
I did like the pouch look for No Man's Land because it fit the need of the storyline. In regular comics I prefer the sleek compartment look of the belt.

Quote:

aye. it'd be good timing, and it's well designed: perfect utilitarian look. even the "arkham asylum" video game suit took many nods from the theatrical rendering.

I'm really surprised they aren't milking the Nolan films for all their worth. They milked the hell out of the 90's films and they weren't respected like Nolan's films are.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think the reason is that the Nolanverse costume is too hard to draw consistently. Seriously. Half the reason that artists draw characters who wear tights is that it saves the artists from having to draw a lot of details.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Rob Kamphausen Administrator cobra kai
15000+ posts 08/14/10 02:07 PM Reading a post
Forum: Comic Books
Thread: Batman:The return of the yellow oval

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
25+ posts
25+ posts
or was i...

cause that how i butter my rolls
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
yes

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I think the reason is that the Nolanverse costume is too hard to draw consistently. Seriously. Half the reason that artists draw characters who wear tights is that it saves the artists from having to draw a lot of details.

i would doubt that is the reason. or, if it is the reason, it's shit. that's like saying there can't be a arc with more than 10 conversations because writers are too lazy. there are ways to simplify the nolan design to make it comic book friendly. i don't think it'd be all that more complex than many other suits in comics - it's essentially just drawing armor segments instead of muscle details; often even looking interchangeable. a quick tour through sites like deviant art, and you can see a number of fans have already done just that, like here:

either way, here's two more renders of the direction DC is going:

again, there's a distinctly different look to each of these two, even just compared to one another. the top one looks very similar to the standard design, with some artistic tweaks (yellow symbol, invisible thong, darker tones). the second shot looks... odd. has a very bright, solid-color look to it. kind of like what they would design as "future batman" in the year 1963.

i find it to be too bold; the lighter colors, the logos, the clearly stylized design, etc. seems to be heading in the opposite direction from the nolan suit, whose every piece has a function.

giant picture
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
ha! rob likes batman!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
9 Registered User(s).
Display Name: Status Title Last Activity Location
Rob Kamphausen Administrator cobra kai
15000+ posts 08/17/10 11:34 AM Reading a post
Forum: Comic Books
Thread: Batman:The return of the yellow oval