Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Maid dispute could hurt Whitman's Latino strategy
By SAMANTHA YOUNG (AP) – 1 hour ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The airwaves in California have been dominated by images of a teary immigrant housekeeper claiming she was mistreated by her billionaire employer and turned away when she asked for citizenship help.

It's far from the message Republican Meg Whitman wants to send to the state's crucial Latino voting bloc as she runs for governor.

Whitman is accused of knowingly having the illegal immigrant housekeeper from Mexico on her payroll for several years in a revelation that has throttled her campaign just as she prepares for a Spanish-language debate Saturday against Democratic opponent Jerry Brown. She needs Latino voters to win in Democratic-leaning California.

Whitman has sought to cast the story in a positive way — careful not to demonize the housekeeper while calling her an extended member of the family. Whitman noted how she and her husband paid her the usual $23-an-hour fee even when they were away on vacation and said the woman is being manipulated by Democratic operatives connected to the campaign of Brown.

Even so, the image of a tough-on-immigration gubernatorial candidate getting ensnared in a messy controversy over the legality of her household help is not helpful to a Republican trying to attract the Hispanic vote.

The narrative of a Hispanic maid feeling she was mistreated by her wealthy employer is a personal one for many in the Hispanic community, and such a scenario playing out in a campaign could hurt Whitman, some experts say.

"The message she sent is a distant, patronizing figure who is willing to use immigrants but doesn't understand their plight," said Louis DeSipio, chairman of Chicano-Latino Studies at the University of California, Irvine. "To the extent Meg Whitman did reach out to Latinos, she's probably lost that initiative."

Whitman addressed the controversy head-on during a news conference Thursday in Santa Monica and will get another chance Saturday when she and Brown meet in their second debate in Fresno. This one is sponsored by Univision and is targeted toward a Hispanic audience.

At the same time, the controversy also could risk Whitman's support among two other key voting blocs: independent voters, who comprise about 20 percent of the electorate, and conservatives, who might question why Whitman didn't report her housekeeper to federal immigration authorities when she acknowledged being in the country illegally in June 2009.

AP

I'm sure this won't hurt her candidicy at all.

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Listen, if she did break the law then she should face the consequences. But, I'm going to reserve judgment until an investigation is concluded. Otherwise, why aren't they arresting the woman that admitted to--now--a national television audience that she is here illegally and knowingly used false documents to obtain employment? Where is the outrage from the left on that?

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I'm just glad that MEM is on board with reporting illegal aliens. Maybe he woke up today as well.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

It won't, women haters like you wouldn't have voted for her in the first place and her fans don't give a shit about illegal immigrants.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

.... her fans don't give a shit about illegal immigrants.

I'm sure the segment that likes the cheap labor doesn't care.

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy
Listen, if she did break the law then she should face the consequences. But, I'm going to reserve judgment until an investigation is concluded. Otherwise, why aren't they arresting the woman that admitted to--now--a national television audience that she is here illegally and knowingly used false documents to obtain employment? Where is the outrage from the left on that?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
ahhh, the smell of desperation in october. scramble, democrats! scramble! \:lol\:

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Sorry Iggy but trying to make this about the left isn't going to help get a turd elected.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Why do you hate women so much?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
25+ posts
25+ posts

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Sorry Iggy but trying to make this about the left isn't going to help get a turd elected.

Not the point. Said that if Whitman broke the law she should be punished. My point is that the left is pushing that we should be full of empathy for a woman who, purportedly, was paid 23 dollars an hour and is an admitted law breaker. Yet, I still, I don't see the left condemn her for being a liar. The double standard here is beyond obvious. Sure, I may not be the left's biggest fan. But, I am also being genuine in saying that if Meg Whitman knowingly broke the law then she should be called out as a hypocrite and held accountable in our judicial system. On the other hand, I don't see the left saying that her maid should be held accountable for being--admittedly--illegal and for providing false documentation to the employment agency through which the Whitmans hired her.

Whitman may be a turd. I'll leave that to investigators to decide. If she did know, then fuck her. But, why isn't the admitted law breaker being brought to justice, as well? No offense; but if you see that as biased, then you are an idiot.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Where did I push that there should be empathy for the illegal? Seems to me your generalizing about the left without anyone from the left doing what you claim in this thread. I may be guilty of many things but shouldn't I actually be allowed to commit the crime so to speak before you judge me?

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you do seem to have a lot of anger towards women. was rejection the reason you became gay?

500+ posts
500+ posts

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Where did I push that there should be empathy for the illegal? Seems to me your generalizing about the left without anyone from the left doing what you claim in this thread. I may be guilty of many things but shouldn't I actually be allowed to commit the crime so to speak before you judge me?

Okay, well, do you think she should be held accountable for the crimes she committed? Are you willing to hold her to the same standard that you hold Whitman to?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yep. I think probably the difference between us (maybe) is that the government needs to crack down harder on companies that employ illegals. Bigger fines and maybe some jail time for a repeat offense. Make some examples and I bet alot of the problem is solved.

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Actually, I think we are in agreement in that those who knowingly hire illegals should have the book thrown at them. I'm all for crackdowns, heavy fines, and--even--jail time for offenders. I'm just a little tired of it being such a one side or the other issue. Breaking the law is breaking the law. Still, it seems the right (or, at least, the Right's talking heads) say crackdown on illegals and the left (or, like above, their talking heads) say crackdown on the employers. I say, do both.

Link Copied to Clipboard