Print Thread
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
http://www.katu.com/news/entertainment/G...-142932055.html

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) - George Clooney and his father were arrested Friday during a protest outside the Sudanese Embassy, and the actor said he has asked President Barack Obama to engage China on stopping a humanitarian crisis in northern Africa.

The protesters accuse Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir of provoking a humanitarian crisis and blocking food and aid from entering the Nuba Mountains in the county's border region with South Sudan.

Clooney, his father, Nick Clooney, and others were arrested after being warned three times not to cross a police line outside the embassy. Those taken into custody included NAACP President Ben Jealous, Martin Luther King III, actor and comedian Dick Gregory and Democratic U.S. Rep. Jim Moran of Virginia. They were handcuffed and placed into a U.S. Secret Service van.

The arrest came after Clooney met this week with Obama, testified in the Senate and attended a state dinner for British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Clooney told The Associated Press before he was arrested that he can only hope to draw attention to the crisis in Sudan but that he doesn't know if any progress has been made. He said he was impressed, though, with Obama's engagement on the issue.

"It's amazing to sit down with a world leader who knows all of the intricacies of what's going on in Sudan," he said.

The actor said he asked Obama to involve China more in pushing for a solution in Sudan. He said international leaders need to "follow the money" flowing to Sudan's leaders to expose corruption.

"This is a moment where we have a chance to do something because if we don't, in the next three to four months, there's going to be a real humanitarian disaster," Clooney said before his arrest.

"It's such a silly thought to think you're actually succeeding in any of this," he said. "But if it's loud enough and you keep making it loud enough at the very least people will know about it, and you can't say we didn't know. That's the first step."

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
At least he wasn't arrested for drunk driving or beating up some girlfriend.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Yup, that's gonna solve all the problems in sudan.

Maybe he could make a movie about it and make America look like the bad guy. Just like all his other political movies.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
He can get Seann Penn as one of the cast members. Bono will handle the soundtrack.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

...or attacking his own country.

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
Ick. What a stupid publicity stunt.

If Clooney was really that concerned he'd use his money to help them in whatever ways he could (even the small unnoticable things)

Instead, he gets himself arrested knowing full well he's the only protester there that can afford to bail themselves out.

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Doc.Mid-Nite

If Clooney was really that concerned he'd use his money to help them in whatever ways he could ...

Actually, doesn't Clooney give a ton of money to charities and groups and that help the Sudan-Darfur region?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The Economics Of Protest

A friend of mine was recently arrested at an anti-war / pro-peace event she helped organize. This event consisted of blocking one of the largest intersections in downtown Austin with oil cans while hanging a large banner above the street that read, "How Many Lives Per Gallon?" She did this at 7am, and I imagine she was arrested around 7:15 or 7:30, if not earlier.

While I agree with her sentiments, and I'm extremely proud of her for standing up for what she believes in, I do not agree with her tactics. Let me explain why.

1) She was arrested. This helps no one. In my opinion, activists getting arrested is actually detrimental to their cause. A) They are no longer on the street able to promote their cause. B) The general public is given the impression that protesters are miscreants with nothing better to do than cause trouble for the police.

Most people like the police and dislike people who break the law.

2) She was arrested for breaking the law. This was not some violation of civil rights on the part of the police. This was the police doing their job by arresting people who were blocking an intersection. There is nothing evil, inappropriate, or wrong about what the police did.

3) My friend and her compatriots must have spent a lot of time planning and preparing for this activity. They purchased supplies. They made a sign. They spent time and money on this project, which was then seen by the public for only a small amount of time and (due to the road being blocked) by only a few people.

That doesn't seem to be a very good return on their investment.

4) My friend and 7 other people have now been arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. That means they each owe the city up to $2,000 in fines. They will also have to pay for lawyers, and they will spend more time and more effort getting themselves out of jail and out of trouble.

OK. Here's a math problem for everyone.

Let's assume that each of these 8 protesters gets the maximum fine of $2,000. Let us further assume that they spend $2,000 each on legal fees. And let us finally assume that they each spent 40 hours of their time planning the event, carrying it out, and then getting themselves out of jail.

The total amount of time and money spent is $32,000 and 320 man hours. That is a lot of money, and that is a lot of time. And what was the end result? 30 minutes of activity witnessed by a handful of people who most likely found the entire thing tiresome and annoying.

If I had $32,000, 320 man hours and a point to make, what would I do?

I've got a few suggestions about how these good hearted and well intentioned people could have used these resources to much greater effect.

1) Let's stick with the original idea -- they want to make a huge banner that everyone will see. OK. Do that. And then, instead of blocking a major intersection with the sign, hang it from a friendly place. Hang it on the front of their house. Hang it from the front of my house. Rent a truck and hang it there and drive around town all day long.

Not only will this expose more people to the sign, it is perfectly legal. Lots of people will see the sign, get the message, and think, and nobody will get arrested.

2) I'm of the opinion the best way to do get people to agree with you / do something / think is to educate people so that they can make an informed decision about whatever it is you're advocating. The vast majority of the people in this country do not have time to read and research each issue -- even the important ones. So it is important to provide easy-to-digest, even handed information for them so that they can quickly learn about the issue.

This is what books and pamphlets are good for.

I know a bit about printing books, so let me break down what would be possible with $32,000.

Take $2,000 and pay a professional writer who is sympathetic to your cause to write a concise synopsis of your cause. Keep the rhetoric under control. Have the writer give a history of the cause, a bullet point listing of specific issues, and a list of suggested actions that the average citizen can take. These actions should be things that normal, every day people can do like calling their congress representatives, voting for specific candidates, donating money to organisations, and appearing at peaceful protests.

Take $500 and have someone design a booklet with this information in it. Make the booklet attractive, easy to understand, and interesting to look at.

Take $25,000 and print up as many copies as you can print. Say the book is 64 pages long. $25,000 would easily buy 50,000 copies, if not more. That's a lot of copies.

Take the rest of the money and use it to promote the booklet through flyers, stickers and events. Send books to newspapers. Send books to radio stations. Send books to celebrities, organisations, soldiers. Give as many copies away to people who do not know about the issue as possible. Forget your activist buddies. They already know.

Net Result

If all 50,000 copies of your informational booklet make it into the hands of people who previously a) didn't care or b) disagreed, and your even handed and educational stance managed to convince only 10% of them, you've added 5,000 heads to your cause. If you convince 20%, you've added 10,000 heads. That's already as many as were at the first peace march in Austin. That is what making a difference means. And what if you convinced 50% or 75%? You could have a veritable movement on your hands.

Doesn't that sound like a better way to use $32,000 than getting 8 law breakers out of jail?

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: Doc.Mid-Nite

If Clooney was really that concerned he'd use his money to help them in whatever ways he could ...

Actually, doesn't Clooney give a ton of money to charities and groups and that help the Sudan-Darfur region?

Probably. But still, if he really cared about protecting the food and supplies that those charities provide reaching those people, why not help to fund for that protection and work harder for that kind of protection to be funded?

Awareness and funding wise, there are a lot more ways to go about those things other than getting yourself arrested for refusing to not cross a picket line after constant warnings not to.

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
How come nobody is asking the most important question?

Who's comforting Stacy Kiebler?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
David Flair!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

...or attacking his own country.

At least he wasn't pooping on the sidewalk or smashing car windows.

Link Copied to Clipboard