Next Thread
Print Thread
#1179675 2012-05-02 2:00 AM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
How many of their ranks are registered to vote?

How many of their registered voters actually vote?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204479504576637082965745362.html

• Occupy Wall Street movement reflects values that are dangerously out of touch with the broad mass of the American people—and particularly with swing voters who are largely independent and have been trending away from the president since the debate over health-care reform.

The protesters have a distinct ideology and are bound by a deep commitment to radical left-wing policies. On Oct. 10 and 11, Arielle Alter Confino, a senior researcher at my polling firm, interviewed nearly 200 protesters in New York's Zuccotti Park. Our findings probably represent the first systematic random sample of Occupy Wall Street opinion.

Our research shows clearly that the movement doesn't represent unemployed America and is not ideologically diverse. Rather, it comprises an unrepresentative segment of the electorate that believes in radical redistribution of wealth, civil disobedience and, in some instances, violence. Half (52%) have participated in a political movement before, virtually all (98%) say they would support civil disobedience to achieve their goals, and nearly one-third (31%) would support violence to advance their agenda.

The vast majority of demonstrators are actually employed, and the proportion of protesters unemployed (15%) is within single digits of the national unemployment rate (9.1%).

An overwhelming majority of demonstrators supported Barack Obama in 2008. Now 51% disapprove of the president while 44% approve, and only 48% say they will vote to re-elect him in 2012, while at least a quarter won't vote.

Fewer than one in three (32%) call themselves Democrats, while roughly the same proportion (33%) say they aren't represented by any political party.

What binds a large majority of the protesters together -—regardless of age, socioeconomic status or education—- is a deep commitment to left-wing policies: opposition to free-market capitalism and support for radical redistribution of wealth, intense regulation of the private sector, and protectionist policies to keep American jobs from going overseas.

Sixty-five percent say that government has a moral responsibility to guarantee all citizens access to affordable health care, a college education, and a secure retirement—no matter the cost. By a large margin (77%-22%), they support raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans, but 58% oppose raising taxes for everybody, with only 36% in favor. And by a close margin, protesters are divided on whether the bank bailouts were necessary (49%) or unnecessary (51%).

Thus Occupy Wall Street is a group of engaged progressives who are disillusioned with the capitalist system and have a distinct activist orientation. Among the general public, by contrast, 41% of Americans self-identify as conservative, 36% as moderate, and only 21% as liberal. That's why the Obama-Pelosi embrace of the movement could prove catastrophic for their party.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Wait.......you used a link to the WALL STREET JOURNAL to "objectively" answer a question about.....OCCUPY WALL STREET? An organization expressly against Wall Street? \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

And you think that's an honest, fair answer or objective analysis? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

If you want, Jake, I'll write out an "article" and I'll "cite percentages" claiming OWS is right, and Wall Street is wrong. You'll accept that as "proof", just as you would Dave's, right?

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

I'd guess more than half. But that's not the point, is it? Voting has no effect. Do people honestly still believe in the Electoral system? Even after the Florida debacle and all the illegal tampering with voting machines? Come on, seriously. I can't believe anyone still thinks we, the people, elect our leaders. We don't. The Corporations and Banks choose who they want in power. They tell the two parties (and NO OTHER party is allowed to make it, just Reps or Dems) who to push out. Once public perception has been both measured via reaction and coerced via marketing and psychological conditioning (via mass media owned by said corporations), they then decide who is going to run for each party and who will "win" to become President.

Us going to the booth to vote? The illusion of choice. Coke or Pepsi? Boxers or Briefs? Facebook or Twitter? Republican or Democrat?

"Oh, I believe in an Independent Party"

American Conditioning: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

"Oh, I want to vote for Ron Paul"

"What about a third party? A different set of ideas?"

American Conditioning: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

It's always the same. Year after year. Decade after decade. Those in power will hold onto it. Those with no power will be used and abused at the whim of those with power.

You're either for your fellow citizen or you're for the Federal Government and it's Corporate Interests.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Wait.......you used a link to the WALL STREET JOURNAL to "objectively" answer a question about.....OCCUPY WALL STREET? An organization expressly against Wall Street? \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

And you think that's an honest, fair answer or objective analysis? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

If you want, Jake, I'll write out an "article" and I'll "cite percentages" claiming OWS is right, and Wall Street is wrong. You'll accept that as "proof", just as you would Dave's, right?

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

I didn't accept anything as proof.

The article didn't even really answer my question.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

I'd guess more than half. But that's not the point, is it? Voting has no effect. Do people honestly still believe in the Electoral system? Even after the Florida debacle and all the illegal tampering with voting machines? Come on, seriously. I can't believe anyone still thinks we, the people, elect our leaders. We don't. The Corporations and Banks choose who they want in power. They tell the two parties (and NO OTHER party is allowed to make it, just Reps or Dems) who to push out. Once public perception has been both measured via reaction and coerced via marketing and psychological conditioning (via mass media owned by said corporations), they then decide who is going to run for each party and who will "win" to become President.

Us going to the booth to vote? The illusion of choice. Coke or Pepsi? Boxers or Briefs? Facebook or Twitter? Republican or Democrat?

"Oh, I believe in an Independent Party"

"Oh, I want to vote for Ron Paul"

"What about a third party? A different set of ideas?"

American Conditioning: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

It's always the same. Year after year. Decade after decade. Those in power will hold onto it. Those with no power will be used and abused at the whim of those with power.

You're either for your fellow citizen or you're for the Federal Government and it's Corporate Interests.

So, you don't know either.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No, I answered you straight out. Don't be one of those "He didn't say what I wanted to hear so I won't listen to him" people. There's plenty of partisan loonies on these boards, Rob. Don't fall into that category...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No, I answered you straight out. Don't be one of those "He didn't say what I wanted to hear so I won't listen to him" people. There's plenty of partisan loonies on these boards, Rob. Don't fall into that category...

No, you didn't, you sang the Anti-Star-Spangled Banner.

You "guessed" half.

This does not answer my question.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yes, I DID answer you, you childish asshole. I said:

I'd guess more than half.

How is that NOT an answer? Or were you just lazy and wanted someone else to look up mathematical stats for you?

Would you rather I just not talk to you, Jake? You don't seem to be able to handle anything I say. Yet, as ever, you don't seem to be able to provide any alternative to anything I say. You just bitch. Have you always been like this? Maybe you should consider going back to being the silent, hardly-posts, mostly-irrelevant, but we-all-love-Jake. Rather than this "PRO HURT MY FWEELINGS!!! " in every forum-Jake that's appeared in the last couple of months. Either that, or go back to posting under your normal (Rex?) ID.

This butthurt nature of yours is very embarrassing for you...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No, you are correct. I don't know is an answer.

But you didn't say that.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
So, when you make a thread, no one should post in it unless they have absolute stats? Again, stop it man. You're better than this.

Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
to answer the question..

I brew beer now. Brewing beer is cool.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
yeah it's like 42 eleven o'clock or sumthin. tsst tsssst

Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
But Kinda on topic. Those OWS people would be better served... I don't know... Maybe getting a job and working to better yourself instead of standing around and looking for a handout..

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I agree, of those without jobs standing around looking for a handout. For the rest who make a living and still are actively participating in The Movement, I don't really see any evidence of them asking for a handout. And the ones without jobs that aren't asking for a handout. What about them? In fact, I see most are protesting the influence of corporate money on governmental policy. Not asking for anything except fair policies for all. Really, really huge difference to just "jobless asking for a handout". Not as easy to sum up in a catchphrase, I'll admit...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
The guy I quoted was a pollster named Doug Schoen, who is a lifetime Democrat and first came to prominence as a political staffer for the Carter administration.

And he didn't just write an opinion piece, he did polling of OWS protesters, the same way he has various demographic groups for almost 40 years.

Sorry his findings are inconvenient to your own preconceived biases, Pro.

Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
I agree, of those without jobs standing around looking for a handout. For the rest who make a living and still are actively participating in The Movement, I don't really see any evidence of them asking for a handout. And the ones without jobs that aren't asking for a handout. What about them? In fact, I see most are protesting the influence of corporate money on governmental policy. Not asking for anything except fair policies for all. Really, really huge difference to just "jobless asking for a handout". Not as easy to sum up in a catchphrase, I'll admit...

There are always a few Good Apples in a bunch Pro. But from what I have seen from this movement is it is a bunch of lazy early 20 college kids and older hippie type people that don't want to do anything and just want o be taken care of on the public dime.

I have had a job since i was 14. I am 34 now. since then I can think of a total stretch of 8 months that I have been unemployed. So these people that seem to magically have the time to rally against the some corporations that for the most part employ a large percentage of America is asinine.

Sure policies need to be changed to keep the Gov. from being bought buy this corporations, But standing around and causing a nuisance to the very people they claim to be fighting for is not it.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Balloon Knot
There are always a few Good Apples in a bunch Pro. But from what I have seen from this movement is it is a bunch of lazy early 20 college kids and older hippie type people that don't want to do anything and just want o be taken care of on the public dime.

Well, fair enough. But, I wonder where you have gotten your impression and information from? I was actually involved in The Movement, locally, for awhile. Now, the nationwide picture might be a different story. And don't think I make excuses for the bad apples that spoil the bunch. But, the majority of those I worked with and have had first-hand dealings with are the kind that are/were legitimately interested in the main ideal behind The Movement. They aren't looking for any handouts other than the chance to have their voice heard. Your mileage may vary, depending on your geographic locale. But, I cannot label an entire Movement with noble ideals as a bunch of lazy kids looking for a free ride.

Quote:
I have had a job since i was 14. I am 34 now.

Me too, except I'm 39 now.

Quote:
since then I can think of a total stretch of 8 months that I have been unemployed. So these people that seem to magically have the time to rally against the some corporations that for the most part employ a large percentage of America is asinine.

How so? Their ability to manage their time is asinine? I work fulltime, have a wife, house, and still had plenty of time every evening and weekends to join the protest. And I WORK for what could be considered "the man". Why don't they, as free citizens, have the right to protest corporate corruption in our political system and daily lives? Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that Corporations and Banks have authority over our laws. Yet, they make them every day. That's not fair. Why aren't people allowed to oppose that? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Quote:
Sure policies need to be changed to keep the Gov. from being bought buy this corporations, But standing around and causing a nuisance to the very people they claim to be fighting for is not it.

I don't see The Movement as being responsible for anyone's comfort or nuisance-level. If "Joe Lunchpail", as has been called, is bothered by them, then he needs to (a) ask why he's bothered, since their very ideal is designed to benefit him, and, (b) decide what he believes is the truth about America, and the so-called "freedom" we flaunt to the world. Is it all propaganda? An illusion of control given to us by the very companies which drive our lives? Or is it our Constitutional Right to protest the ills of society, in hopes that the leaders at large will be forced to make concessions and amend the problems that's destroying everything this country ever stood for in the past?

If some guy gets annoyed because it takes ten more minutes to get to his Starbucks on the way to punch numbers for a corporate machine, I honestly don't give a fuck. That's called "First World Problems". People are starving somewhere. We, as a society, need to put down the cell phones and iPads and actually get some perspective.

Just my opinion, naturally. Don't read anything aggressive or adversarial in that. You cunt.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

David, you linked to a hit-piece published by the Wall Street Journal about a Movement designed specifically to be against said institution. It's like linking to a White Supremacy website to prove how Trayvon Martin's murder wasn't racially motivated. Or using a FOXNews article to "prove" FOX News is "Fair & Balanced". Don't you see the absolute, inherent hypocrisy and conflict of objective interest that it actually is? There's noting "inconvenient" about it, other than it's intentional bias (and your own) is crystal-clear...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
The guy I quoted was a pollster named Doug Schoen, who is a lifetime Democrat and first came to prominence as a political staffer for the Carter administration.

And he didn't just write an opinion piece, he did polling of OWS protesters, the same way he has various demographic groups for almost 40 years.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
David, you linked to a hit-piece published by the Wall Street Journal about a Movement designed specifically to be against said institution. It's like linking to a White Supremacy website to prove how Trayvon Martin's murder wasn't racially motivated. Or using a FOXNews article to "prove" FOX News is "Fair & Balanced". Don't you see the absolute, inherent hypocrisy and conflict of objective interest that it actually is? There's noting "inconvenient" about it, other than it's intentional bias (and your own) is crystal-clear...

Link Copied to Clipboard