Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Quote:
'27 dead' in Connecticut primary school shooting

As many as 27 people have been killed, including 18 children, in a shooting attack at a primary school in the US state of Connecticut, US media say.

State Police spokesman Paul Vance would not confirm the number of deaths.

US media identified the gunman, who died at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, as Ryan Lanza, 24, said to from New Jersey.

If the death toll is confirmed, Newtown would be the second-worst US shooting, after 32 died at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Friday's shooting is the third major gun attack in the US in 2012.

In July an attacker killed 12 people at a premiere of a Batman film in Aurora, Colorado. In August six people died at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.
Children's 'eyes covered'

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy is meeting the families of the victims, a spokesman said, and is expected to visit the school later in the day. He is expected to make a statement at 15:30 EST (20:30 GMT)

US President Barack Obama is also due to deliver remarks on the shooting 15 minutes earlier.

The American flags on Capitol Hill in Washington DC have been lowered to half-mast in the wake of the attack.

Sandy Hook School - described by correspondents as a highly rated school has more than 600 students in classes from Kindergarten to 4th Grade - spanning the ages five to 10.

Police arrived at the school soon after 09:40 local time (14:40 GMT), answering reports that a gunman was in the school's main office and one person had "numerous gunshot wounds".

Scores of officers at the scene carried out a full search of the site. Classes were cancelled as the situation developed.

Schools across the district were immediately on lock-down as a preventive measure, officials said.

According to US reports, the gunman's mother was a teacher found among the dead at the school. The Associated Press said his brother was being held by police.

The attacker was dressed in black and wearing a bullet-proof vest during the attack, and reportedly used a .223-calibre rifle. Other weapons are also said to have been recovered.

With the death toll rising, it emerged that one entire classroom of students may remain unaccounted for, local sources reported.

Three other people were taken to hospital and are reported to be in "very serious condition", Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton told CNN.

One witness speaking to CNN said that shots were heard coming from the hall. There "must have been 100 rounds" fired, she told the channel.

Local media have reported that firefighters instructed children to close their eyes and run past the school's office as they exited the building.

Other sources suggest that some of the shots were fired in a school classroom.

There were early unconfirmed reports of two shooters, but no further details of a second gunman mentioned by police.

With the children now evacuated, aerial images of the school show emergency vehicles still at the scene and scores of cars surrounding the area.

Parents and children were seen weeping and comforting friends and family at the school as the scale of the shooting gradually became clear. Officials say they are trying to unite children with their parents.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
This asshole needs to be chopped up, stuffed in a cardboard box, pack it with cow shit, dump gasoline on it, light it on fire, and after it's done burning have a street sweeper wipe up the ashes and deposit the remains of that son of a bitch in a landfill.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
We all probably knew about the incident before you posted it.

Nice try though.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:

According to US reports, the gunman's mother was a teacher found among the dead at the school. The Associated Press said his brother was being held by police.

Wow. Insanity defense?

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Crazy shit that, sadly, looks pretty routine if you snoop around the crime section a bit.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
This asshole needs to be chopped up, stuffed in a cardboard box, pack it with cow shit, dump gasoline on it, light it on fire, and after it's done burning have a street sweeper wipe up the ashes and deposit the remains of that son of a bitch in a landfill.

Even that would be less that what this guy deserves.

It is deeply frustrating and incredibly sad when shootings like this occur. It's pointless to kill a roomful of kids who never hurt anyone. Not that the adults killed are any more guilty of anything. Every one of these people has an extended family, and their lives are scarred and destroyed as well.

It's an act of unmeasurable selfishness.

The guy apparently killed his mother at another location, before coming to the school where his mother is a teacher and killed apparently every one else he could get in the sight of his guns.

No doubt the media will psychoanalyze this guy for weeks, and tell us every detail of his life leading up to the murders. When in a just world he would be ignored and forgotten.
I've previously described such incidents as "random absurdity", that they are isolated incidents where one lone nut kills a bunch of people, but aside from the people he kills, it is not an act that has an enduring significance on the nation or the world.
But alarmingly, these acts seem to be occurring with greater frequency, and with increasing body counts. I'm not a psychologist or expert, but it seems to me that the media makes celebrities of them, and they choose to go out with a nationally televised bang that gives them 15 minutes of fame, along with their act of rage or revenge or defiance or whatever.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

Nice try though.

Yeah, Doog. Nice try at posting an article about something that just happened in the Current Events board allowing us all here a place converse about the event if we so choose.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
It happened almost eight hours ago, Doc. There is nothing current about it. Quit living in the past. ;\)

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Nice try though.

Yeah, Doog. Nice try at posting an article about something that just happened in the Current Events board allowing us all here a place converse about the event if we so choose.

I'm just sayin'.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:

Wow. Insanity defense?

My first thought was the police picked up the brother just to get the full story of what was going through the shooter's head.

Although many reports at least imply that he's a second suspect.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts

Nice try though.

I'm just sayin'.

Don't you have an Avengers 2 script to go read so you can tell us how much it sucks? Or maybe, don't be a dick. Congrats on you for hearing about it earlier. Want a ribbon?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Apparently the brother was picked up because the shooter ws carrying his brother's I.D. when his body was found.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy
It happened almost eight hours ago, Doc. There is nothing current about it. Quit living in the past. ;\)

My post was over four minutes old, man. Why can't you let things stay in the past?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The media coverage is disgusting.

Sensationalistic garbage.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah it is.

Fair play!
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
All semi-automatic guns need to be banned.

Period.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:

Wow. Insanity defense?

Report: CT Shooting Suspect Had Personality Disorder And Autism

It seems to me that all these mass shootings started about the same time we started closing mental hospitals and "mainstreaming" the mentally ill.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts

Nice try though.

I'm just being a rex.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
Words can not describe how horrifying this is. There is no punishment severe enough for the shooter.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
Semi-automatic guns brainwash their owners to commit massacres.

Oh.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
Don't you have an Avengers 2 script to go read so you can tell us how much it sucks?

Nope.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Words can not describe how horrifying this is. There is no punishment severe enough for the shooter.

Insofar as he's confirmed dead we won't be punishing him at all.

Report: CT Shooting Suspect Had Personality Disorder And Autism

It seems to me that all these mass shootings started about the same time we started closing mental hospitals and "mainstreaming" the mentally ill.

ABC News:
  • A relative told ABC News that Adam was "obviously not well."

Family friends in Newtown also described the young man as troubled and described Nancy as very rigid. "[Adam] was not connected with the other kids," said one friend.

State and federal authorities believe his mother may have once worked at the elementary school where Adam went on his deadly rampage, although she was not a teacher, according to relatives, perhaps a volunteer.

Nancy and her husband Peter, Adam's father, divorced in 2009. When they first filed for divorce in 2008, a judge ordered that they participate in a "parenting education program."

Sounds like a messed up kid and a messed up mom.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm wary of any further reports on the family history after so many developments turned out to be erroneously or completely backwards.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think it's becoming obvious that the shooter had mental health issues. Therefore, And remember this is coming from a life member of the NRA, the mother should have not been putting him in a position where he could have access to weapons.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
I'm not even sure that it is just the mental health issues at this point. While they certainly can--and probably do--play a role in this, the psychotropics these guys are on can have side effects just as bad--if not worse--than the mental illnesses. Just something else to put into the pattern file.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
It's a truly horrible thing that happened and the fact that it looks like this douche took his own life,doesn't give any answers to grieving parents and families is just as bad. There can be no explanation as to "Why?" only speculation and probabilities but no definitive answers.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: allan1
It's a truly horrible thing that happened and the fact that it looks like this douche took his own life,doesn't give any answers to grieving parents and families is just as bad. There can be no explanation as to "Why?" only speculation and probabilities but no definitive answers.

Why? Because he was nuts.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah there isn't anything that's going to make sense for the killer to do what he did other than he was really crazy. Maybe it's time to go back to the state hospital system we used to have?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Yeah there isn't anything that's going to make sense for the killer to do what he did other than he was really crazy. Maybe it's time to go back to the state hospital system we used to have?

I think it is. Yes.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I noticed your post earlier. Is there really a chance something like that could be brought back though?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I noticed your post earlier. Is there really a chance something like that could be brought back though?

I don't know. Some of it would depend on the laws of each state. I haven't researched the issue but I think most of the movement to close mental hospitals, etc., were state, not federal initiatives.

As an aside, it should probably be noted it is alleged that our friends at the ACLU recently killed a Connecticut forcible institutionalization law that might have prevented these killings.

Then there's this:

Indiana man with 47 guns arrested after school threat: A northern Indiana man who allegedly threatened to "kill as many people as he could" at an elementary school near his home was arrested by officers who later found 47 guns and ammunition hidden throughout his home.

I wonder if the media creates some of this by exploiting these tragedies for ratings and/or a particular agenda. I suspect that the incessant coverage creates copycats.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I keep searching for pictures of Adam Lanza and all I get is a picture of him smiling as a young boy. Is he really that young or is this another case of the media choosing specific pictures just to make the person look sympathetic?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I wonder if the media creates some of this by exploiting these tragedies for ratings and/or a particular agenda. I suspect that the incessant coverage creates copycats.

Of course. Look at the "fame" or infamy the Colorado theater asshole got.

Constant coverage, putting the killer's face all over the news.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I keep searching for pictures of Adam Lanza and all I get is a picture of him smiling as a young boy. Is he really that young or is this another case of the media choosing specific pictures just to make the person look sympathetic?

I think it's more a question of them not having a picture they have rights to of him when he was older

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The media coverage has been awful but blaming them? I would blame our whacky lack of gun control laws that allows weapons of mass destruction being easier to be had than reanting a car.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Laws allow for the sale of nuclear weapons?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The media coverage has been awful but blaming them?.

The only person who deserves blame is the shooter. I'm only questioning whether people in the media should reonsider how they cover things and whether that makes things worse not better.

The media coverage has been awful but blaming them? I would blame our whacky lack of gun control laws that allows weapons of mass destruction being easier to be had than reanting a car.

Don't be hyperbolic. I live in NY. I can rent a car right now. I'm an officer of the court and I can't own a pistol without a difficult to get permit

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think this guy's Mom is more to blame than the guns.

Either she didn't safeguard her firearms from a member of her household with a history of mental illness, or (and this is just a wild speculation on my part) she bought her mentally ill son guns in her name.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The media has to take it's part of the blame too, they're giving these scumbags notoriety.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard