Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: klinton
The story itself was a wash though. It was all build up, with no pay off. The worst thing that happened was Jason getting burned, but even he was back to being pretty in a couple issues.

spoilers much!

the coolness of the arc is in the title of the arc, and how the joker really lead the show the whole way there.

Originally Posted By: klinton
...and everything was completely overshadowed by Damien's departure in Incorporated a month later. We're still feeling the rammifications from that.

yar, that was sad. and it actually would have fit nicely were it to happen here, but that was morrison's baby (sorta literally) so he gets the power. hopefully, morrison (or someone) will bring him back soon enough, as has possibly already been teased.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Originally Posted By: Rob
the skin has been rotting. through out the "death" story arc (which is about 6 issues i think?) it gets grosser and grosser. again, capullo does some great shit here in the design. really makes the joker look creepy.

But why is that awesome?

because it looks neato. and freakish. and gross. and scary. it's an artistic twist that i like.

the joker can sometimes get a little too silly in appearance, depending upon the artist. like... why is his nose always so big, for example. did the joker toxin also create an extra pointy chin? i get that he's a clown ... or... a playing card mascot, or whatever. but i like seeing varied takes on the visuals that tend toward the creepy or scary or crazy or whatever, and this is one of them.

i think ledger's look in dark knight (the slice up mouth with the grotesque rotting paint) was also neato. it was extra odd, extra gross, and extra scary -- much more so than the typical dab o'white paint (even just to cover up ceasar's mustache)

joker's severed face in the batman arc is disgusting. it's continually rotting to further degrees, even attracting flies. it's terrifying, in an 80s horror film villain sorta way, that there's a baddy chasing you with this type of disfigurement that he either doesn't himself notice or he's fine with it. then, add in the "funny" appeal, where the joker is basically tying this to his face with rubber bands, and even occasionally misaligning his real face with the severed skin (an eye through a nostril, for example).

overall, its just a visually nice and new (all be it temporary) spin of "FUCK he's crazy"

lookit this creepy mother fucker!

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
yeah! that vest is grotesque!

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
because it looks neato. and freakish. and gross. and scary. it's an artistic twist that i like.

So all villains should be that way in your mind?

Quote:
overall, its just a visually nice and new (all be it temporary) spin of "FUCK he's crazy"

This doesn't strike me as being necessary to make the point that he's insane and obsessive.

Some villains are visually grotesque and disgusting whereas some aren't. It seems proper for some, but not for others, and I really can't get behind the idea that the Joker is made more awesome by virtue of being visually scary and/or nauseating.

Would I be against a storyline that has him getting his face disfigured? Nah. But I wouldn't try to turn that into a character defining trait. Joker's not Two-Face, Scarface, Clayface, or any other face. He's just Joker.

Yeah, I wouldn't like this Snyder character's stuff it looks like.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
He's Joker-Face!

klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
I just finished the new issue of 'Indestructible Hulk'; and it was amazing.

I'm no Hulk fan, by any stretch. I think this is the longest stretch of any Hulk series I've bothered to buy. Waid has just been knocking it out with every issue though.

This new arc sees Hulk (not Banner, but Hulk) setting out to repair the ruptures in the time stream caused in the Age of Ultron event. Hillarity ensues, and we're left with a cliff hanger for next issue: Hulk vs Devil Dinosaur! :D

I love it!

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OMG! Lemire's 'Trillium' for Vertigo! Read it. Seriously, you will love yourself for picking this up.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

So all villains should be that way in your mind?

no.

This doesn't strike me as being necessary to make the point that he's insane and obsessive.

it isn't.

giant picture
old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
New Xmen

It's good. I don't usually like Xmen books.

How you doin'?
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Joey only likes men.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
He thinks X men are too tame, he prefers XXX ones.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Waid's Hulk, Daredevil, Hawkeye and Journey into Mystery are in my "to check at some point in my life" list. I'll add Trillium.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I also read and liked the first 15 or so issues of Snyder's Batman, Batman & Robin and Batgirl (up to the Court of Owls thing). Then I got left back and probably won't pick them up again until I have a ten hour car ride or something.

klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Waid's Hulk, Daredevil, Hawkeye and Journey into Mystery are in my "to check at some point in my life" list. I'll add Trillium.

The current run on JiM is really good. I have no love for Thor or anything Asgardian (ass-gaurdians, though, I love a great deal), but Lady Sif's little stories have been brilliant to read.

It's kinda sad that this one got lost in the shuffle with all of the shiny 'Marvel NOW' launches.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I also read and liked the first 15 or so issues of Snyder's Batman, Batman & Robin and Batgirl (up to the Court of Owls thing). Then I got left back and probably won't pick them up again until I have a ten hour car ride or something.

its almost better in a lot of ways -- like bulk watching all these shows on netflix that you only heard others say were good. waiting a week for a show, or a month for a book, versus power binging through a story arc in a sitting or two... as long as you can avoid the spoilers (ROBIN IS ACTUALLY BATMAN'S SON) then it's all good.

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I just finished reading up to issue 17 of Injustice: Gods Among Us. The plot is just a rethread of Kingdom Come and Twilight of the Gods, but still has enough difference to merit a read-through.

One thing it has going for it is that it's a lot less melodramatic and philosophical than Kingdom Come. It doesn't take itself too seriously. It also features Aquaman proving how dangerous he and his Atlantean army can be. At least, for a while. Superman, Shazam, Wonder woman and Hal quickly shut him up by lifting Atlantis and dropping it in the middle of a desert.

It's also the first depiction of Harlequin that I liked. She always struck me as a fanservice character that has become the equivalent of a geek hashtag, but Injustice actually gave her some cool scenes including going all suicidal and trying to fight an angry/murder-death-killing Superman when she found out that the Joker was dead.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
The Royal Atlantean Army: fighting on seahorses and wielding tridents since 800BC. One supertrawler with driftnets and every last regiment is fruit de mer.

Question about Suicide Squad: is Basilisk a re-hashed Kobra?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
snyder batman, however, i've really enjoyed. death of the family, especially the court of owls... he and capullo are doing some great stuff. definitely my favorite regular-run in years, at like 25 issues in (and i think they mighta signed on through 50, which is great, cuz i love when teams stick together).

Inverse question for Klinton: why did you not like it? I haven't read it at all, but I'm hearing interesting things about what Snyder is doing, so I'm curious?

well, the reasons i like snyder and capullo's batman run are possibly the reasons you won't. i believe the only bat-stuff we have in common is the occasional portrayal where batman is a lil nutty (and where he's ok with that) and that's not here.

snyder's batman is similar to morrison's in that he's a badass. he's a brick. he'll dive head first into anything, save a kid while he's on fire, punch a face with a face, etc. even past the point where he's way over matched, he'll keep on keeping on. after bane broke his back, snyder's batman would slap bane in the shins.

there's a great mix of detective work. some scifi-level gear. some fun ultra-spy-bond kinda scenes. some "he can't do that ... wait, he's batman!" type moments.

there's also an amazing portrayal of everyone else. from alfred to gordon to the entire batfamily. noting bruce as a separate persona, snyder's bruce wayne is just as much a badass as his batman. with the extended robin group, i grew to quite like the incredible complexity of a world that has dick grayson, tim, jason, and damian in a single room. they're all so different and all so important to bruce in their own regard, and though its very much a solo batman book, snyder got to each in different ways. and, my other favorite attribute whenever there's an element of "family" to the bat world, they're all so clearly second rank - there's only one batman.

that's the summation of character and such. storywise, there have been a few main arcs so far: death of the family, court of owls, the start of year zero and a bit more. "death" is the joker story (the tie-ins are great compliments, but unnecessary) which was not just a great tale, but one of those extra great stories that left a lil bit of uneasiness post-mortum, killing joke style. court of owls might have been my favorite arc in a decade or more of comics. its this amazing tie-in to bruce and gotham and such a cool villain, with all this amazing built-in history that could be expanded upon for years.

i don't want to discuss either arc in too much detail cuz there honestly is a great deal of "oh shit!" moments to each. both of those two big arcs are like "stand-alone book" good, where its a bit surprising they're part of a regular series. i strongly recommend giving them a shot, especially if you can find a cheaper TPB or something.

From the image you posted, Rob, the art is somewhat reminiscent of the Kelley Jones run of BATMAN back in 1995 to 1998 or so, which is my favorite run of the last 25 years. The new series as you describe it has some really wild story twists.

I'll check it out.

My favorite (and probably everyone's) is the BATMAN 251 story by Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams, where the Joker is a homicidal serial killer, and portrayed that way in a realistic and straightforward way.

I especially like the page where Batman comes into a room where the Joker has just killed a guy, and in the darkness you can just make out Joker's face standing behind him, before Batman realizes Joker's still there, a moment too late, and gets clubbed unconscious. That's the single creepiest version of the Joker I've seen.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I just read the 8-issue Didio-Giffen OMAC series in a trade.

There were a few fun moments, and Giffen's art is very consistent with the definitive Kirby material. But Didio in the writing department dropped the ball.

I liked the Spawn of Frankenstein's part in the story, and on one level it was a fun parade of monsters. But it was just a steady stream of walk-on characters, with no development or depth.
Most annoying for me was Tuftan in the last story, where by all appearances we are teased to think Tuftan and Ceasar are the characters from KAMANDI, seen here in an earlier adventure, but are just similar characters who happen to have the same names. And it ultimately goes nowhere.

The Brother Eye narration mixing "Eye/I" is really annoying too. Giffen did his part to make it a good series, too bad Didio couldn't hold up his end of the deal.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Mostly a Lois Lane story. Don't waste your 4.99 on this.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I would have bought a Lois Lane story if it said ANAL instead of ANNUAL.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
That would be an effective use of Lois Lane.

And I do mean USE !

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
IN THE ASS.

klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

Mostly a Lois Lane story. Don't waste your 4.99 on this.

But it was a good Lois Lane story! And, a random chapter of the amazing 'World of Krypton' origin story to boot (oddly, jumping from Action to Superman for this one chapter)!

I'm consistently entertained by Superman in the past couple of years. Lobdel is an akward fit to the mythos, but it's better than the complete shit we were getting prior to Flashpoint.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Lobdel is a good writer. I just didn't care for this issue.

Quote:
it's better than the complete shit we were getting prior to Flashpoint.

klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I just finished reading up to issue 17 of Injustice: Gods Among Us. The plot is just a rethread of Kingdom Come and Twilight of the Gods, but still has enough difference to merit a read-through.

One thing it has going for it is that it's a lot less melodramatic and philosophical than Kingdom Come. It doesn't take itself too seriously. It also features Aquaman proving how dangerous he and his Atlantean army can be. At least, for a while. Superman, Shazam, Wonder woman and Hal quickly shut him up by lifting Atlantis and dropping it in the middle of a desert.

It's also the first depiction of Harlequin that I liked. She always struck me as a fanservice character that has become the equivalent of a geek hashtag, but Injustice actually gave her some cool scenes including going all suicidal and trying to fight an angry/murder-death-killing Superman when she found out that the Joker was dead.

Hmm. Does it require playing the game to enjoy? I have no interest in the MK mechanics, anad have avoided the game. I'm loving the little figures DC is putting out though, in thier game inspired uniforms. \:p

If it's decent, and independent of the game, I'll give it a look. :D

Also: you all need to read Straczynski's 'Sidekick' for Image! Fucking amazing first issue on this one.

And, are any of you reading 'Sex'? I finally gave up after ths last issue. It started out as a promising Batman 'what if' story, and has declined into full retarted inside of five issues. I'm done.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
It doesn't require playing the game. I think it's the other way around actually - the comic helps flesh out the game a bit, but the game doesn't do anything for the comic. You can completely skip the game.

klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
It doesn't require playing the game. I think it's the other way around actually - the comic helps flesh out the game a bit, but the game doesn't do anything for the comic. You can completely skip the game.

Nice. I'll check it out then. The summary you gave sounds full interesting.

Is the print edition really far behind? I full hate reading digital, so I'll be snapping up the print copies.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I have been reading Injustice: Gods Among Us on Comixology fro 99 cents an issue. So far it's a lot of big pictures with bad artwork. About one event per issue. It's kinda crap.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
The print version is collected as a trade, there's two volumes out right now so it flows better, but yes, it's way behind.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard