Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
So, I bought two tpbs last Friday:

a. Bendis' Uncanny X-men.
b. Fearless Defenders.

I bought X-men on the basis of Bendis' writing, which I really like. And indeed it is really good. I don't understand a lot of the back story (Phoenix seems to have returned again, Tony Stark trapped Phoenix in the bodies of some of the X-men, which fouled up their powers. So Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto and Magik all have problems using and controlling their powers. This somehow lead to Xavier's death at the hands of Phoenixed Cyclops, and a consequential schism within the X-men with two schools. Oh, and Cyclops and Emma Frost have split up but it is clear that she still loves him and is having trouble with it) but I caught up quickly.

Anyway, Cyclops is becoming a media celebrity mutant poster boy, almost like some sort of Nelson Mandela for mutants. You can sense that Bendis is engineering a shift in attitude about mutant hysteria - now it seems that there are some people who think this isn't ok (it reminded me of changing attitutdes towards gays).

There is a tense and well-written confrontation with the Avengers, who the X-men drop with one shot. Cyclops rubs the Avengers' nose in it in a speech which becomes a YouTube video. The Avengers "don't want to talk about it" to SHIELD - there was a lot of big talk especially from Hawkeye and Cap, who felt confident backed by the Hulk and Iron Man, and suddenly the Avengers find themselves snap frozen and harmlessly taken out by a teenager. This mutant is Australian, and there is a flashback to her at school where she gives a speech about idolising Captain America. Part of the charm of this is that the new mutants are overwhelmed to see Cap and the Hulk - stunned by their celebrity. Then - pop! - the underdogs win in one move. Awesome.

And then Magik, certainly my favourite Marvel character and who has been rendered powerful and dangerous in this new iteration, has some trouble with Dormannu in Limbo. She sends Dormannu packing - essentially, one of the big Marvel villains is shut down by a girl in hotpants. Just great. Here is a gratuitous image of sexed-up Magi, just because it makes me feel grubby:

So. Now we have Fearless Defenders. I confess I bought this because I like Valkyrie, one of Thor's sidekicks. My mistake - don't buy a book for the characters, buy them for the writers! Within the book, they have included the front covers to each individual issue. Some of these covers are clever and fun. Here's one now:

That's the only good thing I have to say about this book. In some very stilted dialogue, Misty Knight and Valkyrie team up. Early on, Valkyrie snogs a chick they save - hello 15 year old boys, we have a lipstick lesbian on board to keep you buying the title. I'm not sure how lesbianism became a sales tool for selling comics, but it is as subtle as a freight train and, in this instance, totally unnecessary.

Then, they introduce Danielle Moonstar, a former New Mutant, and a character called Warrior Woman, a white trash version of Wonder Woman (Hippolyta, daughter of Ares). There is some banter between Warrior Waoman, who considers herself an Olympian, and Valkyrie, the Asgardian, as to which form of godliness is best. That was an annoying substitute for genuine friction driven by good characterisation.

When some zombie valkyries get into a fight with the team, Misty Knight calls in help. Does she get the Fantastic Four? The Avengers? The X-men? No. She somehow has the private numbers for every notable female character in the Marvel Universe, who arrive en masse. Why does Storm come to a fight sans the rest of the X-men? Because the writers thought it would be a good idea to exclusively have chicks in the book! The Chewbacca Defence makes more sense than this title.

What this demonstrates to me is that the quality of Marvel comics is very haphazard. It smells of a weak senior editorial team. OR perhaps Fearless Defenders was just pegged as an unimportant T&A title by Marvel management and so they just don't care about quality.

Anyway, go buy Bendis' X-men, its good.

Last edited by First Amongst Daves; 2013-10-22 2:35 AM.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
I think the lesbos sharing a body now or something.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The writer must have seen it working in Deadpool and decided to copy the plot device. Again - where are the senior editors? Don't they keep track of this sort of thing?

Pimping my site, again.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
they are trying to appeal to a very vocal and fast-growing demographic - female geeks ("oh, look - there's only women in our comic! No guys in here at all. And they are all empowered women because they, like, uh-I dunno-have sex with each other and kick ass?")

Kind of like when a bunch of male videogame developers tried to create an empowered woman and ended up creating Bayonetta.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I don't think so. Birds of Prey used the "this is a girl comic written by a girl but with cheesecake art for boys" with some success. This is more "I'm going to draw to chicks snogging so you get a boner and buy it again next month". (the worst example of this I've seen was I think called... "Jade Dragons"? An Image title which should have been called "Acrobatic Boobies with Swords".)

Pimping my site, again.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
The writer must have seen it working in Deadpool and decided to copy the plot device. Again - where are the senior editors? Don't they keep track of this sort of thing?

DC and Marvel editors haven't really edited for years. At this point they're basically talent scouts who do little more then beg big names to take over the books and do what they can to try and make sure that the endless crossovers sync up. And they're not even that good at it

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
is Cheesecake the female equivalent of Beefcake?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Sure, why not.

Pimping my site, again.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Ahhhhhh, editorial. How I've missed you....
Dave you are pretty much spot on with most of the marvel books I still buy...
I thought the new avengers books started strong and I thought they were leading somewhere, and then I realized the entirety of 2 books was really a set up for the next crossover event and only played successfully into that story and the book itself was useless without the crossover.......You can't even sell TPBs like that.
All new x-men
uncanny x-men
are both good titles....
Wood's X-Men is decent as well.... (another female book-but not as cheesey cakey)...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
And now, Fearless Defenders is being cancelled at issue 12:

http://www.newsarama.com/19431-cullen-bunn-the-final-chapter-of-fearless-defenders.html

The writer says, "I know that many readers were expecting something very different when they picked up the first issue of the series. Maybe I should have been even more vocal that this book was an unapologetic superhero adventure story, that the yarns we presented would be off-beat and strange and… oddball. Maybe such a leveling statement would have reduced the attrition on the series. I dunno. I know that people who stuck with the book really enjoyed it (even when they hated me for being mean to Annabelle). I heard from a lot of people that said they were planning on returning to the book because they “didn’t get it” at first, but I think the damage (in terms of sales) had already been done."

The damage was done by a bad plot and shitty writing, but masking tape it up however you like.

Pimping my site, again.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
This series really jumped it when Val and Anabelle merged. It's easily the stupidest development in Val's entire published life.

I'll hang on for these last few issues, but I'm only doing it for those Brooks covers and Misty's unrivaled ferocity!

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!

Link Copied to Clipboard