giant picture
Rob #1216390 2015-01-08 2:50 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
terminator 2 is easily in my top 5 movies of all time. and, for a 20+ year old flick, it's held up remarkably well.

T3 was... also a movie. Terminator salvation had some neato things in it. and some garbagey things in it.

Genisys kinda ties all of them together. And skips what it wants to. It's like a new author came along, retconned what he wanted to, and then shat the rest out in a different direction.

The result? I loved the trailer! Yes, sure, there's mind numbingly silly action movie type stuff in it. Like, seriously, why do the robots keep falling for the "we'll just send our guy back one day earlier" theory? BUT, I'll ignore all that and still enjoy the fuck outta this one. It's lots of T1 and T2 nostalgia, lots of "time traveling can go really wrong" stuff (ala Biff taking over the world!!), and so, so much great arnieisms.

giant picture
Rob #1216394 2015-01-08 6:27 AM
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob
terminator 2 is easily in my top 5 movies of all time. and, for a 20+ year old flick, it's held up remarkably well.

T3 was... also a movie. Terminator salvation had some neato things in it. and some garbagey things in it.

Genisys kinda ties all of them together. And skips what it wants to. It's like a new author came along, retconned what he wanted to, and then shat the rest out in a different direction.

The result? I loved the trailer! Yes, sure, there's mind numbingly silly action movie type stuff in it. Like, seriously, why do the robots keep falling for the "we'll just send our guy back one day earlier" theory? BUT, I'll ignore all that and still enjoy the fuck outta this one. It's lots of T1 and T2 nostalgia, lots of "time traveling can go really wrong" stuff (ala Biff taking over the world!!), and so, so much great arnieisms.

You're putting me in a peculiar position here. I liked T3 and its whole "judgement day is inevitable" narrative and the "even a machine needs purpose" thing (also I had a crush on Danes). Moreso than I liked the second film's "learning machine" angle.

Salvation was different. But it was okay.

This preview makes me think of the Sarah Conner Chronicles--which is bad. She looks like a fucking teenager. If Reese went back to the same time as before, why is she so young?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I wonder how they're going to explain his aging...

Then again, I suppose synthetic flesh still has to break down too.

Pariah #1216411 2015-01-08 10:35 PM
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I really liked Salvation, a lot.

I thought T3 was... ok, my ambivalence mostly because of the reasons you liked it, Pariah. The element of uncertainty - there is no fate but what you make - was removed by predestination. It erased the philosophy behind the first two movies (yes, there was one, amidst the explosions and blood) which was that you can determine your own future.

This looks like fun, mostly because they have a young Arnold in the mix. Old footage remastered I assume.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I wonder how they're going to explain his aging...

Then again, I suppose synthetic flesh still has to break down too.

Metal skeleton wrapped in a chewy, organic shell. The outside is living flesh, hence the blood when he popped out his eye in the first one; therefore it will age. Apparently, James Cameron himself gave the guys making this one that idea.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yummy.

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
I thought T3 was... ok, my ambivalence mostly because of the reasons you liked it, Pariah. The element of uncertainty - there is no fate but what you make - was removed by predestination. It erased the philosophy behind the first two movies (yes, there was one, amidst the explosions and blood) which was that you can determine your own future.

I never understood that. I know that Cameron pushed that as the philosophy, but his stories for both films contradicts it. John Conner is born because he sends Kyle Reese to the past to fuck his mom. If that doesn't happen, then he isn't born. Skynet sends a Terminator back to kill John Conner, but it is destroyed and used to create the technology that is Skynet. This, I guess, makes Skynet its own grandpa.

The paradox is unbreakable. If they stop Judgement Day, then John Conner will not send his dad back in time to fuck his mom. He can't. Not even if he finds the non-Judgement Day timeline Kyle Reese because the technology they used was created by Skynet, which they supposedly destroyed in T2. Cameron was talking out of his ass just like the time he denied that he got major story elements from Harlan Ellison even after already admitting that he had.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah. Cameron kinda doomed himself there.

It's all well and good to say that you make your own fate--because you do. But since that fate was already made, it couldn't really be changed.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Game of Thrones needs to bring in Linda Hamilton for at least a cameo.

That way they can have all three Sara Conners in the series.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

I never understood that. I know that Cameron pushed that as the philosophy, but his stories for both films contradicts it. John Conner is born because he sends Kyle Reese to the past to fuck his mom. If that doesn't happen, then he isn't born. Skynet sends a Terminator back to kill John Conner, but it is destroyed and used to create the technology that is Skynet. This, I guess, makes Skynet its own grandpa.

The paradox is unbreakable. If they stop Judgement Day, then John Conner will not send his dad back in time to fuck his mom. He can't. Not even if he finds the non-Judgement Day timeline Kyle Reese because the technology they used was created by Skynet, which they supposedly destroyed in T2. Cameron was talking out of his ass just like the time he denied that he got major story elements from Harlan Ellison even after already admitting that he had.

Erm. Shit. Never thought of that before.

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yeah, that's what ruined T3 for me. No, you can't postpone Judgement Day because, according to the rules of your own universe, everything is already determined by the time travel paradox. All these robots you keep sending into the past to change it are actually creating the timeline from which you originally sent them. They're maintaining the status quo of the future.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
This preview makes me think of the Sarah Conner Chronicles--which is bad. She looks like a fucking teenager. If Reese went back to the same time as before, why is she so young?

The actress is about the same age as Linda Hamilton was for the first film. So it's just down to looks and not an age difference.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, that's what ruined T3 for me. No, you can't postpone Judgement Day because, according to the rules of your own universe, everything is already determined by the time travel paradox. All these robots you keep sending into the past to change it are actually creating the timeline from which you originally sent them. They're maintaining the status quo of the future.

Hang on. No, Sarah Connor thinks she can prevent the future and essentially does at the end of T2 when the guy from Cyberdyne gets killed and the bits of the Terminator get destroyed. So she undoes the inevitability.

It's been a while since I have seen the movie...

Thought the actress was pretty similar to Linda Hamilton, personally. Just younger.

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Hang on. No, Sarah Connor thinks she can prevent the future and essentially does at the end of T2 when the guy from Cyberdyne gets killed and the bits of the Terminator get destroyed. So she undoes the inevitability.

She believes that she changed the future; but according to the rules of the paradox she could not have. If she had, her son would cease to exist. It's the same reasoning that Skynet believes it can change the past and get rid of its biggest nemesis when, in reality, it created him by building the technology that allows his father to go back in time and fuck his mom and cause her to raise him with the tools he'll need to fight his robotic overlords.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't think the rules of paradox speak against postponement as long as all the players are the same.

Consider for a moment that, without time travel, the events that played out in the second and third films had no bearing on whether or not judgement day occurred. That is to say, the arrival of the terminators didn't really affect anything that probably wouldn't have happened in the first place without their participation--aside from the T800 postponing Skynet and the lady terminator later speeding up its launch.

It stands to reason that, had they never shown up, Connor still would have met Brewster, Skynet would launch later on and they'd still survive to head the revolution.

I think Scorpius got it right: time is more elastic than it is brittle--at least from a Hollywood standpoint.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
If I could save time in a bottle. Am I right guys? Am I right?

Do you put deodorant on your balls?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, yeah.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

She believes that she changed the future; but according to the rules of the paradox she could not have. If she had, her son would cease to exist. It's the same reasoning that Skynet believes it can change the past and get rid of its biggest nemesis when, in reality, it created him by building the technology that allows his father to go back in time and fuck his mom and cause her to raise him with the tools he'll need to fight his robotic overlords.

That would have been a remarkably poignant ending. John Connor goes "pop!" and no one even remembers him.

Pimping my site, again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
For the first time in forever, I'm on a sort-of vacation. I used the opportunity to watch this......film....first.

What an absolute steaming pile of shit.

That was not Kyle Reese. Kyle Reese is a lanky, stoic badass. Not a musclebound, Whedonian quipster.

I cannot even imagine a female-lead more pretentious than Daenerys Targaryen. Seriously, I wanted to Falcon Punch her throughout the entire film.

And somehow, they managed to turn the relationship spawned by the culturally prevalent Connor-Reese archetype--and the paradoxical prophecy which it entails--into a misogynist micro-aggression (see also: "you have no right to turn me into a baby-factory!"). I have to wonder if that's why they turned John Connor into the de-facto villain: his very existence represents some kind of oppressive anti-choice for women everywhere--or so Daenerys claims.

The guy who played John Connor was terribly cast. I couldn't get over how ridiculous his chin looked.

And I'm not even gonna bother touching down on all the time-travel plot holes. They might as well have lifted scenes straight from Time Chasers.

All of this shit just to undo Terminator 3's reinforcement of an established timeline for the sake of appeasing whining piss-babies like Dave.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Who knew that you could make a Terminator movie worse than Salvation.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
.......I......Likedterminatorsalvation.

Pariah #1219640 2015-11-26 12:45 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I just get hung up on why does the heart power the robot?

Why will the robot die without it?

No battery back up? Really?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think the heart was required to help circulate blood through the brain, which was still dependent on organic material to function--In which case, I assume he still had a liver as well. I have to believe that the remaining organs still left in his body were simply the aspects of his humanity that they didn't have the facility to replace at the time. And Skynet, as well, probably just didn't have the technology to duplicate a fully developed human brain with all of its memories intact.

The only real problem I'm left with is how much those organs have aged prior to his revival. You have to wonder how long they'd stay potent.....unless they perfected cryogenics or...something.

Pariah #1219645 2015-11-26 11:42 PM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
it's because without a heart, there will be NO LOVE.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But what is LOVE without LUST?

Pariah #1219649 2015-11-27 11:50 PM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Marriage.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I loved the first Terminator movie.
Terminator 2 was arguably even better, with really great special effects and some nice twists.

Hated Rise of the Machines.
Mostly hated Terminator: Salvation.

And despite that I thought Terminator: Genisys had some corny lines and none of the people in the lead roles looked appropriate in the roles they were cast in... I kind of liked it. Although it does seem apocryphal or like a reboot, because every character but Schwarzennegger is re-cast with a new actor.

Like the 1970's Planet of the Apes francchise, I think they've squeezed every last possible drop of box office out of the series at this point.

Maybe someone could just go back to source material and adapt Ellison's Soldier or I have No Mouth, I must Scream at this point, and let the Terminator series rest in peace.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I saw a preview for this last night and couldn't believe they managed to milk another film out of an already dead franchise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(franchise)#Terminator:_Dark_Fate_(2019)

Due out Nov 1st.

Regardless of popularity of the film series (or lack thereof), I thought the ownership of the franchise was split up over a group of people so divergent that another film couldn't be made no matter what. Clearly they somehow still made it happen.

Link Copied to Clipboard