Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Okay, I know Captain Atom is quantum powered and everytime he absorbs too much energy it causes him to "quantum leap" through time and space, so my question to everybody out there is...

Where do you think Loeb sent Captain Atom?

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Why back... to the future!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Ok, think about this:

Captain Atom is in one spot when he gets bumped through time. He moves through time, you see, not through space when he absorbs too much energy.

As time passes, the Earth rotates. It also moves around the sun. The sun, for its part, moves up and down like a ride on a merry-go-round in the Milky Way, and the Milky Way is rocketing away from the centre of the universe as a result of the big bang.

So, the point at which Captain Atom disappeared is very unlikly to still be in the Earth's atmosphere. In fact its likely to be in deep space somewhere outside the galaxy, depending upon how much time as passed.

So when Captain Atom pops up even an hour later, let alone a few months or 20 years, he's going to be nowhere near the location where he was last, because that location would have moved through space. Even jut a few minutes might mean he should pop up somewhere near Neptune.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Captain Atom appeared right next to me!

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Cap ended up in the future where he bacame an evil ruler calling himself Monarch. Here we go again.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Ok, think about this:

Captain Atom is in one spot when he gets bumped through time. He moves through time, you see, not through space when he absorbs too much energy.

As time passes, the Earth rotates. It also moves around the sun. The sun, for its part, moves up and down like a ride on a merry-go-round in the Milky Way, and the Milky Way is rocketing away from the centre of the universe as a result of the big bang.

So, the point at which Captain Atom disappeared is very unlikly to still be in the Earth's atmosphere. In fact its likely to be in deep space somewhere outside the galaxy, depending upon how much time as passed.

So when Captain Atom pops up even an hour later, let alone a few months or 20 years, he's going to be nowhere near the location where he was last, because that location would have moved through space. Even jut a few minutes might mean he should pop up somewhere near Neptune.

This is excellent imperical thinking. Bravo! :)

I couldn't agree more. According to the laws of the universe (as we understand them), Dave is correct.

But, knowing Loeb.....I mean, this is the guy that decided, all of a sudden, that Batman can take down Lady Shiva in two panels. Loeb takes a single writing gimmick (in the case of this series, an ongoing, very UNinsightful, inner monologue between Supes and Bats, differentiated by colored text boxes) and runs it completely into the ground. OWAW? The constant use of historic speeches.

So, does anyone really think he took the time to consider any science behind Atom? He'll probably have him pop-up in Luthor's bathroom, or something. Although, that might even be a bit too entertaining for Loeb to pull off....

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Ok, think about this:

Obviously the writers forgot about that when they had him pop up in our time after he stopped the Cuban Missle Crisis. He should have popped up on Oa! [biiiig grin] Actually I guess I should have said absorbing too much energy causes Captain Atom to "quantum leap" through time and space. Sorry my bad. [sad]

Anyway, this is Captain Atom we're talking about here. Charlton's #1 guy and one of the DCU's more interesting and powerful characters. Loeb's got me totally interested in what Captain Atom's role in all this truly is.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
quote:
Ok, think about this:

This is excellent imperical thinking. Bravo! :)

I couldn't agree more. According to the laws of the universe (as we understand them), Dave is correct.

But, knowing Loeb.....I mean, this is the guy that decided, all of a sudden, that Batman can take down Lady Shiva in two panels. Loeb takes a single writing gimmick (in the case of this series, an ongoing, very UNinsightful, inner monologue between Supes and Bats, differentiated by colored text boxes) and runs it completely into the ground. OWAW? The constant use of historic speeches.

So, does anyone really think he took the time to consider any science behind Atom? He'll probably have him pop-up in Luthor's bathroom, or something. Although, that might even be a bit too entertaining for Loeb to pull off....

Ah Shiva.. [no no no] I also think he has a hard-on for Batman. [um....  uh huh! ...  ]

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
A major hard-on... [no no no]

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
quote:
Ok, think about this:

He "leaped" twenty years in Caption Atom (second series) #1 and popped back in the exact same place.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by I'm Not Mister Mxypltk:
quote:
Ok, think about this:

He "leaped" twenty years in Caption Atom (second series) #1 and popped back in the exact same place.
And so Captain Atom finds himself leaping from title to title. Striving to put right what characterization put wrong. Hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Sorry again for not saying "Captain Atom quantum leaps through time and space" [sad]

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by r3x29yz4a:
quote:
quote:
Ok, think about this:

And so Captain Atom finds himself leaping from title to title. Striving to put right what characterization put wrong. Hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.
:lol: :lol:

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Has anyone here thought that maybe Captain Atom, in addition to jumping through space, also jumps throught time?! That'd be an interesting new concept for the character.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Donny,please.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Has anyone here thought that maybe Captain Atom, in addition to jumping through space, also jumps throught time?! That'd be an interesting new concept for the character.

Captain Atom "quantum leaps" through both time and space. IIRC, Captain Atom was created as part of the Atom Project in the very early 60's and was deployed during the Cuban Missile Crisis. When he absorbed all that energy it caused him to implode and Captain Atom "leaped" 20 years, or more by ret-con, into the future.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Hold on, but what if he also jumped through space?!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
And time?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
THAT'd be cool!!!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
oooooo.

I'd read a title about a man who could leap through time.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Are you saying that Ben and Glory are the same person?!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Moris Day reference.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
I gather, that when Captain Atom "quantum leaps" through both time and space that the emmense force catapults him into multiple revolutions around the world always being held in place by the Earth's magnetic field, kinda like a sling-shot effect.

So if he absorbed a lot of energy in deep space, with no magnetic field, he would be catapulted halfway across the galaxy. [cool]

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
What about space? Can he leap through space?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:

Ben is Glory? But how do they know each other? What's their connection?

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by britneyspearsatemyshorts:

Yes, if he absorbed a lot of energy in deep space, with no magnetic field, he would be catapulted halfway across the galaxy.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:

If he bent his legs and then straightened them suddenly and with enough force.

300+ posts
300+ posts
I've seen a fat kid leap a stack of cheeseburgers!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Doc.Mid-Nite:
quote:

Yes, if he absorbed a lot of energy in deep space, with no magnetic field, he would be catapulted halfway across the galaxy.
It be cool if he could leap through time too!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc.Mid-Nite:
quote:

It be cool if he could leap through time too!
But if he lept through time wouldn't he need to leap through space as well?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
quote:
quote:

Hold on, Ben knows Glory?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hold on, Ben knows Glory?
So, there's a connection between Ben...and Glory?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Can Ben leap through space too?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:
Can Ben leap through space too?

If he bent his legs and then straightened them suddenly and with enough force.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
So what you're saying is that Ben leaps Glory?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
He enters her quantum field if you know what i mean.....

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
quote:

-
wouldn't you?

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:

:lol:

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
quote:

I know, but what if he entered her quantum field?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
quote:
quote:

-
wouldn't you?

Not if she turns into a dude, no.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard