Next Thread
Print Thread
Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Here's the deal:

I'll pick a character at random from the world of comic books. Your job is to reinvent that character.

Completely redetail the character from origins to powers to villains to costume (include sketches if you'd like). Change and improve anything and everything from the original design, but with full knowledge that you'd still like to appeal to the original audience (i.e; be careful not to change too much)

Upgrade, update, enhance, depower, redesign! whatever you want to do -- its your version!

Today's character: Richard Dragon

-

Base of Operations: Bludhaven
Marital Status: Single
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 185lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red
Creator: Denny O'Neil

Petty thief Richard Dragon is reformed and taught the martial arts by the O-Sensei, and joins the secret agency G.O.O.D. Fighting along side his on again off again partners, Ben Turner and Sandra Woosan (Bronze Tiger and Lady Shiva) Richard Dragon combated evil for years until finally retiring to live out a peaceful existence. Unfortunately for Richard, he has become a target for every martial artist who is looking to make a name for himself by beating the "Master of Martial Arts" Richard Dragon.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Doc.Mid-Nite:
Here's the deal:

I'll pick a character at random from the world of comic books. Your job is to reinvent that character.

Completely redetail the character from origins to powers to villains to costume (include sketches if you'd like). Change and improve anything and everything from the original design, but with full knowledge that you'd still like to appeal to the original audience (i.e; be careful not to change too much)

Upgrade, update, enhance, depower, redesign! whatever you want to do -- its your version!

Today's character: Richard Dragon

-

Base of Operations: Bludhaven
Marital Status: Single
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 185lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red
Creator: Denny O'Neil

Petty thief Richard Dragon is reformed and taught the martial arts by the O-Sensei, and joins the secret agency G.O.O.D. Fighting along side his on again off again partners, Ben Turner and Sandra Woosan (Bronze Tiger and Lady Shiva) Richard Dragon combated evil for years until finally retiring to live out a peaceful existence. Unfortunately for Richard, he has become a target for every martial artist who is looking to make a name for himself by beating the "Master of Martial Arts" Richard Dragon.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
It should be noted that Dennis O'Neil was not the sole creator of Richard Dragon. He and Jim Berry wrote a novel called DRAGON'S FISTS under the pen-name of "Jim Dennis" (combining their first names as a pseudonym), then adapted that novel to comic-book form. And Leopoldo Duranona gets the credit for creating his visual appearance. The Bronze Tiger's creators were the same as Richard Dragon, obviously, since he was in the novel and the first issues of the comic as well.

Until Samurai Jack and various imported movies such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (not to mention The Matrix and its knockoffs) made the martial arts genre "cool" again, I wouldn't have thought it could make much of a comeback any longer. I don't think Richard Dragon could make a comeback without a major overhaul in today's market, even though I kinda like the original late '60s to mid-'70s setting.

The basic premise shouldn't be tampered with. I mean, he should still be a white guy with red hair who can fight as well as any Oriental martial arts master. But the setting for the story could be changed. Maybe a futuristic world like that of Samurai Jack, or perhaps even set in the past in 16th century feudal Japan. I dunno. The character doesn't really give me much interest, so it's hard to think of what to do with him. I think it would take a writer/artist team of the highest calibre to breathe some new life into the musty old comic-book that is RICHARD DRAGON, KUNG-FU FIGHTER.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Dick Dragon....heh.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Uh shouldnt it be re-creating a character that people actually would like to see...
do we really need ANOTHER martial arts expert?!?!?!
one word...JUDOMASTER!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I agree with ya there, Franty. I'd much sooner see the original Judomaster return or have a new version of Judomaster than Richard Dragon, who couldn't hold a candle to Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
When it comes to "martial artist" comic book characters I guess it depends on who you like. Me, I got into Richard Dragon after his appearance's in Detective Comics and O'Neil's Question. After that I went back and collected most of his back issues. I didn't find "Richard Dragon Kung-Fu Fighter" anything special, but I do like what they've done to the characters of Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva, and Bronze Tiger since then. When it comes to Richard Dragon I actually kind of like the "marked man of the DCU" angle and think it could make for some interesting stories and new characters.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
If I was gonna reboot Richard Dragon, I'd make him Batman. Then NO ONE could beat him!!!

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by jafabian:
If I was gonna reboot Richard Dragon, I'd make him Batman. Then NO ONE could beat him!!!

:lol: ...Could you imagine Bronze Tiger being forced to wear Nightwing's old Robin costume? I'd get Bruce Timm to write it, since he writes "angry black man" so well for John Stewart.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Only thing I'll say for Richard Dragon is that he was DC's martial artist,Shang was Marvel & Judomaster was Charlton!

If I was gonna recreate him I'd make him more unusual,too many martial arts characters are into all that zen & honour stuff,I'd make him more of a rogue,more streetwise & very cocky!
When opponents bow their heads,he'd kick them in the temple!
I'd also dress him more contempory,not in pyjamas or a costume.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by TheTimeTrust:
I agree with ya there, Franty. I'd much sooner see the original Judomaster return or have a new version of Judomaster than Richard Dragon, who couldn't hold a candle to Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu.

I always thought that Judomaster was more on "par" with Iron Fist? Y'know a "martial artist with a super-power".

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
If the Bronze Tiger is Nightwing, would Shiva be Batgirl then??????

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Sensei is Alfred!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
quote:
quote:

I always thought that Judomaster was more on "par" with Iron Fist? Y'know a "martial artist with a super-power".
Judomaster didn't have any powers, though. Maybe you meant to say "a martial artist with a costume"...?

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
quote:
quote:

Judomaster didn't have any powers, though. Maybe you meant to say "a martial artist with a costume"...?
I thought Judomaster had the power to center his "Chi" for a kind of "super-endurability" much like Iron Fist can focus his "Chi" into a punch.

BTW, anybody else reading "Way of The Rat"? The Kung-Fu is strong in that book indeed.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought Judomaster had the power to center his "Chi" for a kind of "super-endurability" much like Iron Fist can focus his "Chi" into a punch.
That sounds more like Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt to me. I'm fairly certain the WWII-based Judomaster fought the enemy Japanese soldiers with nothing more than martial arts training. Thunderbolt was always a bit more mystical, however, so maybe that character had something like that.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
That's the thing for me though. I've found Judomaster to be a lot more mystical than most of the martial arts characters in comic books and it's hard not to consider him super powerful sometimes.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Hmmmmmm...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I dont know if that horrible Charlton mini a few years back counts as continuity but in that story Judomaster was still young in the modern day so he is long lived!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Just getting rid of a double post,dont mind me!

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I'd give Dragon a physical disability. The blind thing's well taken care of... lost hearing or voice isn't as impactful... maybe a missing limb.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by TK-069:
I'd give Dragon a physical disability. The blind thing's well taken care of... lost hearing or voice isn't as impactful... maybe a missing limb.

Well during O'Neil's Question, Dragon pretended to be in a wheelchair to avoid all those punks in the DCU who are looking to start a fight just to get over.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I mean a legitimate disability, like a missing arm from early training.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by TK-069:
I mean a legitimate disability, like a missing arm from early training.

I always thought it would be cool if he was missing a hand. Maybe if it was replaced by a kind of "claw" or something. That could have possibilities.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Oh like the guy in Enter the dragon,thats original!

25+ posts
25+ posts
"missing a limb", "like say the guy in Enter the Dragon"

Yup!! And remember that the 'Hand Man' "came straight out of a comic book!" I always LOVED that line!!

Enter the Dragon was DEF the all-time greatest martial arts movie!!

Richard Dragon's new book should be interesting, with the inclusion of a solid supporting cast (I see a fight with Bats on the horizon) - this book will go far!!

Judomaster DID have a superhero tint to it!

Shang Chi is the BEST comic book martial artist!!

Link Copied to Clipboard