Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Which characters do you guys think have been jobbed the worst? Here's my top five:

1.Hal Jordan (Emerald Twilight. 'Nuff said)

2.Captain Atom (here's a guy who's quantum powered, has a military background, and was the number one guy for Charlton Comics, but he still gets treated like a joke. [no no no] He needs a writer with at least some knowledge of "quantum mechanics" (I wouldn't expect Captain Atom to know too much either considering he's an Air Force captain) Captain Atom is easily one of the most powerful heroes in the DCU!

3.Katar Hol & Shayera Thal I really liked Hawkworld in the beginning but they screwed it all up. Now Katar is in semi-death limbo and we really see Hawkwoman either (even though she's on the cartoon! [izzat so?] ) They should split it up for all the Hawk fans, 'cause if they can have more than one Bat book, they can have more than one Hawk book)

4.John Stewart "Mosaic" was a very intelligent read and I enjoyed that title very much (especially in the beginning) I hate the fact that it's being ignored. I hate the fact he gets treated like a novice in JLA. I also hate the fact that they skipped over him for Kyle Rayner. DC gets one middle finger up from me on this one.

5.Darkseid He should never have gotten beat up by "Supergod". And the fact that they made him beg at the end made me sick. That's two middle fingers for DC.

Those are mine. What are yours?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Doomsday. He was tough stuff before, but now for the individual story's purpose, he can never get a firm grip on Superman anymore. Then there's his EXTREMELY fast evolution trait....Not so extremely fast anymore. Then they give him intelligence, AND GO NOWHERE WITH IT!!! [you sunnuva...] [you sunnuva...] Worst of all, they created a clone of him, fuckin' General-what an idiot!! [no no no] Impervious is DOOMSDAY'S talent!! NOT YOURS!! [you sunnuva...]

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Hal Jordan was a toy salesman for a while. Quite a drop from a test pilot, but I guess you get your jobs where you can.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
The entire Legion of Super Heroes. They've been a mess since the Crisis on Infinite Earths. I want Colossal Boy back, among other things.

Wonder Girl/Troia/Donna troy is the same way. Was a great Titan until Crisis came along. What's amazing is Marv and George wrote both and then George revamped Wonder Woman and didn't include Wonder Girl in it.

Ms. Marvel was fine until they canned her book. She was terrible as Binary and doesn't make any sense as Warbird.

Is Thanos a hero or villain? I don't get it.

New Warriors are a mess, as are X-Force, Generation X and the Defenders. (Though Kurt Busiek has laid the groundwork of a revamp now that he's brought back Valkyrie and Nighthawk.)

Metal Men need Gold back and Doc Magnus as Doc Magnus, not as a member of the group.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Hawkman. No other character's history has ever been this badly mangled.

Donna Troy. Misused, abused, and stupidly killed off.

Batman. Starting with DKR, he lost all his humanity and warmth, becoming a hateful, one-dimensional psycho with no redeeming qualities. Some writers have tried to correct this, but overall the more one-dimensional and slimy Batman is, the more fans seem to like it.

Superman. Starting in 1993, the character started being eroded by half-baked non-"events" and bloated, linked soap-opera crap that ignored him infavor of a massive supporting cast compromised of ciphers. Then we got the beginnings of Lois Lane, Superbitch, which carried over into the current comics where she's gotten WAY out of hand. Then Superman's intelligence, courage, and confidence took a walk, replaced with cowardice, being pussywhipped, and emotional instability. Add to that the creative, editorial, and corporate stagnation that took root as of '93, and you have the poster boy for seriously screwed-up comic book heroes.

Spider-Man. The whole "Clone Saga" did nothing but put a huge black mark on the character that will never really be erased, and the constant jerking around with his marriage made it even worse. Yeah. JMS has him and MJ together now, as they should be, but will it last? Judging from past history, I would say no.

Black Cat. When we last saw her, she was on the verge of being raped. Oh, yeah, GREAT way to leave a character. [you sunnuva...]

The X-Men. You'd need a scorecard to list out all the stupid stuff that's been done to the characters.

Iron Man. The whole teenage Tony idea was BEYOND retarded. Wouldn't it jsut ahev been easier to have Tony be brainwashed by Kang and subsequently struggle to redeem himself than to kill him off and bring in a time-displaced teen version of himself?

Aquaman. Nobody knows what to do with him. There's no direction to him at all.

Wonder Woman. Perhaps the biggest victim of the Crisis. Her romance with Steve Trevor? Trashed needlessly. Her Diana Prince identity? Given the heave-ho. The supporting cast Marston gave her? Scrapped and replaced with a ton of Johnny come-latelys. Cheerful and amiably cocky persona? Replaced with a tiresome, boring deer-in-the-headlights perspective on everything. Add to that the very annoying tendency she has toward hitting on married men (Superman, Aquaman) and going thru boyfriends like Kleenex (including some superheroes, to boot), and you have a character who's been reduced to a boring mass of Silly Putty with no direction, no style, and no core. She's basically just a writer's fantasy plaything now, which is a shame.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Mongul. When he debuted in DC Comics Presents by Jim Starlin he was treated as a character on par with Darkseid, and Alan Moore continued that in Superman Annual #11, but since then he's been depowered immensely and is now replaced by his son who sits in an Earth jail.

Stupid. [no no no]

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Preach on breatheren!

Let "unconstructive venting" cleanse your soul!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Nobody's mentioned the DC Captain Marvel yet?

Also, Bendis's treatment of Daredevil leaves much to be desired.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Jason Todd, Sarah Essen and Vesper Fairchild.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
quote:
Supposedly posted by King Krypton:
Iron Man. The whole teenage Tony idea was BEYOND retarded. Wouldn't it jsut ahev been easier to have Tony be brainwashed by Kang and subsequently struggle to redeem himself than to kill him off and bring in a time-displaced teen version of himself?

I didn't know about this, but it sounds just as bad as when they made the Atom a teenager so he could lead Dan "I'm a Well-Paid Hack" Jurgens' version of the TEEN TITANS for a time somewhere in the nebulous 'nineties. I couldn't stop shaking my head at the thinking that went into that. It would've been better if they'd just retired Ray Palmer altogether and let a new and separate character take on the role of the Atom. Talk about a bone-headed decision!

The Metal Men were also screwed up by Mike "I'm an Even Bigger Well-Paid Hack Who Can't Write Worth a Damn" Carlin when he decided to ignore everything about the Metal Men and make them merely human minds stuck in robot bodies. Ugh. And they've been in limbo ever since. Nobody's willing to touch them with a ten-foot pole anymore, now that all the charm has been sucked completely out of them. The guy simply did NOT get the Metal Men and shouldn't have been allowed to play with them as he did.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Artie and Leech!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Veronica and Betty.....they never get enough cock.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
The Legion of Super-Heroes.

Crisis?

Manhunters?

Zero Hour?

The reboot?

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh

JJ

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
That's it! Just let it all go, in this thread nobody's wrong, so if you dislike it, type it!

BTW, I just wanted to add two more to my list...

1.Mr.Miracle - The guy's the son of Highfather, was traded for Orion when they were babies to seal a peace treaty between Apokolips and New Genesis, and was raised by Granny Goodness and Darkseid. Mr.Miracle should be the DCU's frickin' version of Luke Skywalker! But instead is relegated to limbo.

2.Doc Mid-Nite I - Here's a guy that was killed off with extra cheese during Zero Hour. And why you might ask? Only because DC doesn't know what to do with a blind vigilante who happens to be a doctor. But a blind vigilante who happens to be a lawyer..... well that's movie material. Just ask Marvel! [AAAHHHH!!!]

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by PJP:

Oh for......this is so ignorant.

VERONICA GET TONS OF IT!!!!!!!! She's the Paris Hilton of comics. I bet there's a video out there on the web somewhere of her and Jughead.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
This calls for a new topic!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by jafabian:
quote:
Originally posted by PJP:

Oh for......this is so ignorant.

VERONICA GET TONS OF IT!!!!!!!! She's the Paris Hilton of comics. I bet there's a video out there on the web somewhere of her and Jughead.

I dunno...for a girl like Veronica, there's probably a big difference between getting "enough" of something and getting "tons of it."

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Anyway...

Here's my top five....

The REAL Captain Marvel- Breaks my heart to see him as a second tier hero.

Plastic Man- Hopefully Kyle Baker can restore him to glory.

The Titans- This book used to be able to go toe-to-toe with X-men; what the fuck happened? And who the fuck thought it was a good idea to kill Donna Troy?!?

The Spectre- Goddamn JM Dematteis and his new-agey gobbledygook. It's the WRATH of God. WRATH!!!

Batman- Too angry. I liked Batman when he and Robin would guest star on the Scooby-Doo cartoons. My favorite Batman line ever: "Look at that adorable chipmunk, Robin." I love that!

Link Copied to Clipboard