Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
I'll have to go with AMAZING SPIDERMAN 289, the issue where, after years of dramatic build-up, they finally reveal who the Hobgoblin is, and none of the clues add up to the person they reveal.

Rip off !

Tom Defalco was the writer, and I don't recall the art team, but it was nothing the slightest bit outstanding.

To fully understand incredible anti-climactic suckery this issue presents, you need to read AMAZING SPIDERMAN 238-250 to see how well the mystery, suspense and clues were developed and how thoroughly readers were cheated when issue 289 came out.

Peter David actually wrote it, and was hired at the last minute to do it by Jim Owsley (AKA Christopher Priest.) If I remember right, nobody knew who Roger Stern had planned on The Hobgoblin being, so Tom DeFalco just kinda strung readers along as long as he could. The decision to make Ned Leeds The Hobgoblin came at the last minute and was done only because he had been killed off about three months earlier in the Spider-Man/Wolverine one-shot.

I remember reading this story as a teenager and quitting comic books altogether for about six months out of disgust. Ugh!

Get the fuck out!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
The Killing of Ned Leeds in Spide-man Vs Wolverine was related and preplanned. I once translated the German being used by the KGB who were in the room and they were actually asking Peter if he had done it. It was all part of the set up.

Also, when Spider-man jumps the Berlin Wall, the guards are discussing their mothers' cooking.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:
I think in general its also avoided because it can date the book and also may seem politically biased if any criticism is shown.

Yeah.

And the issue of making the story dated is especially acute in a genre where characters don't age but stories now remain in print as TPBs.

Remember, for example, Bill and Hillary attending Superman's "funeral"?

As a result, technically, you have to assume that Superman "died" at least six years ago. Which right now isn't too big of a deal. However, it will only get worse over time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard