#1214062 2014-09-11 11:06 PM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morni...-is-dead-at-74/

Quote:

James Bond villains are often long on viciousness and short on charm.

Then there was “Jaws.”

Somehow, the giant man with steel teeth assigned by forgettable bad guys to dispatch Roger Moore often proved more compelling than Moore himself.

Now, Richard Kiel, 7 feet 2 inches — the metal-mouthed assassin with a heart of gold in “The Spy Who Loved Me” and “Moonraker” — is dead at 74. He died on Wednesday in St. Agnes Medical Center in Fresno, the Los Angeles Times reported. The cause of death was not given.

Kiel was supposed to be Lex Luthor to Moore’s Superman. He was more like the Coyote to Moore’s Roadrunner — a Frankenstein’s monster who never drowned the girl in the well.

This was by design — Kiel’s design.

“I didn’t really want to do it as it was a monster part,” Kiel told Den of Geek in 2009. He told a producer: “If I were to play the role I’d give him some human characteristics, perseverance, frustration, those kind of things.”

Jaws vs. Bond: Less deadly than hilarious. (Archive/United Artists Corporation)
This strategy was successful beyond anyone’s imagining. Like post-Civil War 19th century presidents, Bond villains are masks in a pageant with obscure grudges against 007. Can anyone remember why Goldfinger dipped women in gold or why Dr. No was so negative?

Kiel chewed his way out of this stereotype. His epic, bumbling confrontations with Bond on trains, on planes and in space are the few moments of hilarity in a 23-film franchise. And he was the only bad guy brought back by popular demand.

“I had convinced the producer that Jaws should have some characteristics that were human to counteract the steel teeth,” Kiel said. “I guess I overdid it – I became too likeable to kill off.”

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Bye,Richard.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
"Jaws" was introduced in the era I began watching the Bond movies. I started with Live And Let Die, then Man With the Golden Gun. And Jaws was introduced in Spy Who Loved Me, and then returned in Moonraker. I saw him as replacing the comedy relief of the redneck Louisiana deputy in the previous two movies.

Comparing his interaction with Bond to a Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner dynamic is interesting and accurate.

I also loved him in the original version of The Longest Yard.

A giant guy with a sense of humor. Somewhat comparable to Ted Cassidy ("Lurch" from the Addams Family).
Kiel definitely left a pleasant and memorable chapter in film history. He'll live on in his work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kiel

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I find it hard to picture Lothar finally saying goodbye to Dick.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts

Link Copied to Clipboard