Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/us/nfl-ray-rice-video-what-we-know/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

I'm not much of a football fan, but despite no interest in the game, this is a really interesting story with a lot of angles.

This guy was taped beating his wife in an elevator from two different angles.

It opens a forum on domestic battery.

It opens a forum on domestic battery IN THE NFL. And of other crimes committed by a high ratio of players, that often get a free pass by their employers.

You have women fans who still defend the guy, and even wear his shirt in support of him.

It shines a spotlight on how people worship players (and other celebrities) no matter what unconscionable things they do. Rice could have killed his then-fiancé/now-wife. And if she was dead when he carried her out of that elevator, he probably would have carried her limp body with no less callousness.

There's also the callous business and politics of the NFL and how they handled it, that resembles a political conspiracy. What did they know and when did they know it? And whether there was something of a cover-up.

Also ironically, the victimization of Rice's fiancé. And how ending Rice's career actually hurts her. Leaving him deeply frustrated, without income, and alone with her. That firing him likely puts her in more danger, and in that aspect is actually punishing her.

And the irony that she married Rice, right after he knocked her unconscious. The complex things going on in her head that would make her marry her attacker instead of dumping him.

A lot of angles.
Not only of what happened, but how it was reported by the media.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Editing both videos together, to give the full account of what happened:

The NFL alleges they only saw the part where Rice dragged his unconscious fiance out. That the part showing him knocking her unconscious was not available to them. Whatever difference that makes.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Too bad we don't have a sports forum to discuss things like this.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Online Content
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
what if it was her that cold cocked him? I guarantee everyone would have laughed at him and nobody would be talking about it now, weeks after it was initially reported. look at the Solange/Jay Z incident...people just laughed. just because women are considered the "weaker sex" men are punished more for being violent when there is no difference at all. every guy who says they would never hit a woman and would find a way to restrain her have never been in the warpath of a violent pissed off female. I have permanent scars on my arms and forehead from trying to restrain an incredibly drunk chick who I got into an argument with and the only reason I got away without more severe damage was because I slammed her into the ground and knocked her out. I almost went to jail but didn't go because witnesses said I tried to get away but she kept attacking and she still tried to press charges. oh, and did anyone step in the help me? no because I'm a big dude and they thought I could take care of myself.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Too bad we don't have a sports forum to discuss things like this.

Well, G-man, I considered posting this in the SPORTS forum.

But as I cited above, this is more about media coverage and wider aspects, and I think most would agree, goes way beyond sports. For openers, Rice and his girlfriend were in a hotel elevator when this occurred, not on a stadium field.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
It belongs in the elevator forum.

How you doin'?
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
Wife beating is only a sport if you're Ray Rice.

At least Irwin Schmuck is not here to blow G-man's post out of proportion for another 16000 posts while overloading his ignore list. My how things have changed around here.

There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.

Hello?
Put Natasha on the phone.
Who is this?
This is her fucking son's father. Who is this?
This is her fucking son.
..........oh.......
Call back in 20 minutes. *click*

Boy, you could get lost in a sky like that. I wish I had those balloons again.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
what if it was her that cold cocked him? I guarantee everyone would have laughed at him and nobody would be talking about it now, weeks after it was initially reported. look at the Solange/Jay Z incident...people just laughed. just because women are considered the "weaker sex" men are punished more for being violent when there is no difference at all. every guy who says they would never hit a woman and would find a way to restrain her have never been in the warpath of a violent pissed off female. I have permanent scars on my arms and forehead from trying to restrain an incredibly drunk chick who I got into an argument with and the only reason I got away without more severe damage was because I slammed her into the ground and knocked her out. I almost went to jail but didn't go because witnesses said I tried to get away but she kept attacking and she still tried to press charges. oh, and did anyone step in the help me? no because I'm a big dude and they thought I could take care of myself.

That's some wild insight, and it's true.
There's definitely a double-standard, and I've read several articles over the years about countless men nationwide who are abused by women, and just find it too humiliating to report. I never thought of police not taking it seriously when reported, but I can see that occurring too.

I was in a similar situation as you back in 1991 when I broke up with a girl (Lynda). It was a girlfriend who'd moved back to France and came back un-announced a year later to "surprise" me. When her friend (Enri) didn't have room to let her stay there as originally planned, I let her stay with me. We'd argued a lot before she went back to France and I wanted to end it on a good not a year later by giving her a very appreciated few days while she was in town.

In a nutshell, she found out that I'd dated and almost married another girl (Maria) after she went back to France, and was insanely jealous. Enri had told her how much I adored Maria. I told her I'd tried to give her the same adoration, but she didn't appreciate it.
She insulted me.
I called her a bitch.
She backhanded me hard, and I didn't see it coming. I asked her what words she'd use to describe her behavior. She raised her hand again, and I braced for the impact. But instead of hitting me a second time, she went back the guest room and closed the door. In my mind, I had thought if she came after me aggressively punching continuously, I'd defensively keep my arms up and get out the door. It was only after she'd left the room that I realized it had never occurred to me to hit her back.
Relative to your situation, I was extremely lucky, both on the lack of sustained physical assault, and on her not vindictively pressing charges after.

Earlier in the evening, we'd gone to Blockbuster together and then watched the movie she selected just before the argument. In odd appropriateness, Sleeping With the Enemy.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog

I think a guy should defend himself from any and all attackers no matter the gender. But when you put a football player against a woman, it's like putting a pitt bull against a dachshund in a dog fight. I'd have no problem if she'd hit him and he pushed her back. The fact that knocked her out and then drug her out of the elevator like a cave man is another story.

The real bullshit has been the NFL's response. They give a guy a couple of games suspension as well as doing their damnedest to not acknowledge the video existed while they suspended another player for a whole season for smoking weed.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I agree with Doog.

What astounds me the most is that I've spoken to three different females over here on this issue and all of them say she had it coming--as opposed to all the dudes who now hate the guy's guts. I didn't realize it for awhile, but apparently she instigated the fight and hit/spit at him first, and so all the chicks I talked to had little pity for her.

Chalk it up to warrior mentality I suppose.

That being said, none of them believed he knocked her head into the bar on purpose.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

I think a guy should defend himself from any and all attackers no matter the gender. But when you put a football player against a woman, it's like putting a pitt bull against a dachshund in a dog fight. I'd have no problem if she'd hit him and he pushed her back. The fact that knocked her out and then drug her out of the elevator like a cave man is another story.

The real bullshit has been the NFL's response. They give a guy a couple of games suspension as well as doing their damnedest to not acknowledge the video existed while they suspended another player for a whole season for smoking weed.

Presactly what doc said.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I hate all things that don't have a penis.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Gaey
It belongs in the elevator forum.

\:lol\:

Originally Posted By: Grandpa Wonders
I was in a similar situation as you back in 1991 when I broke up with a girl (Lynda). It was a girlfriend who'd moved back to France and came back un-announced a year later to "surprise" me. When her friend (Enri) didn't have room to let her stay there as originally planned, I let her stay with me. We'd argued a lot before she went back to France and I wanted to end it on a good not a year later by giving her a very appreciated few days while she was in town.

In a nutshell, she found out that I'd dated and almost married another girl (Maria) after she went back to France, and was insanely jealous. Enri had told her how much I adored Maria. I told her I'd tried to give her the same adoration, but she didn't appreciate it.

This was a Young and the Restless episode that you saw last week.

Link Copied to Clipboard