OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Two of those guys I could picture trying to rape her, if there weren't other people.

Creepy.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
The ones that actually went out of their way to walk alongside her, despite the girl clearly showing no signs of interest, are scary (even though the guys probably thought they were being smooth.)

...this also throws a wrench into the belief that the only ones who experience street harassment are those who dress up like they're asking for it. The woman is dressed decently, and to be frank, her built is not the type of built that mainstream culture would define as sexy.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Also, Wondy - most of the guys who harassed her in the video are either mexican or black.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
The ones that actually went out of their way to walk alongside her, despite the girl clearly showing no signs of interest, are scary (even though the guys probably thought they were being smooth.)

...this also throws a wrench into the belief that the only ones who experience street harassment are those who dress up like they're asking for it. The woman is dressed decently, and to be frank, her built is not the type of built that mainstream culture would define as sexy.

Yeah, there's a definite anger/aggression factor with the two guys who lingered with her. It's like since she wouldn't talk to them, they were confrontational, got in her face and intimidated her. And I wouldn't put the possibility of rape past them either.

I read an article a long time ago that rape has very little to do with sexual attraction, and is more about control and intimidation. Which explains why you read about grandmothers and other unattractive women being raped.
For me, this girl is not attractive at all, either in her looks or the way she is dressed. I think that was kind of the point, that she wasn't dressed particularly sexy or provocative, but was just kind of there, and yet still solicited so many comments.

Although many of the comments that are labelled as "catcalls" were actually just stuff like "Hi", "Nice day", and "Hey, how you doin'?" That range from just being polite (things I might say to another guy even), to politely trying to initiate a conversation.
On the other end, some of the come-ons were really obnoxious, and as you said, even scary.

Although not my style, most of these guys I don't consider out of line. The reality is, men are expected to initiate and ask a girl out, and even if a girl is really interested, she still isn't going to make it easy for a guy by making the first move. So if a guy doesn't want to die alone, he really is expected to make the first move, as long as he is respectful about it.

Although, approaching a girl like this on the street is rather odd, with a low probability of success. It's kind of like fly-cast fishing.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Also, Wondy - most of the guys who harassed her in the video are either mexican or black.

\:lol\:

Uh....

It could just be luck of the draw that day, or she was walking through predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods. But it could also be the cultural norms make these kind of approaches more permissible in black and Hispanic communities, the "swagger" and machismo of those two cultures, promoted in rap/hip-hop videos and elsewhere in the culture.
Although I always associated the "woooo baby!" kind of howls at women walking by with white construction workers.

Latin women I've dated say they prefer American men, because Latin men cheat a lot. I actually prefer either latin women, or Midwestern American women, who I think are more loyal one-man type of women. Big-city women from places like L.A., Miami, New York City or Chicago I always feel have their eye out for another guy on the side. But I've dated a lot of exceptions to that rule.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
She created the problem and she was asking for it.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts

How you doin'?

Link Copied to Clipboard