Print Thread
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

http://www.comicbookresources.com/articl...-3-in-the-works

Quote:

"The Dark Knight III: The Master Race" is slated to debut in fall 2015.

Friday at C2E2, writer Brian Azzarello took the stage late in the New DC Universe panel to tell the audience to close their eyes. Once they complied he had three letters for them to consider: "DK3" -- thus confirming that "Dark Knight Returns 3," officially titled "The Dark Knight III: The Master Race," is in the works. The series will run for eight issues, with installments scheduled to be released twice a month starting in late fall 2015.

"For the past six months, I've been working with Frank Miller to bring the next chapter in the 'Dark Knight' to light," he said. It's been humbling. I've learned a lot, and I call him sensei. It's a really, really big project."

Miller confirmed the news himself via Twitter (his first tweet in three and a half years), releasing promotional art from the story and stating, "I hope that by now my silence is deafening." In the official press release, DC Comics billed the story as "the epic conclusion of the celebrated 'The Dark Knight Returns' saga."

"Batman remains my favorite comic book hero and a sequel to Dark Knight is going to be daunting," Miller said in a statement. "But we'll do our best."

Rumors of a threequel to the classic "The Dark Knight Returns" graphic novel and its new millennium sequel "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" have been circulating for months, with many reports indicating that Miller would not write and draw the new book alone as he had (with inker Klaus Janson and colorist Lynn Varley) in the past. Azzarello's announcement confirms at least part of that rumor, and DC's release specifies that artists on the project haven't yet been announced.

"We are thrilled to have Frank back home at DC writing Batman," Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, Co-Publishers for DC Entertainment, said in a joint statement. "The story he and Brian have crafted is an astounding and triumphant conclusion to this seminal body of work which influenced and shaped generations of readers and creators alike."

Originally released in 1986, "The Dark Knight Returns" stands as one of the most influential and acclaimed superhero stories of any era. Its conflict between Batman and Superman has been cited as an inspiration for upcoming Warner Bros. film "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," and it appears that this story will also involve the Man of Steel -- with a bloodied Superman logo appearing prominently in the promo art released.

I liked DKR but did not like DKSA. I hope the new one is good.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It won't be. Frank Miller hasn't done anything good in nearly 20 years.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
Is it true Miller said he won't write for Marvel again because they resurrected Elektra after he killed her off?

How you doin'?
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

http://www.comicbookresources.com/articl...-3-in-the-works

Quote:

"The Dark Knight III: The Master Race" is slated to debut in fall 2015.

Friday at C2E2, writer Brian Azzarello took the stage late in the New DC Universe panel to tell the audience to close their eyes. Once they complied he had three letters for them to consider: "DK3" -- thus confirming that "Dark Knight Returns 3," officially titled "The Dark Knight III: The Master Race," is in the works. The series will run for eight issues, with installments scheduled to be released twice a month starting in late fall 2015.

"For the past six months, I've been working with Frank Miller to bring the next chapter in the 'Dark Knight' to light," he said. It's been humbling. I've learned a lot, and I call him sensei. It's a really, really big project."

Miller confirmed the news himself via Twitter (his first tweet in three and a half years), releasing promotional art from the story and stating, "I hope that by now my silence is deafening." In the official press release, DC Comics billed the story as "the epic conclusion of the celebrated 'The Dark Knight Returns' saga."

"Batman remains my favorite comic book hero and a sequel to Dark Knight is going to be daunting," Miller said in a statement. "But we'll do our best."

Rumors of a threequel to the classic "The Dark Knight Returns" graphic novel and its new millennium sequel "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" have been circulating for months, with many reports indicating that Miller would not write and draw the new book alone as he had (with inker Klaus Janson and colorist Lynn Varley) in the past. Azzarello's announcement confirms at least part of that rumor, and DC's release specifies that artists on the project haven't yet been announced.

"We are thrilled to have Frank back home at DC writing Batman," Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, Co-Publishers for DC Entertainment, said in a joint statement. "The story he and Brian have crafted is an astounding and triumphant conclusion to this seminal body of work which influenced and shaped generations of readers and creators alike."

Originally released in 1986, "The Dark Knight Returns" stands as one of the most influential and acclaimed superhero stories of any era. Its conflict between Batman and Superman has been cited as an inspiration for upcoming Warner Bros. film "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," and it appears that this story will also involve the Man of Steel -- with a bloodied Superman logo appearing prominently in the promo art released.

I liked DKR but did not like DKSA. I hope the new one is good.

I didn't read DKSA because the online critiques of it suggested that Miller was simply out to load up on some cash, rather than write something good.

Azzarello though is a great writer. A bit too oblique sometimes but has a real eye for a turn of phrase.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

http://www.comicbookresources.com/articl...rk-knight-story

Quote:

FRANK MILLER SAYS HE PLANS TO WRITE A FOURTH "DARK KNIGHT" STORY

Frank Miller has Batman plans beyond "The Dark Knight III: The Master Race," the writer and artist stated in an interview with Newsarama. CBR has confirmed that "Dark Knight III" is not the final "Dark Knight" story, though there are currently no specific plans in place for more.

"I thoroughly applaud what [Brian Azzarello's] doing. But now that he's doing his, it's now a four-part series," Miller said to Newsarama. "I'm doing the fourth."

Miller and Azzarello have co-written "The Dark Knight III," which was initially expected to be the finale of the saga that started with 1986's seminal "The Dark Knight Returns." Based on Miller's comment, it appears that he plans plan to write any subsequent "Dark Knight" stories solo. Newsarama notes that it was unclear whether would draw a fourth "Dark Knight" series, if one happens -- he illustrated the first two, with "Dark Knight III" drawn by Andy Kubert and Klaus Janson.

"Dark Knight III: The Master Race" #1 is scheduled for release on Nov. 25.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

After Miller's 2001 sequel BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN 1-3 that were universally panned, I'm surprised he's attempting another sequel (or two possibly).

Actually, I'm one of the few who liked many elements of the 2001 series, although not as good as the first.

I think it's a bad idea for Miller, or any artist, to come back and do a sequel long after-the-fact. I've yet to see a revival by any creative team that held the slightest comparable quality to the original series. Especially decades later, when an artist is working in a sharply different style than they were 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago.

For me, it comes across as an exploitative attempt to make money off the former series' popularity, by an artist who did his best work many years ago.
The Miller Batman stuff.
The WATCHMEN sequels.
Neal Adams' new Batman stuff.
Roger Stern's much later Hobgoblin series, roughly 20 years after his AMAZING SPIDER-MAN run.
Englehart/Rogers' 6-issue series that followed up their classic DETECTIVE COMICS 471-476 run.
Michelinie/Romita Jr/ Layton's IRON MAN miniseries, back around 2001.

And worst of all, Jack Kirby's HUNGER DOGS.
If the artist or collaborative team continued the series just a few years after they did the first, where they could continue it with the same style and vision, then maybe.
But so far after the fact, it seems obvious they don't even remember what they originally envisioned, and it's a whole new beast when they finally try to continue it.

One that I liked, warts and all, was the continuation of the McGregor/Russell AMAZING ADVENTURES/KILLRAVEN series (issues 18-39), when it was continued in the KILLRAVEN graphic novel (in 1983). And even continuing the series just 7 years after the series ended in 1976, there were still annoying differences in style, to both story and art.

As much as I would love to see continuation of so many of these series, so long after the fact, you just can't go home again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
I'm one of the few who liked many elements of the 2001 series, although not as good as the first.

I thought he had some interesting takes on a few of the support JLA members, namely, Atom, Plastic Man and, especially, Capt. Marvel. I would have much rather seen him tackle a non-Batman series about other aspects of the DCU.

Quote:
Englehart/Rogers' 6-issue series that followed up their classic DETECTIVE COMICS 471-476 run.

I thought that one was pretty good, actually. Not up to the first one, but definitely a better than average Batman story.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Meh. A lazy start methinks.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's always tough to write a (good) sequel to something that was supposed to be a final chapter in the first place.

Link Copied to Clipboard