brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

https://thinkprogress.org/geraldo-rivera...c2d8#.55x1z9qj2

Quote:

Geraldo Rivera resigns from Yale post over Calhoun College rechristening
After the university changed its residential college’s name, Rivera said Yale was too politically correct for him.

On Sunday, media personality Geraldo Rivera announced he had stepped down from his role as an associate fellow at Yale, following the university’s decision to rename a college that had once been dedicated to a staunch slavery supporter.

Yale University announced it would change the name of Calhoun College to instead honor Grace Murray Hopper, who was one of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer during World War II and also helped develop the Mark II and Mark III computers. The school had originally been named for John C. Calhoun, who held several high-profile positions in government, including vice president, senator, and secretary of state. Calhoun called slavery a “positive good.”

Rivera described the university’s decision to cease honoring a champion of slavery and instead recognize a female computer scientist as “intolerant” and “lame.”

Students, faculty, and alumni have protested against the college’s name since the Fall of 2015, not long after a white supremacist killed nine people as they sat in a Charleston, South Carolina church. After the murders, students at several colleges and universities began demanding changes to university campuses, such as getting rid of Confederate symbols and statues of Confederate leaders. Georgetown University renamed two schools previously named after presidents who organized the sale of slaves.

The fight to change the Calhoun College’s name resurfaced in the news when a black cafeteria worker was arrested for breaking a window at the school’s dining hall. The window depicted a scene of slaves carrying bales of cotton. The cafeteria worker, Corey Menafee, said, “It’s 2016, I shouldn’t have to come to work and see things like that.” Yale dropped the case against him.

In their petition to change the name of the college, Yale students wrote, “Seeing the world through other people’s eyes is a necessary condition for social progress. Respect for history in the eyes of some is the tolerance of white supremacy in the eyes of others. Like the official display of the Confederate flag in South Carolina, Calhoun College represents an indifference to centuries of pain and suffering among the black population.”

In a conference call with journalists announcing the name change, Yale President Peter Salovey said, “John C. Calhoun’s principles, his legacy as an ardent supporter of slavery as a positive good, are at odds with this university.”

From the article I get the idea he likes the idea of slavery.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

thinkprogress.org = Soros-funded propaganda site

If you start scrubbing all vestiges of Confederate history from universities and Southern states. it doesn't end there. You have to scrub George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other U.S. Declaration and Constitution founders, who owned slaves. It's a liberal-progressive America-hating way to undermine the country as a whole, not to scrub just a few figures who completely or partly/ambiguously may have endorsed slavery or white supremacy.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt wouldn't meet with Jesse Owens after he won the 1936 Olympics in Germany. Are we to scrub FDR?
Abraham Lincoln, despite his Emancipation Proclamation, had racist views and wanted to repatriate all blacks to the U.S.-established nation Monrovia in Africa, founded for that purpose. Are we to scrub Abe as well?

Henry Ford was a racist, and an enthusiastic advocate of Adolf Hitler. Do we scrub him too?

Or can we accept that these were different times, that some of these people may have had to work with racists and conform to racism just to retain political viability, or may have been unquestionably racist, but despite that made historical/cultural contributions to the nation and the world.

I had a (probably liberal) Jewish professor in college who said in ancient times slavery was almost a necessity to build human civilization that advanced humanity as a whole, such as building the pyramids or the cities of Rome. I never considered him a racist or an advocate of white supremacy who had to be silenced. He was simply speaking candidly about the realities of building civilizations and empires in those pre-industrial times. We can't judge those past eras by modern standards.

I wonder if the liberals at Yale feel similarly about Muslims who think it's perfectly fine to enslave infidels and rape, sell, beat and otherwise subjugate their women, as occurs in places like Sudan, Iraq, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
In the name of multiculturalism, they'd probably name a school after these fanatics. Their enemy is not slavery or injustice, it is Western Democracy.

Link Copied to Clipboard