Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

This article gives a remarkable overview of the Man-Thing/Swamp Thing/Heap connection:

https://thepatronsaintofsuperheroes.wordpress.com/tag/man-thing/

A lot of details I didn't know. Particularly the story in INCREDIBLE HULK.
And the fact that the writers of the two characters shared an apartment at the time!

Not mentioned in article, I was struck how almost identical the plots were of the first Man-Thing story in SAVAGE TALES 1, and the one in SWAMP THING 1. Both are scientists working on formulas for the government, both are driven to chemical transformations by thugs trying to steal the formulas, both have a climactic scene where they stop a moving car and take out the thugs.

Conway was 18 when he wrote the story in SAVAGE TALES 1.
Wein was 22 when he did HOUSE OF SECRETS 92. 24 when he did SWAMP THING 1. Both remarkably young when they created multimillion-dollar licensed characters.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
The Wrightson SWAMP THING stories in issues 1-10 are reprinted in multiple places, and easy to find. (Although the remainder of the 24 SWAMP THING issues have not yet ever been reprinted, despite some good stories by Michelinie and Redondo. )

The MAN-THING stories are far less often reprinted, particularly the SAVAGE TALES 1 story (May 1971).

The MAN-THING origin story was re-told (I think far better) in FEAR 10 by Conway with Chaykin/Morrow art (Oct 1972).
And the FEAR series ran in 10-19 (1972-1973), before it moved to its own series in MAN THING 1-22 (1974-1975).

Like the origin stories, both regular series began and were cancelled at almost the exact same time!

Link Copied to Clipboard