#1223786 2017-07-17 1:41 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Martin Landau, film and TV icon, dead at 89

Quote:
Martin Landau, a celebrated actor with dozens of movie and TV credits to his name, including the “Mission: Impossible” television series, has died at age 89, Fox News has confirmed.

Landau died around 1:30 PT on Saturday following “unexpected complications” while he was hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center.

The prolific actor’s most notable credits included the “Mission: Impossible” television series, Alfred Hitchcock’s classic film “North by Northwest,” and his role in “Ed Wood,” for which he won an Oscar.

Landau got his start as a newspaper cartoonist at the New York Daily News, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 17 when he began at the news outlet, and quit five years later to pursue an acting career after turning down a promotion.

He was also “an admired acting teacher,” to students like Jack Nicholson.

The beloved actor got his start on-screen in the 1950s. TMZ reported he appeared in almost 200 films and television shows and “worked until his death.”

Landau quit "Mission: Impossible" after three seasons in 1969 due to a contract dispute, according to THR. He finally became an Academy Award winner for his role in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" in 1994 after previously losing out to Kevin Kline and Denzel Washington.

The legendary actor dated Marilyn Monroe for several months and was best friends with James Dean in the 1950s.

Landau, who was born in Brooklyn, is survived by two daughters from his marriage with "Mission: Impossible" co-star Barbara Bain.

They didn't mention his role in the Space 1999 series from 1975-1977, where I first saw Landau. Where he co-starred with his wife, Barbara Bain.

Or his role in an Outer Limits episode "The Man Who Was Never Born" (1963), another I really enjoyed.

I was surprised he won an Oscar playing Bela Lugosi in the movie Ed Wood, a movie I loved, certainly a well-deserved Oscar for his performance. It was a commercial failure, but apparently, a critical success.

Another I really enjoyed was his role in the movie Ed TV, as Ed's stepfather. Both touching and funny, but good as it was, that film was also a commercial failure.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Good. glad he's dead. Always hated that guy.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Martin Landau, in the 1963 OUTER LIMITS episode "The Man Who Was Never Born" in his mutated form as a man in Earth's future. And a second photo of Landau's face without makeup in the same episode. It's kind of a fun irony that in the episode, the monstrous face is his true self, and Landau's true face is the illusion that other people see.

All these OUTER LIMITS episodes have beautiful cinemetography, and are very intelligently produced, more like short films than TV episodes, particularly the first season.
The producer Joseph Stefano wrote the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO in 1961.
The main cinematographer, Conrad Hall, went on to win an Oscar for his cinematography in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID in 1969.
Many of the production staff and writers went on to work on the STAR TREK series, after THE OUTER LIMITS was cancelled.

Landau 31 years later, with his much-deserved Oscar for the role of Bela Legosi in ED WOOD (1994). I love how when Ed Wood (Johnny Depp) first meets Legosi (Martin Landau), Legosi (Dracula!) is in a funeral parlor irritably trying out caskets for his anticipated coming death. Among many other great scenes. It's a complete mystery to me why this movie was a box-office failure, and not far more successful. It's a perfect movie to watch at Halloween-time.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I always thought Neal Adams swiped the faces on this cover (May 1971) from mutated Landau, in the above-mentioned OUTER LIMITS episode.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
It’s funny. All the stuff he did in his career but to me he’ll always be the guy from space 1999

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Originally Posted By: the G-man
It’s funny. All the stuff he did in his career but to me he’ll always be the guy from space 1999

I feel the same way. How could any obituary have left Space 1999 off the list of his work?

The Space 1999 series first season was actually filmed in 1973, and then went through a long period in hiatus before finally being purchased by a network and finally broadcast in late 1975-1976.

The Charleton SPACE 1999 comics series was mostly done by John Byrne in his first year as a comics artist. The likenesses of the actors in the series was quite good.
There was also a black and white SPACE 1999 magazine that lasted a few issues, also by Charleton. I think all the non-Byrne art was mostly by Gray Morrow. Som other stories by Staton, Sutton and Boyette.

Link Copied to Clipboard