Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1225949 - Sat Jun 02 2018 11:44 AM A chronological roadmap through the world of HELLBOY
Wonder Boy
Offline brutally Kamphausened

Loc: A glorious bold new America

I just stumbled across this wiki site for the various HELLBOY series:

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hellboy_Universe_Comics

I love the HELLBOY stories by Mignola. But it does get a bit difficult to keep track of all the limited series and one-shots. And which ones are Mignola work, and which are apocryphal works by other artists.

This site allows you to navigate through all these, and see everything that was published at a glance, and in what order.

I was lucky, I first got into HELLBOY in 2002-2003 and got all 5 collected editions up to that point:
1. SEED OF DESTRUCTION,
2. WAKE THE DEVIL,
3. THE CHAINED COFFIN AND OTHER STORIES,
4. THE RIGHT HAND OF DOOM
5. CONQUEROR WORM

At that point they didn't even number them, and I numbered them on the bags I keep them in. I completed reading them and was all pumped up for the first 2004 movie right before it came out. That delightfully, wasn't a disappointment, and in fact was quite good and consistent with the comics series.

It used to be all Mignola story and art. Now two thirds of the new material, at least, is by other artists.

Mignola's HELLBOY is among the last series that is consistent and that I still enjoy as one of the best things published in comics.

#1225952 - Sat Jun 02 2018 04:20 PM Re: A chronological roadmap through the world of HELLBOY [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

Here's a link to all the collected editions:

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/TPB#HB_Hell2

With links on the story titles of each, to see who did the art and where it's sourced from.

#1225964 - Tue Jun 05 2018 03:43 PM Re: A chronological roadmap through the world of HELLBOY [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

I was looking recently at a checklist I made of Scott Hampton's work, spanning close to 40 years. And I thought to myself, much as I love his work, though roughly a peer of Mignola's, who both began their comics careers in the early/mid 1980's, Mignola has a lot more star power than Scott Hampton.

I think the reason for that is because Hampton has done random work on other titles like SWAMP THING, ALIEN WORLDS, EPIC ILLUSTRATED, LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, where he's done one-shot anthology stories or contract stories on other peoples' characters, particularly Batman.
Scott Hampton has done virtually none that could be considered signature work that he created entirely himself, that are uniquely identified with him.
SILVERHEELS is the only one that springs to mind, and that was probably created entirely by Bruce Jones, who selected Hampton to draw it.
THE UPTURNED STONE, another one-shot graphic novel, is one Hampton did completely on his own. But again, not a sustained ongoing work. Likewise several other very good one-shot anthology stories, like the PIGEONS FROM HELL Robert E. Howard adaptation, or "The Ravenant" story in TALES OF TERROR. And the stories Hampton both wrote and drew in CLIVE BARKER'S HELLRAISER 2 and 4.

Whereas in contrast, Mignola created HELLBOY which is entirely his own, and has been expanding on his creator-owned property for over 25 years. And has expanded that somewhat into a universe of titles that he is kind of the Stan Lee of. Likewise people like Robert Crumb, Jaxon, Richard Corben, and Dave Sim. Each has created a body of work that stands out as entirely their own, in a way that those who do contract work on titles arguably don't have the same visibility and distinctive identity.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Forum Stats
3010 Members
14 Forums
65551 Topics
1187719 Posts

Max Online: 1242 @ Thu Mar 31 2016 02:41 PM
New Topics
Rudolph the controversial social justice warrior
by Wonder Boy
Who here thinks the French riots have anything to do with a gas tax?
by Pariah
George H.W. Bush dies at age 94
by Wonder Boy
Aquaman Final Trailer Breakdown: 10 New Secrets & Reveals
by the G-man
Holy Shit. Mego's back?
by the G-man
American killed by isolated tribal natives on island near India
by Wonder Boy
The endless list of Democrat crimes that go unpunished
by Wonder Boy
"Dust", documentary, 9-11-2001 first-responders' battle with cancer