Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

What tv shows or movies show locales that are set in or filmed in your region of the country, that make them more familiar and local to you?

One I felt that way about growing up was the series I Dream of Jeannie. Major Nelson's bahama-style house looks pretty much identical to the house I grew up in, and much of the local scenery in South Florida. Cape Kennedy where the show is set is just two hours North of me.

Another was the show Flipper. In elementary school, we went on a field trip to the Miami Seaquarium, and they actually walked us around the set on the grounds where Flipper was still being filmed. It was a very quiet dock area, but still, as kids seeing the set of a show we watched every week, very exciting to see.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The movie Live and Let Die (1973) was the first James Bond movie I watched, and the setting for much of it is in the swamps of Louisiana and Mississippi.
But for me, the scenery was virtually identical to the wetlands here in south Florida. It could just as easily have been filmed here.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The recent movie Parker (2013), starring Jason Statham and Jennifer Lopez, was filmed here in Boca Raton and Palm Beach, and much of the scenery throughout are places I'm very familiar with. Particularly the Boca Resort and Club.

In the scene where Jennifer Lopez (as a real estate agent) meets her client (Jason Statham) for the first time, it's in the lobby of the Boca Resort, where I used to work as a front desk clerk!

Every president since at least Gerald Ford have stayed overnight in the Boca Resort because they have exceptional security. I've been on the grounds when Ford, Bush Sr, Bill Clinton, and Obama have been there. Although I only ever got to meet Ford. Some other guests at the hotel when I was there included Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson, writer Norman Vincent Peale, and Tony Bennett. I checked in Ann Landers, who checked in under the name Ledbetter, which I thought was a pseudonym. But years later, I found out Ann Landers is the pseudonym, and Ledbetter was her real name.

Particularly fun in the Parker movie is a scene at the Resort where Staham fights a hit man sent to kill him, and throws the guy from the Resort tower. To my knowledge, no one has ever been killed at the Resort. \:\)

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
I was at Cornell back in the 80s when they filmed portions of "the Sure Thing" there.

Link Copied to Clipboard