Next Thread
Print Thread
#1229289 2019-07-29 9:03 AM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Meh. They have made better Spiderman movies. I think my slight dislike of the movie was due to mot enough red suited Spidey action. It was more of a Peter Parker movie with Peter running around in various bland costumes trying to save the day. Still it wasn't a horrible movie. It did keep me entertained all the way through.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The two end credit scenes were a big deal. The first set up the next Avengers movie. The second set up the next Spudey movie or two. It looks like they'll be doing their version of Brand New Day or something similar. Should make for some fun movies.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Far_From_Home

Quote:
Critical response

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 90% approval rating based on 395 reviews, with an average rating of 7.45/10. The website's critics' consensus reads, "A breezily unpredictable blend of teen romance and superhero action, Spider-Man: Far From Home stylishly sets the stage for the next era of the MCU."[125] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 69 out of 100 based on 55 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[126] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale,[127] while those at PostTrak gave it an overall positive score of 90% and a "definite recommend" of 76%.[114]

Owen Gleiberman of Variety praised Holland's performance and wrote, "By the end, this Spider-Man really does find his tingle, yet coming after Into the Spider-Verse, with its swirling psychedelic imagery and identity games and trap doors of perception, Spider-Man: Far From Home touches all the bases of a conventional Marvel movie. It doesn't take you out of this world. But it's good enough to summon the kick—or maybe just the illusion—of consequence."[128] Writing for the Chicago Sun-Times, Richard Roeper gave the film 3 out of 4 stars, calling it "zesty, sweet and satisfying" and praised the performances of the cast.[129] Bernard Boo of PopMatters praised the film, commenting, "Spider-Man: Far From Home is technically the final film in Phase [Three] of the MCU, and it's hard to think of a better way to send off the most successful run of one of the highest grossing franchises in history."[130] Alonso Duralde of TheWrap wrote, "If anything, and this is a compliment, the film frequently feels like a charming teen road-trip comedy that occasionally turns into a superhero movie. The wonderful cast certainly helps, with Holland and Batalon continuing their lovely comic rapport, augmented by Zendaya's deadpan Daria-ness and Rice giving Tracy Flick realness with a sweet center. Gyllenhaal nails his character's earnestness but also clearly enjoys a few moments that let him channel every exasperated-sigh, I-just-want-to-get-this-right male diva director he's ever known."[131]

Writing for IndieWire, David Ehrlich gave the film a grade of "C" and, despite complimenting the cast, called the film an "unadventurous bit of superhero housekeeping that only exists to clean up the mess that Avengers: Endgame left behind" and said, "But the Spider-Man we find at the end of the movie is no different than the one we met at the start; he's more confident now, and ready to accept a truth of his own design, but you can't help but feel like he could have learned all of the same things without leaving Queens or wasting our time."[132]

As is often the case with my own reaction to comics-based movies, your opinion seems to go against the consensus of the critics.

I'm often left scratching my head when I see 90% favorable ratings for movies that, from my own moviegoing experiance, sucked balls.

I haven't seen this particular movie yet, but reviews of many other recent movies and series (The Avengers movie comes to mind, as well as reviews of the Flash, Supergirl, and Green Arrow series) makes me see your view as likely a more accurate assesment.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_in_film

I frankly didn't realize just how prolific the films in the Spiderman franchise were.

I didn't even like the first one with Toby Maguire.

Link Copied to Clipboard