Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Rober Kirkman's Secret History of Comics. Without any announcement I'm aware of, I stumbled onto them when they first aired, airing alongside episodes of Comic Book Men.

I missed the first one when this series originally aired on AMC in late 2017.
And I'd intended to watch and record these when they re-aired at a later time.

6 one-hour episodes total:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5730352/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

I thought they were well-produced and worth watching, I actually learned a bit that I thought I already knew. I think the best ones were the first 3 on the earlier era of comics.

The one on Wonder Woman (episode 2) was particularly interesting. Charles Moulton Marston created Wonder Woman as a role model he felt was absent and needed for girls. He was the guy who created the lie detector! And he was having unusual relationships simultaneously with two different women, both of whom had characteristics that came out in the Wonder Woman character.

The one on Shuster and Siegel creating and fighting for legal rights to Superman (episode 3) is also quite good.

My one complaint is that they seemed to go beyond documentary and get a bit opinionated at some points, and express those opinions as if they were undebatable absolute facts. For example, in discussing the value or worthlessness of different eras of WONDER WOMAN stories. They had a very low opinion of the 1968-1973 era of stories that I actually liked a lot, and I thought were inventive, in having Wonder Woman lose her powers, and had to use her wits instead of powers, learned martial arts and traveled with the older mentor character I Ching, on James Bond-like adventures all over the world. Plus some fantasy adventure type stories, supernatural stories (issue 195) and some female-reader-oriented romance elements, and detective stories. They said it was "awful" but those are the Wonder Woman stories I liked the best. Except for the 1987 Perez run that focused on Greek mythology.

Episodes 2 and 3 ran last night, episodes 4 and 5 air at 4AM and 5 AM tomorrow on AMC. I don't know when the last episode will air.

Opinions?

Have any of you seen it?

I regret not seeing the first episode on Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I've missed it twice now. I even considered not recording them and just buying the 6 episodes on DVD, but it doesn't ever seem to have been released in that form.

Likewise the series The Man In the High Castle. Although I did watch the first episode of that series online, and thought it was over-rated and a dud.

But what I've seen of the comics history episodes, I'd recommend them.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Cuortesy of Youtube, the complete episode 1, for your viewing pleasure:

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, "The Mighty Misfits Who Made Marvel" (42 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSkFQiESgHQ

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The second episode, on Charles Moulton Marston and the two women in his life who inspired the creation of Wonder Woman:

"The Truth About Wonder Woman"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZsZdxkvwp0

Link Copied to Clipboard