Next Thread
Print Thread
#1230060 2019-10-26 1:49 AM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
This is a new twelve issue story and is written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Bryan Hitch. It was an ok read. It was a bit of an underwhelming read because it was more of a Bruce Wayne story than a Batman story. Kind of a boring story. I doubt I'll buy any further issues.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

BATMAN'S GRAVE
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=49460933

Nice art. But pending any favorable reviews, I'm very Grant Morrison resistant.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Loved planetary, but didn’t care for any of Ellis’ other mainstream work. I’ll wait for the trade and good reviews

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Am I hallucinating?
I could have sworn Grant Morrison's name was attached to this series. My error, Warren Ellis.

While I'm not a big Warren Ellis fan either, he does always seem to be paired with really good artists. The first thing I ever read by Eliis was a 4-issue STARJAMMERS miniseries, paired with Carlos Pacheco.

I read the first dozen issues of PLANETARY, then lost interest.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Loved planetary,

I think it was on the old DCMB where I saw good and bad reviews about Planetary. I just never bought any issues to see for myself.

Last edited by Lothar of The Hill People; 2019-10-30 9:01 AM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Loved planetary,

I think it was on the old DCMB where I saw good and bad reviews about Planetary. I just never bought any issues to see for myself.

You ought to pick up the first volume, for the art if nothing else.

It’s a little like Astro city or Top 10 in that it plays with archetypes that are common in DC and Marvel (including a really sinister take on the fantastic four) as well as pulp heroes and similar tropes. The interplay between the three lead characters is fun, and reminiscent of the X-Files by way of Buffy.

Now I kind of want to go and re-read it.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

PLANETARY series, all 27 issues, online:
http://12comic.com/comic.jsp?id=190227014105fc0v

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Planetary is surely one of the best comics ever written for people who like comics. Most of it is to do with the archeology of comic books. The team discover things that almost occurred or which occurred and ended. you've got nods to Godzilla, old 50s sci-fi (Attack of the 50 Foot Woman), Jules Verne, a Vertigo Comics homage, a Doc Savage story, a absolutely brutal "why the JLA never happened" story, a Star Trek Borg story, even a "why Batman is so different in each of his iterations" story with a cross-over of sorts to mainstream Batman. (The DKR batman is awesome, but we also see the Neal Adams Batman complete with purple shading, and the '66 Adam West Batman). The villains of the story are The Fantastic Four, kind of a "what if they were self-ish and evil fuckers?" And "what if Reed Richards's initial rocket trip was intentional?"

I didn't know Ellis was writing Batman. He must need the money. Ellis really turns up his nose at superhero comics and the two main publishers. He referred to his time with Marvel a few years ago as his "year of whoredom" - it happened to coincide with lukewarm receptions of his novels (Gun Machine was pretty shitty). Ellis has an enormous wit which is acerbic and unforgiving. It didn't translate well into prose and he mucked up his characterisation with it.

in comics, he has some clever ideas (look at Iron Man: Extremis, and Simon Spector). I didn't like Transmetropolitan, which I thought was a political wankfest. But he did a fine job on The Wildstorm for DC, which I think just finished up.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
I didn't know Ellis was writing Batman. He must need the money. Ellis really turns up his nose at superhero comics and the two main publishers.

He did a Batman story a long time ago in “Legends of the Dark Knight.” I really didn’t care for it.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
I didn't know Ellis was writing Batman. He must need the money. Ellis really turns up his nose at superhero comics and the two main publishers.

He did a Batman story a long time ago in “Legends of the Dark Knight.” I really didn’t care for it.

The Batman story for Planetary wasn't a straight Batman story obviously, and the Batman portrayed in JLA/Planetary was more like Sherlock Holmes than Batman. The character is subject to so many interpretations, some of which are great, and some lazy.

I was pretty impressed by a Scott Snyder Batman story recently in The Batman Who Laughs. I thought Snyder was a hack. But then we have this: https://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/2019/02/28/the-batman-who-laughs-1-of-6-review/

Quote:

Batman looks inside one of the coffins to find the 45 year old corpse of Bruce Wayne.

This is an other-dimensional Bruce Wayne, one who gave up being Batman when his back was broken by Bane. A wedding ring is missing from his finger, and a tattoo with the word “May” signifies to Batman a thought known only to him: that he and Catwoman had a daughter who would have been called May. “May is… May is the name I would have suggested to Selina if we had ever had a daughter. It evokes a new start. A new beginning.” Batman, looking at old recognisable scars and the absence of newer scars, calculates that this version of himself gave up crimefighting after being beaten by Bane, and looked to other ways to help Gotham City – through construction.

This dead version of Batman gives away secrets of his life through his face:

Batman: The lines around Bruce’s eyes…
Alfred: Smile lines.
Batman: And his mouth.
Alfred: Laugh lines.
Batman: Yes. It seems whatever life he built, he was…
Alfred: Happy.
Batman: [silence]
Alfred: Sir. Sir. Are you there?
Batman: I’m here.

It is a poignant scene. Batman sees himself as he might have been if he had given up his never-ending war on crime and settled down, raised a family, and become happy. Batman looks at a version of himself where he eventually recovered from the trauma of his parents’ murder, at a version who did not make the mistake of fighting on. Batman sees a Bruce Wayne who called it a day, and became happy in life.

I've got to say, for a character who has been interpreted and reinterpreted in so many ways, this one really got me.

On the other hand, we have Snyder's The Grim Knight which is basically The Punisher in a Batman mask - https://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/2019/03/17/the-batman-who-laughs-the-grim-knight-1-review/

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Link Copied to Clipboard