Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1230547 - Mon Dec 30 2019 09:20 PM Archie Goodwin's and Walt Simonson's Manhunter
First Amongst Daves
Offline Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.

I recently revisited this story:

https://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/2019/12/24/revisiting-manhunter-review/

This story (not a title, but a series of back-up stories) blew away my little 15 year old head when I read the collected works. It was written in such a different style to other comics I was reading at the time - Gerry Ordway's Fury of Firestorm, Len Wein's Green Lantern, or Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron:

a. Goodwin packed in the narrative text when he needed to, and then used silence for many of the combat scenes. That was strange and innovative.

b. It was no-holds-barred, desperately violent. I don't recall a similar line of dialogue around the time in any other comic where a villain openly threatens that he is going to shoot the good guy in the head. We'd see that frequently in Batman nowadays, but not Batman of Aparo and Adams back in the late 70s.

I think what I didn't understand until I wrote the review was the espionage backdrop of the era. In interviews, Simonson repeatedly talks about Manhunter as the toe-dip into martial arts. Yet no one has thought about The Day of the Jackal movie being released that year, and the high profile, incandescent vengeance of Israel over the Munich Olympics massacre.

I tagged Walt Simonson when I posted this story on Twitter, hoping he'd chime in, but no luck.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

#1230548 - Mon Dec 30 2019 10:48 PM Re: Archie Goodwin's and Walt Simonson's Manhunter [Re: First Amongst Daves]
the G-man
Offline Officially "too old for this shit"

Loc: the right
You read it in collected form at 15. I read it in serialized form when it first appeared. Blew my nine-year-old mind, especially the ending.

It was also my introduction to Walt Simonson's art which was totally different than anything in comics (especially the relatively staid DC Comics) at the time. To this day, he's one of my top ten Batman artists largely based on this story.

Too bad DC animated doesn't adapt this, using Simonson's art as the storyboards/character designs.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
3019 Members
14 Forums
65696 Topics
1190514 Posts

Max Online: 1504 @ Mon Dec 09 2019 08:08 PM
New Topics
43rd Annual Ultimate Day!
by Ultimate Jaburg53
Gay writers, artists, stories and issues in comics
by Wonder Boy
line of succession to the British throne
by Wonder Boy
Hail to the king, baby
by the G-man
Golden Globe Awards: comedian Ricky Gervais gives Hollywood's elite an unexpected jolt
by Wonder Boy
So, what's in the news?
by Ultimate Jaburg53
Obama White House met in 2011 with leader of Baghdad U.S. Embassy attack
by Wonder Boy
Happy New Year Everyone
by the G-man
Archie Goodwin's and Walt Simonson's Manhunter
by First Amongst Daves
Will Elders EC Christmas card
by the G-man