Print Thread
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Russia Offered Afghan Militants Bounties for Killing U.S. Soldiers: NYT
 Quote:
United States intelligence agents believe that Russia offered Afghan militants bounties to kill U.S. soldiers and other coalition troops during peace talks between the U.S. and the Taliban, The New York Times reports. The talks were part of an effort to wind down U.S. military presence in the Middle Eastern nation, but the covert effort by Russia appears aimed at undermining them. U.S. intelligence officers reportedly reached the startling conclusion months ago and have been debating a response since. President Donald Trump has been briefed on the matter, as has the White House National Security Council, but neither has made a direct response. Islamist militants and their associates killed 20 U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan in 2019, and intelligence officers believe that the insurgents did collect bounties from Russia, but it’s unclear how many of those deaths are considered paid for by Russia.

So while Trump was pushing for Russia to be included into the G7 he knew they were doing this.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Where does it say he knew it at the time? It says he’s been briefed but not when the briefing occurred.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Where does it say he knew it at the time? It says he’s been briefed but not when the briefing occurred.

The WH now says he wasn’t briefed. I suspect that isn’t true but if so it’s pretty disturbing that information wasn’t presented to him. Trump should be upset at those who failed him on not getting that vital information to him. So far his response has been to attack the media for reporting on it. Why can’t he show the same passion for bounties being placed on our guys that he does for stone replicas of those that betrayed this country?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
...or, like a lot of anonymously sourced stories, it’s BS. I’ll adopt a wait and see attitude.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
...or, like a lot of anonymously sourced stories, it’s BS. I’ll adopt a wait and see attitude.

I can understand the whole anonymous source and wait and see attitude G-man. I do think it’s something very much in the realm of Trump though. The denials from what I’ve seen so far don’t extend to the intelligence itself but that it never reached anyone in the WH.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I just saw a general interviewed on OAN, and he said that five high-level Trump and military officials have denied that Trump was briefed so far. As he put it, there is always documentation of meetings, particularly with classified military information, and there is no way these high-level people would deny Trump was advised, if there was documentation out there proving that he was advised.

Increasingly, "anonymous source" at the New York Times translates to: we hate Trump so much we just made something up to bury him in false allegations. BIDEN 2020!!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Kind of funny how this article is coming out right around the time the investigation into the intelligence community abusing its powers vs General Flynn seems to be heating up

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

I just saw a general interviewed on OAN, and he said that five high-level Trump and military officials have denied that Trump was briefed so far. As he put it, there is always documentation of meetings, particularly with classified military information, and there is no way these high-level people would deny Trump was advised, if there was documentation out there proving that he was advised.

Increasingly, "anonymous source" at the New York Times translates to: we hate Trump so much we just made something up to bury him in false allegations. BIDEN 2020!!

Just to note everything you just provided there is anonymous besides OAN that doesn’t appear to be anything but a pro-Trump propaganda service. What was the name of the general?

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The military officer appeared on camera on OAN when interviewed, with his name shown on the screen, even though I can't recall it. It wasn't anonymous. If I see the report again, I can add it. But it is credited, and not anonymous. Nor are Trump and the other 5 anonymous sources.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Here's an article from The Hill (which is a pretty dead-center publication politically, not center-left or center-right).

TRUMP, AND TRUMP OFFICIALS, DENY TRUMP WAS BRIEFED ON REPORTED BOUNTIES ON U.S. SOLDIERS BY RUSSIA

Quote:
On Saturday, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany also denied a report from the Times on Friday that Trump and Vice President Pence were briefed on American intelligence findings that Russian military operatives offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition forces in Afghanistan, including U.S. troops, amid peace talks.

"While the White House does not routinely comment on alleged intelligence or internal deliberations, the CIA Director, National Security Advisor, and the Chief of Staff can all confirm that neither the President nor the Vice President were briefed on the alleged Russian bounty intelligence," McEnany said in a statement.

She said the U.S. “receives thousands of intelligence reports a day and they are subject to strict scrutiny.” McEnany added that she was not denying the intelligence exists but said the president was not briefed on it.

This is yet another down-a-rabbit-hole liberal media diversion and lying narrative.

And even if (hypothetically) Trump was advised, what would that prove? It's up to the military to take action against those attacks. If Trump (hypothetically) was advised of the bounties offered and went public about it, the media would just accuse him of giving publicity to Russian threats, and undermining our soldiers on the field there.

So no matter what is reported or confirmed, the near-100% negative anti-Trump liberal media will somehow spin it as Trump doing something wrong.
Which aids who? The Russians and the Taliban. The question is: Whose side are the media and the Democrats on. Apparently, they side with the Russians, Taliban, Chinese and Iranians, wanting to depose Trump, who is the only obstacle to their aggression.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Per CBS: https://twitter.com/CBS_Herridge/status/1277329946541805569?s=20

Looks like the latest "anonymous NY Times" story may be falling apart already.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The failing New York Times....

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Quote:
Report: U.S. spies, commandos warned of suspected Russian bounties in January
After finding a large amount of American cash during a raid on a Taliban outpost, U.S. intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan told their superiors as early as January that they suspected Russia was paying bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops, The New York Times reported late Sunday. The money got "everybody's attention," one official told the Times, and was a key piece of evidence in determining the Russian plot. U.S. officials believe several American troops were killed for Russian bounties, The Washington Post reported. In its initial report on the Russian plot, the Times said the Trump administration had been discussing it since at least March. Trump tweeted Sunday morning that "nobody briefed me or told me" about the "so-called attacks on our troops."
The Week

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

Quote:
Report: U.S. spies, commandos warned of suspected Russian bounties in January
After finding a large amount of American cash during a raid on a Taliban outpost, U.S. intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan told their superiors as early as January that they suspected Russia was paying bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops, The New York Times reported late Sunday. The money got "everybody's attention," one official told the Times, and was a key piece of evidence in determining the Russian plot. U.S. officials believe several American troops were killed for Russian bounties, The Washington Post reported. In its initial report on the Russian plot, the Times said the Trump administration had been discussing it since at least March. Trump tweeted Sunday morning that "nobody briefed me or told me" about the "so-called attacks on our troops."
The Week

You know, that’s just them exerting the same article that people are saying was incorrect, don’t you? It’s not a new development there

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It was something I hadn’t seen.
Going by the WH responses I’ve seen it seems that the intelligence in the Times story does exist. What seems to be the main dispute is if Trump was briefed on it.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Trump and high-level Pentagon and White House officials are constantly briefed on unconfirmed intelligence, that may or may not be true, and remains unreliable information until it is confirmed.

But the anti-American cultural marxist insurrectionist Democrat-Left, and their likeminded brethren in the 93% anti-Trump liberal media, are insinuating things were confirmed when they were not, just to undermnine Trump and damage the country they hate.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
"THIS NEVER HAPPENED" : SOURCES CLOSE TO TRUMP RALLY TO HIS DEFENSE, AND AGAINST THE ATLANTIC STORY
https://dailycaller.com/2020/09/06/...e-to-trump-rally-defense-atlantic-story/

Many of them who accompanied Trump on the D-Day trip were quoted in the article. White House staffers, Pentagon officers and generals, reporters, even the fired John Bolton who has no loyalty to Trump, all say the allegation is absolutely false. At last count, 23 officials went on the record by name to say that by their firsthand observation of the president while accompanying him, Trump never said what was alleged.

And lone Jennifer Griffin says (not firsthand) that she has some anonymous source that alleges Trump said it. But won't go on the record.

Fake news. A vicious smear job.

Link Copied to Clipboard