Print Thread
Pariah Offline OP
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The search function doesn't work!

The one time I'm trying to put a thread together for the good of the boards and the world, and I can't research past threads to put the opening post together because your BOREDSZZ decided to she the bed.

I hate you!! I hate you!!

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
And what the fuck is THIS!?!?

"This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired."

It was barely two seconds! Do I have to live my life knowing I have typos floating around?!?

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
For the love of LOCH HEXEN and Sneaky Bunny--FIX THIS SHIT!!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
There iss a lot that needs to be fixed, I e-mailed Rob about my wish list.
Just a few items:

1) If many of you have been wondering why I've been posting my signature (with a political statement) in non-polital topic, it's because the normal PREVIEW REPLY button doesn't give you an option to not add a signature. to NOT post a signature, you have to use the USE FULL EDITOR button to get thee option to not post your signature.

2) If there's an error, you can't currently edit posts. Even one second after you post, if you hit the EDIT POST button, it says, "the time limit to edit your post has expired" or somesuch. So no matter how well I try to proofread my post first, if I make an error or fuck up a link or other code, unless the edit function is improved, it's there forever. And I hate the redundancyof re-posting it a second time correctly, but that's the only way I know to do it for now.

3) I hate --HATE !!-- the forum topics pages where you see all X's for the pictures and icons, and it's hard to read even the titles because of weird spacing. I contacted Rob, and
Rob let me know how you can use a different skin that allows you to see a normal page. (the soriginal boards skin version is "Always Use Default Setttings", so you want to select UBT77 or UBBT77-dark (the 2nd and 3rd options).

Originally Posted by Rob Kamphausen
if you head into your profile, which "forum style" are you using?
http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=editdisplay

Which I did, and now I see the normal icons and images on the FORUM pages, but still can't edit posts. What I used to do on the old boards is click-and-drag my post, delete the wrong post or topic, and then re-post it correctly, options no longer available, at least for now.

4) Some other wisdom offered from Rob on how to fix problems in the new boards version:

Hi Rob,

I realize it was a lot of work just to get the RKMB boards back just to this stage, but a few requests when you can get to them:

1) Can you get rid of all the "X"'s where images and icons used to be on the list of topics pages? It's kind of messy to the point that I have trouble knowing what to click. You probably have the images for all these stored somewhere, so you can just re-create the images. [Again, select UBT77 or UBBT77-dark (the 2nd and 3rd options).]

2) I have a heck of a time posting, that has discouraged me from posting as much. I can't get bold lettering to work ( [/b]), and that's never happened before. I also can't edit my posts if I make a mistake. It says "the maximum time to edit has expired" or somesuch, but there's no time whatsoever that you can edit. Can't that be fixed? I hope so. Even the PREVIEW screen doesn't allow me to see how my post actually looks in advance. [ you have to go through the PREVIEW button, then select USE FULL EDITOR to see it better, and have a check-box to add or leave out your signature in a post.]

I don't know why italics works ([i][/i]) , but for some reason bold does not ([b]
) . [That part, either by Rob's efforts or just osmosis has corrected itself, and you can post bold and italic text now.]

I also miss the list of posters and private message features.

Another thing that infuriates me is that if I quote anything that has either an apostrophe (I’) or an * (◾) [or a quote/unquote ( " ")] it tuns into a weird code of characters instead. This has also happened to these symbols in old posts carried over from the old board. I hope that can also be corrected at some point. [on some posts, both new and old, this happens, but often they post normally. So you need to be super careful when posting that what you post doesn't have these characters changed to code when quoting someone else. ]

I know Rome isn't built in a day, but hopefully that gives you some initial things that can easily be corrected, that will make posting on the new boards a lot more easy to navigate.

--Dave (t W B)

I also asked Rob if it was possible to fix the women photo images to display again (instead of now X's] on all the WOMEN topics Wednesday/Jason E. Perkins posted. Many of those galleries have survived crashes for over 15 years! To lose them now, after all that... Rob let on they might be save-able. Some of Rob's own photos posted (such as his opening posts to the Alyssa Milano topic) have also been lost. But both Rob's and Jason's photos were all posted with www.PhausenEntertainment code, so I remain hopeful they can be recovered. Likewise the photoshopped images of many posters here in the "All Right You Fucks..." topic (I think most of the photoshops were originally posted by Nowhereman).

Again, I know this has been a lot of work for Rob, and he has a full time job and a family beyond that, so I realize it takes time to bring all this back. I just hope the system allows bringing back all the features I (and probably all of us) enjoyed on the old boards.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Other wisdom from Almighty Gob:

post edits have a life span. i think it's 3 days. i can see if we can bump that out. ill see if i can get those images back, too -- but no promises.

Maybe it's just because I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not seeing a 3 day window to edit. If I try to edit 10 seconds later I can't make changes.

search should be accessible via a lil magnifying glass icon in the upper right. private messages are a little envelope in the upper right.

I tried the SEARCH function, but to no avail so far.

I'll try Private Meassage now.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Wow, all the old messages are still there and restored, right back to the beginning of Gob's creation!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Using the magnifying glass in the upper right to search a word (I searched "profs", to try and find G-man's topic on college professors)
and only got this message:

You do not have permission to use the search engine.

So again, maybe soon, but not yet.

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
Wow, all the old messages are still there and restored, right back to the beginning of Gob's creation!

Mine too.

Except they only go back to 05. Weird.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Damn the rebooted boards are a pain in the ass !

It used to be you could just post a link, and it would come up a link. Now all of a sudden in the last 2 days you have to frame it in [url ] and [/url ], or it doesn't become a link.

Likewise, posting a Youtube video requires different code. I learned how to do it right by reverse-engineering one of Mr. JLA's posts. Thanks, bro ! (whether you knew it or not).

Other unresolved problems still pissing me off to no end (if Rob is listening) :

1) fixing it so we can edit posts and correct errors. (If I could delete a post, I could delete the error and re-post it correctly, as an alternative.)

2) Re-enable the SEARCH function.

3) even POST REPLY and PREVIEW REPLY are a pain in the ass. It's hard to tell your preview post from the previous post you're responding to, they're so similar. I click on USE FULL EDITOR, which is an unnecessary extra step, but it's the only way I can avoid posting my signature. You can tell the posts where I forgot to do this when I have a signature on a post it doesn't really go with, like posting a fun photo or a one-liner joke post.

I realize you're busy, Rob, but please, these things need corrected when you have the time.

Also using quotes of " or ' or other symbols sometimes post correctly, but other times turn into a string of code letters instead, as has happened to many new and old posts. Also to asterisks I attempted in one post. Most often this happens to things you quote, or click and drag to quote from an article, brought from outside the boards.

Quoted things sometimes end up turned into ?question marks? instead of quotes, too. I see that a lot in M E M's posts. I think some of these things happen if you just use POST REPLY instead of USE FULL EDITOR, but it's hard to be sure, and to fully figure out the logic of why it occurs.

Opinions? Suggestions? Feel free to share.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Thank goodness we still have access to this gem!

Originally Posted by Pariah
Trump will win in a landslide both in the popular vote and the electoral college.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Originally Posted by MisterJLA
Thank goodness we still have access to this gem!

Trump will win in a landslide both in the popular vote and the electoral college.

A post so powerful, it has reverberated across every forum!!

I think when you expose the cheating by Democrats, in the end Trump will prove to have actually won both the electoral and popular votes, in both 2016 and 2020. The difficulty is proving it in court, even though it's obvious that's what happened. The Democrats are really good at cheating.
The latest thing is some kind of algorithm used by the [Democrat controlled] elections supervisor in Michigan, where they took about 5,000 Trump votes and flipped them to Biden votes in a second. Now they're finding that didn't happen just once, but in 45 other voting precincts in Michigan.
And now Trump lawyer Jay Sekolow is saying that could have been duplicated in 30 other states!

Democrats are trying to block investigation of this. Gee, what a surprise....

That's in addition to all the other ways Democrats have cheated in this election already. From the dead rising to vote, ballot harvesting, mailmen throwing away Trump ballots, mailmen fraudulently backdate-stamping ballots arriving Nov 4th and later as "Nov 3", ballot counters obstructing ballot-count monitors so they can slip in hundreds of thousands of fraudulent ballots in Biden's favor, ballot counters filling out incomplete ballots so they can be counted for Biden instead of thrown out, on and on. Emboldened, Democrats have cheated every whichway they could. Even if Democrats can manage to drag their candidate over the finish line, a majority of the country will never accept it as legitimate, they know this election was rigged. Not just one way, but multiple ways.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

HALLELUJAH ! The boards are back!

I was getting worried there for a while, Rob. They were down from Nov 7th to Nov 30th, a lengthy down-time.
Glad to still have these boards, and not lose you guys.

1 member likes this: the G-man
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
And what the fuck is THIS!?!?

"This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired."

It was barely two seconds! Do I have to live my life knowing I have typos floating around?!?

Welcome to my world.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fuck off, Gerald.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]

Link Copied to Clipboard