Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

I didn't mean to be so hard on Don Newton, I do like his art on many series and anthology stories, he's just not one of my all-time favorites. As we've discussed here before, he was perfectly suited to the SHAZAM stories, that had a long enjoyable run as a backup in WORLD'S FINEST, circa 1978-1982.
I know you're a fan of Newton's NEW GODS run. I think it's nice art, but it's just not the same characters for me as portrayed by Kirby and others. I saw the collected trade of NEW GODS BY GERRY CONWAY (with art by Newton) just came out. You bought it, and I might too, if I didn't already have the issues from when they came out.
Likewise Newton's art on BATMAN, DETECTIVE and a few issues of BRAVE AND THE BOLD. I actually filled the gaps in my collection of those issues just a few years ago. While initially, Newton's art (circa DETECTIVE 480-496 or so) was not compatible with the creature-of-the-night Batman, I think Newton's art on the series increasingly conformed to a Novick/Adams/Aparo look on Batman, but again, while his art is nice, to me Newton's art isn't quite the right fit on Batman the way Newton draws him.
Newton also did some fun anthology stories in books like HOUSE OF MYSTERY, TIME WARP, MYSTERY IN SPACE and other titles.

And you may not know it, but prior to the late 1970's Newton previously worked for Charleton, doing horror/mystery anthology stories, and a run for several years on THE PHANTOM, roughly issues 67-74

Newton got his start in the fanzines in the late 1960's, particularly nice are his covers for ROCKET'S BLAST COMIC COLLECTOR (RBCC), starting in 1968, and on through the 1970's, even when he was doing pro work. I recall when Newton's death was announced in 1984 of a heart attack at age 49, tragically way too young. But he was a prolific artist, who left a huge body of work to remember him by.

Likewise, Joe Staton is not one of my favorite artists, but on series he is suited for, I really enjoy his work, such as on E-MAN 1-10 from 1973-1975. He's also a good inker, and inked Sal Buscema on a run in INCREDIBLE HULK, circa 1975-1976. But when paired with a bad inker, or on series I don't think he is suited for, no, I don't like Staton's work. SUPERBOY/LEGION is one I don't think he was suited for.

I don't know if you're aware, but the NEW GODS were revived in 1st ISSUE SPECIAL 13 immediately after Kirby left DC in 1976, in a story by O'Neil and Vosburg.
A little over a year later, the series was revived in NEW GODS 12-19 by Conway and Newton. And then once cancelled, one last inventory story was published in the dollar-sized ADVENTURE COMICS 459 and 460 (there are other Newton and Staton stories in these issues too), if you missed them. Another casualty of the DC Implosion.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Gerry Conway, you have to admire his talent demonstrated at a very early age, and what a prolific wordsmith he was for many years, across a huge spectrum ot titles, both at Marvel and DC. This is a guy who created Man-Thing in 1971 at age 16, and by the time he was writing these NEW GODS stories at DC was still only in his mid-20's, and just a few years later was a very successful scriptwriter out in Hollywood on series like Father Dowling Mysteries, Law And Order, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent. He used comics as a springboard for many Law and Order episodes, with many murder victims given names like John Byrne, Roger Stern and Frank Miller, a playful ribbing of his writer/artist friends in the comics field. I especially liked one Criminal Intent episode (episode 78, "Collective") where a girl was a con woman who targeted rich nerds at comic conventions, to swindle them out of their collector valuables.

Writing this on another topic, and not wanting to further take G-man's other discussion even further off-topic, I thought I would move that offshoot discussion here to a new topic.

It occurred to me writing this, and looking at the profiles of many other comics creators in recent years, how many comics creators die young, and way before their time. Maybe the average of young deaths in the comics field is not that unusual or unique, as compared to other fields. I had several friends who died in high school, and a number of others who died in my college and early career years. But it just seems like comics creators might be more prone to death at a young age.
Perhaps because of the sedentary lifestyle of comics creators spending long hours sitting at a desk. Or also perhaps that what drew them to writing and art is they were bedridden at a young age, and developed their artistic talent while their peers were outside playing sports.
Another possibility is that until recently most comics artists were under-paid and struggling to survive, especially when their health declined in their later years. Others prone to alcoholism, or tormented and suicidal, as creative people are in many artistic fields. Names like Robert E. Howard, Sylvia Plath and Iris Chang come to mind.

Whatever the cause, I thought we could have a topic devoted to these talents, to let the affection for these creators and their work be expressed, way beyond their limited years.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Fine

Lou Fine, one of the earliest great talents in comics, died in 1971, at the age of 56.

From 1939 to 1943, Lou Fine did many breathtaking covers, and series work on The Flame, Doll Man, The Ray, and the Black Condor. Mostly for Quality Comics.

After that, Fine more profitably did ghost work for 3 or 4 years on THE SPIRIT newspaper strip, for Will Eisner. After which he left to do more lucrtive commercial art.

Before I ever knew he did mainstream comics, I'd unknowingly read some comic strip features he did for BOYS LIFE and HIGHLIGHTS magazines.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Another of my favorite Newton covers, from COMIC READER 186, Dec 1980.

I love the humor of a Newton Captain Marvel looking in the mirror, at his past image by C.C. Beck!

A Newton/Alcala tribute page from BATMAN 365, reminiscent of Bob Kane's classic DETECTIVE COMICS 31 cover.
I'm not generally a fan of Alcala's inks on Newton, but this is a particularly nice page.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Basically I like everything I’ve seen of Newton’s other than his Batman. It reminded me too much of Ernie Chan’s version for some reason. Given how good he was on Shazam and New Gods (which was so different than the original I tend to think of it more as an earth two version than anything else) I think it’s a shame they didn’t give him some more Superman work

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I like the Starman pic and the Detective Comics tribute cover. I think Newton was a little before my time. His work was probably something you old guys saw a lot of.
;\)

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Newton in the RBCC fanzine issues did a lot of tributes to Golden Age characters like Starman. I like the Flash Gordon pages and covers he did there too, maany suitable for framing.

A minor correction, I said that was a Newton cover, it was actually page 1 of the interior story. I corrected that in my above post as well, and here's the complete story online:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-365?id=18019

Like I partly said, Newton from about 1968-1978 did work for fanzines and for Charleton, and then became a prolific contributor to DC from late 1978 till his death in 1984.
He did work in BATMAN 305-306, 328, 331-332, 337-338, 346, 352-357, 360-372, and 374-379.
And most issues of DETECTIVE COMICS from 480-526, and 539.
And BRAVE AND THE BOLD 153, 156, and 165.
And TIME WARP 1-5, and then a few stories in the revived MYSTERY IN SPACE 111-117.
Plus "Shazam" backups in WORLD'S FINEST 253-270, and 272-281.
And a few other stories in scattered issues. But that alone is a lot of work in just 6 years.

And yeah, I'm definitely getting old, at age 57 now. I still think of the comics from the early/mid 1990's as "the new stuff".

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Basically I like everything I’ve seen of Newton’s other than his Batman. It reminded me too much of Ernie Chan’s version for some reason. Given how good he was on Shazam and New Gods (which was so different than the original I tend to think of it more as an earth two version than anything else) I think it’s a shame they didn’t give him some more Superman work

Maybe it's the frequent Alcala inks on Newton's BATMAN and DETECTIVE issues that reminds you of Chan, both having similar inking styles.

I never really thought of it before you said it, but the whimsical elements that made Newton so perfect on Shazam would make him a good choice to do a SUPERMAN run.
Newton did at least one issue of DC COMICS PRESENTS, so you can get a feel for what a Superman run by him would have been like.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/DC-Comics-Presents/Issue-54?id=55560#2

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Nice

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Bill Finger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Finger

Without whom there might not be a Batman, or at least not as we know him now. He contributed enormously to the forming of Batman, the Joker, and several decades of stories.

Living from 1917-1974, Finger died at the age of 59.

I recall reading that anytime in a Batman story you saw things like a giant typewriter, or a giant penny, those kind of visuals were a signature Bill Finger story element.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

And yeah, I'm definitely getting old, at age 57 now. I still think of the comics from the early/mid 1990's as "the new stuff".

I'm still waiting for those days to come back.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

Fuck off, Gerald.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Yeah, call me a grumpy old man, but I think comics peaked in the 1970-1985 period, with another peak of material by Alan Moore, Frank Miller, and others in 1986. There was still good stuff coming out from 1986-1992, but an increasingly low ratio of quality. In 1990-1995, I was buying maybe 6 to 8 titles regularly. And then for me, there was nothing left, it just became too much work and money to buy and read the few new books coming out that might turn out to be good.
After that, in disgust I stopped buying new books altogether. With brief periods every couple years where I'd buy new books again, and consistently be disappointed. More than disappointed, pissed off that I had paid money for this garbage.

I kept saying it was a temporary phase, that it would pass and there would be a return to great storytelling again. But it's 25 years now, and the new books still piss me off. Dark, pretentious, and just nothing new, constantly re-inventing what was already done better in a previous and more creative period.

If it weren't for back issues, and for collected hardcovers and trades of material from a better and more fun era, I would have lost interest in comics a long time ago.
Once in a while there's a Mignola HELLBOY, or an Aragones GROO, or a Joe Kubert ABRAHAM STONE, or a Craig Russell ELRIC, or a Ladronn HIP FLASK, or a Bud Root CAVEWOMAN, but mostly 30 straight years of disappointment.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Groo was awesome!

I tried Hellboy a few times and just couldn't get into it.

I haven't tried the others you mentioned.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
ABRAHAM STONE 1 and 2, by Joe Kubert, in standard comic size.
(There's also a third European-formatted 9" X 12" ABRAHAM STONE: COUNTRY MOUSE, CITY RAT issue by Kubert from another publisher)

ELRIC (Marvel Graphic Novel 2) by Craig Russell. Plus other work in EPIC ILLUSTRATED and later ELRIC series.

CAVEWOMAN: PANGAEAN SEA , begun in a PROLOGUE issue, and then 1-3, 0, and 4-11, by Budd Root. Frustratingly, the final issue 12 has been so long delayed that I wonder if it will ever be published. Artist Budd Root pretty much (since Dec 2009) only does covers on new releases these days (interior new CAVEWOMAN material done by other artists).

What I love about HELLBOY is foremost Mignola's art, but also the mixture of H.P Lovecraft-inspired horror and interdimensional demons, mixed with Golden Age pulp-hero elements, and incorporating real ghost stories, basically all the things Mignola himself loves. Hellboy is also quite funny at points, the character fights demons with the same annoyed reluctance that a plumber or carpenter would take on a dirty job. Add into the mix some fictionalized real-world characters like Rasputin and supernaturally re-animated World War II Nazis, it's unlike anything else being published. New stories by Mignola are fairly rare, maybe a 1 to 4-issue series once a year at most. I'm not a fan of the HELLBOY material scripted by Mignola but illustrated by others.
The first series in 1993 was HELLBOY:SEED OF DESTRUCTION 1-4, with "Monkeyman and O'Brien" backup stories by Arthur Adams.
The HELLBOY stories are mostly pretty self-contained, you can read a 1-issue or 2-issue or 4-issue story without having to know past continuity and becoming lost.
I first discovered HELLBOY right before the first movie was released in 2002, and finished reading the first 5 collected trades right before the first movie came out. So I was excited about the movie. And rare for comic-based movies, I thought both movies were very true to the comic version.

HIP FLASK was a very once-every-few-years kind of publication, by Jose Ladronn. I describe the art as like Jack Kirby pencils inked by Liberatore. Airbrushed and a sight to behold. The best of the bunch is the first issue, HIP FLASK: UNNATURAL SELECTION, that I re-read several times and thought was absolutely breathtaking.
The only problem is the issues were published so sporadically that Ladronn's art visibly evolved and changed from issue to issue, and therefore was a bit inconsistent. But interesting regardless. Each issue had several variant covers, and at least one nice (but overpriced) collected hardcover edition.

I was really into GROO for a long time, across GROO's many series and one-shots. GROO first appeared as a backup in DESTROYER DUCK 1, with some backups in STARSLAYER and EPIC ILLUSTRATED, before becoming a regular series for Pacific Comics for 7 issues, and when Pacific went bankrupt, one GROO SPECIAL from Eclipse. All this early material was collected in the 6-issue nicely formatted GROO CHRONICLES from Marvel/Epic in 1989.
Then there was a long 120-issue run for Marvel/Epic in a regular comics format. I had a girlfriend at the time (circa 1992-1993) who really enjoyed reading GROO, and with the moral at the end of each issue, we joked among ourselves that GROO was our religion, that we were "Grooists".
I followed GROO after it was cancelled by Epic, and started a new Image series in 1995, but thought the art declined a lot. I decided to stop buying with the 12th issue, and found out years later that the series was cancelled with issue 12 anyway.

After that, GROO is more of a sporadic occsasional one-shot or miniseries here and there, some I've seen, most I haven't. And also the two Graphic novels I have, THE LIFE OF GROO, and THE DEATH OF GROO.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

Fuck off, Gerald.

Epic post there,Stewie!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I was surprised when I looked at the BATMAN and DETECTIVE COMICS credits across the 1940's,1950's and 1960's (in the issues themselves they are uncredited, but in the modern era with indexes on comics.org and mycomicshop.com , you can see Bill Finger was scripting stories right up through the 1960's, when Gardner Fox, John Broome and Robert Kanigher, and then in 1968-1969 Frank Robbins and Dennis O'Neil took over scripting.

One revealed credit to Bill Finger that surprised me was the famous addition to the Joker's origin in "Man Behind the Red Hood" in DETECTIVE 168, Feb 1951.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Detective-Comics-1937/Issue-168?id=5240

Plus other new characters launched by Bill Finger, introducing Batwoman in DETECTIVE 233, July 1956.
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Detective-Comics-1937/Issue-233?id=5409
Plus intruduction of the 1950's Batgirl (way before the 1967 Barbara Gordon version).
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-139?id=17753#25
Along with Bathound, Batman II and Robin II (the next-generation Batman and Robin of the future),
Bat-mite, and a lot of spacefaring Batman adventures to other planets.
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-131?id=17745

And "Robin Dies At Dawn" in Batman 156, June 1963, on the stands about the time I was born!
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-156?id=17770#1

And "The First Batman", in DETECTIVE COMICS 235, Sept 1956:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Detective-Comics-1937/Issue-235?id=5414#1

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Courtesy of Wikipedia, regarding Bill Finger's struggle with Bob Kane, to get the slightest credit for developing Batman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Finger

SCREENWRITER

As a screenwriter, Finger wrote or co-wrote the films Death Comes to Planet Aytin, The Green Slime, and Track of the Moon Beast, and contributed scripts to the TV series' Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip.[9] He also cowrote a two-part episode "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes / The Clock King Gets Crowned", airing October 12–13, 1966, in season two of the live-action Batman TV series.[9][55] It was his first public credit for a Batman story.[56]

nono

While there were a lot of reprints of Bill Finger's comics stories on up into the mid and late 1970's in giant issues and LIMITED COLLECTORS' EDITION issues, the last new Bill Finger story I found was in BATMAN 177, Dec 1965.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-177?id=17791
So Bob Kane never gave Bill Finger ANY credit while Finger was still alive.

And the Batman TV episode by Finger was almost a year after Finger's last BATMAN comics story.

Finger died in January 1974, at age 59, and while there were many Bill Finger stories reprinted from 1965-1974, the first issue I saw finger given credit was BATMAN 241, May 1972.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-241?id=17855#34

Issue 242 also reprints a golden age Bill Finger story, but doesn't credit Finger, it just says "by Bob Kane".
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-242?id=17856#27

The next issue I saw crediting Finger as writer in reprinted stories is in BATMAN 255, March-April 1974, reprinting "The First Batman" story I linked above.

And BATMAN 256, May-June 1974 (on the stands probably the month he died) and in that issue there are 3 Bill Finger stories reprinted, but only two of them are credited to Finger! The uncredited third one is the last story, "The Secret of Batman Island".
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-256?id=17870

In DC's defense, the stories were originally uncredited, so it is possible that even the editorial staff reprinting these in the 1964-1980 period didn't know who the writers of the reprinted stories were. It's only over the last 25 years or so that credits of these stories have all been identified and thoroughly indexed.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

And "the First Batman", in DETECTIVE COMICS 235, Sept 1956:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Detective-Comics-1937/Issue-235?id=5414#1

That was cool. Thanks for the link.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

My pleasure. You're a bit younger than me, I first read that in a 100-page issue, BATMAN 255 in 1974. Which also had a fantastic Neal Adams werewolf story.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-255?id=17869

The giant penny story by Bill Finger, and the giant animatronic Tyrannasaurus Rex story also by Finger, both visible trophies for decades in the Batcave, are both reprinted in BATMAN 256.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-1940/Issue-256?id=17870#1

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Foil trading cards, too? I don't know what to do with the fuckers. I stick them inside the comics they came with.

Dave, have you seen the documentary on Bill finger? Its a little self-serving, but its good. Bob Kane sounds like a complete arse.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
Foil trading cards, too? I don't know what to do with the fuckers. I stick them inside the comics they came with.

Dave, have you seen the documentary on Bill finger? Its a little self-serving, but its good. Bob Kane sounds like a complete arse.

Yeah, G-man quoted some stuff here on Bob Kane a few years ago that made me aware of what a jerk he was, in his utter refusal to give any credit at all to Bill Finger, Jerry Robinson, Sheldon Moldoff, and other Batman collaborators.

I haven't heard about the Bill Finger documentary until you mentioned it, I'll have to look it up.

When I have trading cards in a comic (a mostly 1990's fad), I put a backing board on every comic, and so just put them behind the backing board, on the opposite side as the comic. That way when I take the comic in and out, I don't have the cards fall all over the place every time I take it out. A lot of the Topps comics have them, like the Kirby SECRET CITY SAGA and its crossovers, RAY BRADBURY COMICS, and some of the 1990's CAVEWOMAN issues and miniseries (in the latter case, they weren't part of the package, but when I ordered from Amryl directly, they threw them in as freebies, probably largely just to get rid of 'em!) I'm glad that fad came and went.
I did the same with the sealed polybags, I would neatly cut them open with scissors and then place the polybag behind the board, saving the polybags and cards so if I sell them later, I'll be giving them everything that was included, as close to mint as possible.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I was just looking at these two pages in STRANGE ADVENTURES 210 in 1968, reprinted from a 1946 issue of REAL FACT COMICS, by artist Virgil Finlay.

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Strange-Adventures-1950/Issue-210?id=47141#20

Like so many artists, Finlay began in pulp magazine illustration before doing Golden Age/pre-Code work in comics, and then more lucrative SF and Book illustration. I have two hardcover books of Finlay's illustrations. Beautiful and ornately detailed work, even his comics work.

But Finlay died rather young at age 56, in 1971.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Finlay

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Another contemporary of Virgil Finlay, artist and writer/poet Hannes Bok, also died very young in 1964, at the age of 49.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannes_Bok

While Bok did a wide spectrum of work, to my knowledge he didn't work in the comics field.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
A favorite artist of mine from the Golden Age/Pre-Code era is artist Matt Baker. He died in 1959 at the age of 37.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Baker_(artist)

But left behind a huge body of work in just 15 years. His professional comics career began in 1944.

I especially love his work for Fiction House on titles like :

JUNGLE COMICS
"Camilla" series in 69, 100-113, 115-116,
"Tiger Girl" series in 152-153, 155-157, 159.
"Wambi" series in 62-67, 74.

FIGHT COMICS
"Kayo Kirby" series in 43-64.
"Tiger Girl" series in 36-60, 62, 64

JUMBO COMICS (not yet available online)
"Sky Girl" series in 69-78, 80-130

WINGS COMICS
"Skull Squad" series in 52-60
"Clipper Kirk" series in 60-61

And PHANTOM LADY, for the publisher Fox (1947-1949)
13-23 (Not linked, but prominent in Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent. )

And his one issue of CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED
issue 32, LORNA DOONE Dec 1946, 46 pages!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
I was just looking at these two pages in STRANGE ADVENTURES 210 in 1968, reprinted from a 1946 issue of REAL FACT COMICS, by artist Virgil Finlay.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Strange-Adventures-1950/Issue-210?id=47141#20

Like so many artists, Finlay began in pulp magazine illustration before doing Golden Age/pre-Code work in comics, and then more lucrative SF and Book illustration. I have two hardcover books of Finlay's illustrations. Beautiful and ornately detailed work, even his comics work.

But Finlay died rather young at age 56, in 1971.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Finlay

Reprinted from REAL FACT COMICS 4, Sept-Oct 1946.
Finlay did work in REAL FACT COMICS 4-12.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Real-Fact-Comics/Issue-4?id=105500#18

Here is a list of the other work by Virgil Finlay in comics:
https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/finlay/sort/chrono/

Finlay is better known as an illustrator in pulp magazines and books going back to the 1930's work of Robert E. Howard and H P Lovecraft, but Finlay also did a fair amount of work in comics throughout the 1940's and 1950's. And from the pages I sampled, quite nice contributions, way above the norm in comics of that time.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Frank Chiaramonte (June 5 1942 - January 1983), age 40.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Chiaramonte

Who I know mostly as a 1970's/ early 1980's inker, at both Marvel and DC. The first I recall by him was inking Neal Adams on AMAZING ADVENTURES 18 in 1973 the first Killraven story,
pencils by Neal Adams (1-11) and Howard Chaykin (12-20), with Chiaramonte inks.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Amazing-Adventures-1970/Issue-18?id=88006

Also many issues of Claremont/Byrne's first regular Marvel series, IRON FIST (issues 2-7, and 9, in 1975-1976).
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Iron-Fist-1975/Issue-2?id=39869

And inking Ploog in MAN-THING 5-11.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Man-Thing-1974/Issue-5?id=84500

and GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING 1, Aug 1974.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Giant-Size-Man-Thing/Issue-1?id=86488#1

And the earliest Ghost Rider, Werewolf By Night, and Son of Satan stories stories in MARVEL SPOTLIGHT, and then in their own magazines.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Marvel-Spotlight-1971/Issue-6?id=54540

And INHUMANS 1, in 1975, one of the earliest Marvel series by George Perez. And also over Gil Kane on issue 6.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Inhumans-1975/Issue-1?id=15110

Among others. Enough to secure his page in comics history.

From about 1977 on, Chiaramonte settled over to DC and was a primarily a Superman inker, mostly on Curt Swan.

Here's a chronological checklist of Chiaramonte's work. He inked a surprising number of memorable stories from that period. Some I'd forgotten were several LEGION OF SUPERHEROES stories pencilled by Jim Janes between roughly 264-280, and inking some Don Newton "Shazam" stories from WORLD'S FINEST and ADVENTURE COMICS digest, a few Newton BATMAN and DETECTIVE stories, and an issue or two of Wofman/Perez NEW TEEN TITANS.
https://www.comics.org/inker/name/frank%20chiaramonte/sort/chrono/

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Back on the subject of Don Newton, I was just looking again at his THE PHANTOM issues from 1975-1977. I've looked back at them 3 or 4 times in the last month, and it's a nice little run, right before he came over to DC and began his run on NEW GODS 11-19 (concluded in ADVENTURE COMICS 459-460), and a few scattered short stories in HOUSE OF MYSTERY, TIME WARP, and others, before moving on to DETECTIVE COMICS (1978-1982), in BATMAN (1982-1984), and Shazam in WORLD'S FINEST 253-281 (1978-1982).

THE PHANTOM
67 "Triumph of Evil" Joe Gill story, 23 p Oct 1975
68 "The Beasts of Madame Kahn" Nicola Cuti story, 22p, Dec 1975
70 "Mystery of the Mali Ibex" Bill Pearson story, 22p, April 1976
71 "The Monster of Zanadar" John Clark story, 22p, July 1976
73 "He is called The Torch" Bill Pearson story (under acronym), 22p, Oct 1976.
74 "The Phantom of 1776" Newton story and art, 22p, Jan 1977

A great and varied 6-issue run. They're fun little self-contained stories, with beautiful art. These are the first I've seen where Newton did both pencils and inks. And even as compared to Newton inked by the likes of Rubinstein, Adkins, Giordano, Marcos and others as talented, Newton's work definitely gains a more decorative line when inking himself, as Newton did on all 6 of these issues.

[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

The painted cover for issue 74 is particularly nice, and I love the way Newton blends in his own "John Hancock" signature on the Declaration-styled cover, right next to John Hancock's "John Hancock", written in the same handwriting!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From the new generation of comics artists, Michael Turner (April 21, 1971 – June 27, 2008) . Age 37
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Turner_(comics)

I'm not so much of a fan of the new material after about 1990, but Turner's art and covers were beautiful.
Ending at age 37 was just way too soon.

[Linked Image from g-mart.com]

[Linked Image from d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
[Linked Image from stripaap.nl]
larger image at: https://starlogged.blogspot.com/2012/11/1978-marvel-comics-index-issue-7b.html

A contemporary of the Golden Age and Silver Age of comics artists, who died way too young, was Bill Everett (May 18, 1917 – February 27, 1973) , who died at the age of 55.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Everett

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

Everett was acclaimed and drawing comics at the beginning of the Golden Age, particularly for Timely/Marvel, co-creating Sub-Mariner in MARVEL COMICS in 1939 and continuing on the serieson into the 1940's.
I've also seen reprints of horror stories Everett did in the 1950's era.

Everett came back to Marvel in 1966-1967, regularly doing the Submariner feature in TALES TO ASTONISH.

And doing occasional beautiful fill-in inks over Kirby pencils during Kirby's THOR run, on issue 143, Aug 1966 (that Stan Lee included in ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS for his Thor chapter, over any of the 60 or so inked by Vince Colletta).
And Everett also later inked issues 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 and 176, in 1969-1970.

At the time I first began collecting comics, Everett did a backup pirate story in FEAR 10 (Oct 1972), "Spell of the Sea Witch" pencilled by Jack Katz and inked by Everett (credited with pirate-sounding pseudonyms of "Jay Hawk, and Black Bill"), an issue that is still a favorite of mine, a modestly great story.
And Everett was back illustrating and sometimes writing SUB-MARINER in his own series at the time of his death in 1973.

As Wikipedia cites:

Everett even returned to his enduring character, first inking Namor's adventures in Tales to Astonish #85–86, then taking over full artistic duties for issues #87–91 and #94, and penciling issues #95–96 [Nov 1966 - Oct 1967].
He then did complete stories – writing, penciling and inking – on SUB-MARINER #50–55 and 57 (June 1972 – Nov. 1972; Jan. 1973), with script assists by Mike Friedrich on two issues; and #58 (Feb. 1973), co-written with Steve Gerber and co-penciled with Sam Kweskin as his health began to deteriorate for the final time. He co-wrote and inked Sub-Mariner #59 (March 1973), plotted #60 (April 1973), and co-wrote, co-penciled (with fellow Golden Ager Win Mortimer), and co-inked #61 (May 1973).[14]
He had also been announced to draw an issue of Marvel Team-Up starring Spider-Man and the Sub-Mariner, but, according to one contemporaneous report, "was not able to finish this one before his death."[24]

Editor Roy Thomas explained on the letters page of Sub-Mariner #61,

• As you've no doubt noticed from the first three pages of this issue, Everett was back…and better than ever! And then, with only those three pages completed, [he] took ill. And, sad to say, it's the kind of illness that's going to keep him off Sub-Mariner (or any mag) for a month or two to come."[25]

Despite Thomas's optimistic tone, that would be Everett's last work on the series. His final efforts on the character he created were five pages of pencils, inked by fellow Golden Ager Fred Kida, that appeared posthumously in SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP issue 1 (Aug. 1975).[14]

Like Dave Cockrum, I actually think Bill Everett's nicest work was as an inker rather than as a penciller.
But in either category, Everett has secured a solid place in comics history.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From Bill Everett again, here is a story from TARGET COMICS 7 (July 1940) I jus ran across, the last story in the issue, "The Chameleon" that runs 6 pages.
https://viewcomiconline.com/target-comics-issue-7/

It reprints the last two pages of a Basil Wolverton story mixed in with it, but both are in order and easy to separate from each other, and both nicely illustrated.

I don' know how many "The Chamelion" stories ran as a series in TARGET COMICS, but I enjoyed this sample issue.
The Wolverton "Spacehawk" series ran in issues 5-34
I f found Bill Everett "Chameleon" stories in issues 7-9.
https://viewcomiconline.com/target-comics-issue-8/
https://viewcomiconline.com/target-comics-issue-9/

Everett also did the "Bullseye Bill" cowboy lead feature in issues 1 and 2.
https://viewcomiconline.com/target-comics-issue-1/
https://viewcomiconline.com/target-comics-issue-2/

Some Bill Everett pin-ups for a horror magazine:

from NIGHTMARE magazine 1, Dec 1970, published by Skywald
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Nightmare-1970/Issue-1?id=144051

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]
from NIGHTMARE magazine 2, Feb 1971
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Nightmare-1970/Issue-2?id=144064

Link Copied to Clipboard