Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
by draft post he means "lift the work of guys on another message board"

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
by draft post he means "lift the work of guys on another message board"

Exactly !

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to travel back in time a few years, so I can indulge in some more retroactive plagiarism !

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
pirate away, just dont expect any respect from us. im glad jack kirby died of AIDS before he seen what a mockery of his work you made.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

pirate away, just dont expect any respect from us. im glad jack kirby died of AIDS before he seen what a mockery of his work you made.

I thought the hooker stabbed Kirby before the AIDS could kill him.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
it wasnt a hooker, it was his black transvestite "friend"

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Beardguy57 said:
My fav Kirby era : Fantastic Four issues # 1 through #103.

His best work was from issues #37 or so to about #70.

Yeah, Kirby's FANTASTIC FOUR run, aside from building the Marvel universe, showed a range of different work from Kirby, as his style evolved over 10 years on FF, arguably the 10 years of his career where his art style changed the most drastically.

For me it's a little inconsistent as a series, from FF 1-102, because the art style and storytelling changes so much over that 10 years. Although I still enjoy it.
From Kirby's 60's Marvel era, sometimes I prefer Kirby's FF run, sometimes I prefer his JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY/THOR run. Both are filled to bursting with creativity.

FF issues 1-20 (mostly inked by Dick Ayers) are more modest and slow-moving. The first 10 issues are more in the vein of pre-Marvel monster stories.
Issue 11 is the first I consider to have a modern Marvel feel to its 2 stories.

FF 21-27 are diminished, art-wise, because of "George Bell" (a k a, George Roussous) inks. Although his inking additions to Kirby's art helped evolve the Thing's rock-like appearance, an addition that was not continued in Chic Stone's inks, in the issues after Bell's. Although Colletta and Sinnott later continued the rock-like additions.

FF 28-38 inked by Chic Stone evolve a bit more toward the fully developed FF look. I especially like the intro of Diablo (issue 30), with the creepy but decorative statues outside the entrance to his castle.

Stone's inks were much slicker, and more modern looking, but look a bit dated, compared to what came after. (Stone also inked FF ANNUAL 2, adding his magic to the memorable "Origin of Dr Doom" story.)

FF 39 was inked by "Frank Ray" (a k a, Frank Giacoia) and this is some of the cleanest inking by Giacoia I've seen. And while it was interesting to see Giacoia ink one issue, I'm glad he was never the regular inker on the series. The later fill-in issues Giacoia did during Joe Sinnot's inking run were much more loose and caricatured than this issue.

Another interesting thing in this issue (since this issue guest-features Daredevil) all the Daredevil figures are inked by Wally Wood (DD's regular artist at the time), which is reminiscent of the later Murphy Anderson-inked heads in Kirby's JIMMY OLSEN run (issues 135-148). I like when 2 inkers ink a book like this, and you can see the contrast between their 2 styles.

FF 40-43 were inked by Vince Colletta, who I think was in his inking prime, and turned in some nice pages on the series (and also inked FF ANNUAL 3, which presents the wedding of Reed and Sue Richards, attended by just about every character in the Marvel universe).

But both the cosmic level of storytelling, and the level of detail in Kirby's art, finally reached full fruition in FF 44, where Joe Sinnott began inking Kirby's pencils, giving us the half-speed, digitally mastered stereo-surround-sound
full-overdrive FF !

You draw the cut-off line for your favorite FF run at issue 70, Beardguy. And I think a lot of critics agree with you, that FF was slightly restrained in creativity after that, exploring already developed characters, revisiting new battles with Dr. Doom, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, Inhumans, etc.
But I actually enjoyed these later issues just as much.

But clearly, Kirby at this point ( FF 71-102, roughly 1967-1970) was holding back ideas, that would be fully realized in Kirby's Fourth World series (FOREVER PEOPLE, NEW GODS, MISTER MIRACLE and JIMMY OLSEN, from 1970-1974).

"This Man, This Wonder Boy..."

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I posted several images from a Lord of Light portfolio by Jack Kirby, back on page 1 of this topic.

Here's a link to the complete portfolio:

For my money, these are some of Kirby's most impressive pages. I've seen them described as both pre-production images for a movie based on Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light, and as Kirby concept drawings for a science fiction theme park.

Either way, it would have been wonderful to see these drawings fully realized in another form.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Those drawings of his are awesome! He is obviously influenced by Aztec and South and Central American art.
A bit of an African influence, as well.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Yeah, some of that Aztec influence came out later in the ETERNALS series Kirby did in 1976-1977. Those splash pages in ETERNALS 1 and 2 are just amazing.

I didn't pick up on the African influence till you mentioned it. Athough it's more obvious in Kirby's images of Wakanda, from the Black Panther intro in FANTASTIC FOUR 52 and 53.

Another artist with similar influences is Alcatena, an artist from Argentina, who first came to prominence inking Tim Truman on the 3-issue HAWKWORLD, and CONAN THE SAVAGE stories in the late 1980's.

I'd highly recommend looking up the MOVING FORTRESS and SUBTERRA trades (both published in the U.S. by Four Winds), that are a showcase for Alcatena's decorative statues, costumes and architecture. Although Alcatena's work, while partly Aztec influenced, seems much more far-eastern influenced.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
From what I've read, Kirby was an artistic sponge, constantly soaking up inspiration from EVERYthing.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Kirby absorbed inspiration, and he also inspired others with his talent.

life." - Tuvok.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
he also died fucking a horse.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
You'll die eating Britney Spears' shorts.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
no, you will.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
My fav Kirby era : Fantastic Four issues # 1 through #103.

His best work was from issues #37 or so to about #70.

Yeah, Kirby's FANTASTIC FOUR run, aside from building the Marvel universe, showed a range of different work from Kirby, as his style evolved over 10 years on FF, arguably the 10 years of his career where his art style changed the most drastically.

For me it's a little inconsistent as a series, from FF 1-102, because the art style and storytelling changes so much over that 10 years. Although I still enjoy it.
From Kirby's 60's Marvel era, sometimes I prefer Kirby's FF run, sometimes I prefer his JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY/THOR run. Both are filled to bursting with creativity.

FF issues 1-20 (mostly inked by Dick Ayers) are more modest and slow-moving. The first 10 issues are more in the vein of pre-Marvel monster stories.
Issue 11 is the first I consider to have a modern Marvel feel to its 2 stories.

FF 21-27 are diminished, art-wise, because of "George Bell" (a k a, George Roussous) inks. Although his inking additions to Kirby's art helped evolve the Thing's rock-like appearance, an addition that was not continued in Chic Stone's inks, in the issues after Bell's. Although Colletta and Sinnott later continued the rock-like additions.

FF 28-38 inked by Chic Stone evolve a bit more toward the fully developed FF look. I especially like the intro of Diablo (issue 30), with the creepy but decorative statues outside the entrance to his castle.

Stone's inks were much slicker, and more modern looking, but look a bit dated, compared to what came after. (Stone also inked FF ANNUAL 2, adding his magic to the memorable "Origin of Dr Doom" story.)

FF 39 was inked by "Frank Ray" (a k a, Frank Giacoia) and this is some of the cleanest inking by Giacoia I've seen. And while it was interesting to see Giacoia ink one issue, I'm glad he was never the regular inker on the series. The later fill-in issues Giacoia did during Joe Sinnot's inking run were much more loose and caricatured than this issue.

Another interesting thing in this issue (since this issue guest-features Daredevil) all the Daredevil figures are inked by Wally Wood (DD's regular artist at the time), which is reminiscent of the later Murphy Anderson-inked heads in Kirby's JIMMY OLSEN run (issues 135-148). I like when 2 inkers ink a book like this, and you can see the contrast between their 2 styles.

FF 40-43 were inked by Vince Colletta, who I think was in his inking prime, and turned in some nice pages on the series (and also inked FF ANNUAL 3, which presents the wedding of Reed and Sue Richards, attended by just about every character in the Marvel universe).

But both the cosmic level of storytelling, and the level of detail in Kirby's art, finally reached full fruition in FF 44, where Joe Sinnott began inking Kirby's pencils, giving us the half-speed, digitally mastered stereo-surround-sound
full-overdrive FF !

You draw the cut-off line for your favorite FF run at issue 70, Beardguy. And I think a lot of critics agree with you, that FF was slightly restrained in creativity after that, exploring already developed characters, revisiting new battles with Dr. Doom, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, Inhumans, etc.
But I actually enjoyed these later issues just as much.

But clearly, Kirby at this point ( FF 71-102, roughly 1967-1970) was holding back ideas, that would be fully realized in Kirby's Fourth World series (FOREVER PEOPLE, NEW GODS, MISTER MIRACLE and JIMMY OLSEN, from 1970-1974).

"This Man, This Wonder Boy..."

You blew the right note on that one, Dave! The FF's stories worked their way towards ACTUALLY being The World's Greatest Comic Magazine, as it said on the covers by about issue #39... and hit an all time high with the Inhumans - Galactus stories! Things went slowly downhill after that, with Johnny's whining, ( " Wahh! I miss Crystal!" ) Ben's " I'm a hideous monster! No one loves me!" ) Reeds' coldness to Sue ( In reality, Sue would have either left him and sued for a hefty alimony due to Reed's patents on all his inventions, or went off and had an affair with Daredevil!), and Sue's " I don't know how much longer my force field will last!" due to a fight with Galactus/The Hulk/ Blastaar whoever.

Then again, we all kinda expected those cliches, as they were part and parcel of the Silver Age. ( You commented yourself that my writing is very Silver Age.. and it is! This is where I was strongly influenced from.. The 1960's FF, Spiderman, Thor, Superman, Legion, JLA, and Avengers stories.

I was aware even as a kid about the differences each inker contributed to Jack's art.. I'm an artist, myself... and I agree - Joe Sinnott was the BEST inker for Jack's pencils!

life." - Tuvok.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

You blew the right note on that one, Dave!

I knew it! DTWB is fuckin beardguy!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Not likely, as I am attracted to big, burly, tall black men who are my age or older, or who are very close to my age.

life." - Tuvok.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
sure beardguy surrrre.....

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Well, my young sceptic......I could post pics here of me with some big black guys I have had relations with, but that is not my style.

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I listed this previously in the comic series that never happened topic, but felt it relative to mention here in the Kirby topic, about Kirby's adaptation of THE PRISONER tv series into comic book form in 1978, that was completed but never published.

SPIRIT WORLD # 1 and DAYS OF THE MOB # 1 were published in 1971. The second issues were cancelled and went unpublished, and the material for these two magazines were partly published elsewhere in the issues I listed in the other topic.

Quote:
Wonder Boy said:
 Quote:

----------------------------------------------
erdmann
posted August 01, 2002 01:11 PM
---------------------------------------------

In 1971, DC toyed with the idea of launching a line of glossy magazines. Among them were three Kirby titles "In the Days of the Mob," "True Divorce Cases" and a romance comic aimed at black readers.
Only one issue of "Mob" was published. For more information on the book, check out: http://twomorrows.com/16mob.html
Also under consideration was a magazine-format "House of Mystery" and a pulp-style "Batman."

In addition to DAYS OF THE MOB # 1, the other Kirby magazine released was SPIRIT WORLD # 1. At the bottom of page 1 of this topic, I detailed what happened to the stories produced for the second issue of each of these two titles.

As well as the unpublished SOUL LOVE romance magazine Kirby produced, which have only been partly published in the JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR fanzine, and the MASTERWORKS book I mentioned that has a sampling of unpublished Kirby pages, with a text restrospective of kirby's career up to 1978.

Quote:

And speaking of Kirby, he once worked on a "Prisoner" comic for Marvel after Steve Englehart and Gil Kane were bounced from the project. See: http://twomorrows.com/11prisoner.html

Kirby's 17-page THE PRISONER story (like the cancelled titles from the 1978 DC Implosion that were collected into a very limited 35 collected xeroxed copies and distributed as CANCELLED COMICS CAVALCADE vols 1 and 2, now widely bootlegged) is also available as a set of unauthorized xeroxes, that I've seen occasionally offered on e-bay and elsewhere.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Well, my young sceptic......I could post pics here of me with some big black guys I have had relations with, but that is not my style.

dave's not black! caught you in a lie!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Quote:
 Quote:
Beardguy57 said:

You blew the right note on that one, Dave!

I knew it! DTWB is fuckin beardguy!

Must you project your homosexual fantasies onto others?

Just because you're all hot for man-meat doesn't mean everyone else is.

Get the man love you need, BSAMS.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Get the man love you need, BSAMS.

while im flattered, i dont swing that way, maybe JJ will take you up on the offer!

Zzzzandman
500+ posts
Zzzzandman
500+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
What are you trying to imply by posting an image of a face stained by a white substance in this thread?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
It looks more to me like Mopius was eating Bleach again!

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Looking to replace some expired links, I found...

THIS

...giving many scanned pages from the compiled JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR trade of issues 10-12, along with a lot of Kirby original art. And especially nice, several versions of a Fighting American cover pencils by Kirby, before the later inked version by Simonson, plus versions that are black-and-white, color and reproduced from pencils. Plus Kirby pages, some unpublished, from STRANGE TALES (Nick Fury), ETERNALS, and THE PRISONER, among others.

Plus a tour of Kirby's home, with some photos of Kirby as well.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Also, something mind-blowing from Wikipedia's listing for Zelazny's Lord of Light, describing Kirby's work on the project :

• FILM VERSION

In 1979 it was announced that Lord of Light would be made into a 50 million dollar film. It was planned that the sets for the movie would be made permanent and become the core of a science fiction theme park to be built near Denver, Colorado. Famed comic-book artist Jack Kirby was even contracted to produce artwork for set design. However, due to legal problems the project was never completed.

Parts of the unmade film project, the script and Kirby's set designs, were subsequently acquired by the CIA as cover for an exfiltration team posing as Hollywood location scouts in Tehran in order to rescue six US diplomatic staff who escaped the Iranian hostage crisis by virtue of being outside the Embassy building at the time.
    [ CIA article on the covert operation ]

https://boingboing.net/2012/10/16/how-roger-zelaznys-lord-of-l.html

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I'm currently reading Fantastic Four Essential Book # 4. I had meant to but FF Masterworks books 7 thru 10, but I put it off, and now, I saw where it would be prohibitively expensive to buy those books! I shouldn't have waited!

But I did buy FF Essentials #4 and 5, and am currently enjoying the hell out of book #4! I'm about to start on FF issue # 68.

Kirby was way ahead of his time! His artwork, characters,
machines, contributions to storylines, and vehicles were as fresh and exciting and new in 1966 as Star Wars was in the summer of 1977!

This was the 1960's we're talking about... only a decade or so after the first truly visionary sci - fi movie had been released in theaters : " The Day The Earth Stood Still. "

Jack's art and Stan's stories seemed to pick up on that story telling style and advance it greatly forward.

The 60's were a wonderful era for comics! It was a creative explosion - the likes of which we're highly unlikely to ever see again.

And if anyone knows where I can get those four FF Masterworks books for a reasonable price, please do let me know!

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Yeah, Beardguy, they finally finished reprinting the last 4 volumes of the Lee/Kirby/Sinnott run, so Kirby's entire run from issues 1-102 are now available in hardcover.
(I have issues 1-60 in hardcover, and have some hardcover buying to do as well)

In addition, there's also an omnibus 2-volume hardcover set that collects the entire Lee/Kirby FF run in two unruly and huge hardcover volumes. (I'm not really interested in this version, but others might be.)

I'm even more excited about the KAMANDI vol 2 hardcover just out, reprinting issues 11-20 of Kirby's 40-issue run. KAMANDI, as I've said often, is one of my all-time favorite series.

One reason I haven't purchased these sooner is I have most of these issues in their original form. But it's great to see the widescreen digitally-remastered versions.

Although sometimes (such as with the heavily redrawn Neal Adams, BATMAN, DEADMAN, and GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW hardcovers) a new printing and altered art and coloring can be disappointing.

But the Kirby FF stuff looks exceptional, enhanced by faithful coloring and better printing, and on glossy paper. And I think you often get more for your money with the Marvel Masterworks volumes.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Thanks, Dave! I just might get those last 4 FF Masterworks books now!

I saw book #7 on Amazon, and they wanted $248.00 for it!

life." - Tuvok.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Nice of them to reprint Kamandi, like that story a lot. Have it in an anthology title of translated US comics. I should read all those issues.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I am continuing the '' Jack Kirby is a Shitty artist. " thread in here.

I'm NOT going to buy FF Masterworks books 7,8,9, & 10.

After reading the Essential books, which reprinted FF issues 64 thru 110, I remembered how both story and art quality had gone downhill during that period.... having the Essentials is good enough.

The best era for the FF ended with the Galactus saga, the first one. After that, it was a slow decline. I feel that it was also due to the decay of the relationship between Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.

life." - Tuvok.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Why continue a thread about Kirby being shitty in a thread about him being great and more or less re-posting comments you made in the previously mentioned thread?Now if the other thread was locked & you couldn't post in it,I'd understand but this doesn't make sense to me at all......not that most of what you post does but I was just wondering.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

allan1 said:
Why continue a thread about Kirby being shitty in a thread about him being great and more or less re-posting comments you made in the previously mentioned thread?Now if the other thread was locked & you couldn't post in it,I'd understand but this doesn't make sense to me at all......not that most of what you post does but I was just wondering.

At this point, both threads have become interchangable; there are those who posted in here how much they hate Jack, and some who've posted his praises in here, too.

Same goes for the " Shitty Kirby " thread, LoL!

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I can see where Beardguy views them as interchangeable.

While this topic's been mostly pure appreciation and nostalgia for Kirby's work, a few have said here in this topic they don't like or see what the big deal is about Kirby. And that's fine, not everyone has to like his work.

But the focus of the other topic...

...has been, to paraphrase in less vulgar language: "Is Kirby really that great? Is he worthy of his 'King of comics' reputation?" Which I answered with the rest.

So I do see a distinction between the two topics.

This one is more for reflecting back on personal favorites of Kirby's work, and new editions that keep his legacy alive, and portfolio work by Kirby, and discussing tributes by other artists, such as the Levitz/Giffen darkness saga in LEGION, or Simonson's ORION series, or new Marvel Masterworks editions. Or discussing nostalgically the various eras of Kirby's career, and enthusiastically remembering one's favorite work by Kirby, or other aspects of his career, personal life, its impact on his work, and anecdotes about Kirby or having met him.

The other topic by Karl Hungus (or Ray Adler) is about what makes someone worthy of being called the field's greatest artist, and whether Kirby fits the criteria to be called that. Which is more about contrasting Kirby with other artists, in the greater context of comics history. It's a bit less reverent, and a bit more critical of Kirby's work.

Both topics have their individual merits, and a degree of crossover.

But I like the two being separate.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

allan1 said:

At this point, both threads have become interchangable; there are those who posted in here how much they hate Jack, and some who've posted his praises in here, too.

Same goes for the " Shitty Kirby " thread, LoL!

So in other words,you like to go both ways.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Booooooooooooooobs.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
no. he's srticly male ass cracks.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Bit like Kirby then!

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Until Galactus sodomized him and made him his bitch.All dowhill from there.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Booooooooooooooobs.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard