[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
A VERY KLINGON KHRISTMAS

Quote:
This hilarious parody firmly plants Klingons at the center of the Christmas story—where they rightly should be—including everything from a Santa equipped with retractable claws, tribbles in the stockings of naughty Klingon boys and girls, and the spirited holiday warmth of a hot cup of mulled blood wine. Illustrated in a classic Norman Rockwell–inspired style, A Very Klingon Khristmas is the perfect holiday gift for every Star Trek fan!

I especially loved this customer review:

Quote:

Seared Into My Klingon Heart
By Adam Burkard on October 29, 2013

I was so inspired by this book that I killed all of my enemies in glorious battle immediately after reading it! Admittedly, a tear was brought to my eye when the baby Kahless was given his first D'ktahg and the prophecy was foretold that he would be the one to vanquish Molor and unify the empire. Further in, I was flooded with memories of Khristmases long ago, when my father stuffed my stocking with toys taken from his slain enemies for being an honorable child while my brother was locked in his room with a stocking stuffed with a tribble and a morsel of bread for running away from a fight earlier that year. Ah, to be a young warrior again. !Qa'Pla!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Not sure if I posted this one before but...

very fun with lots of heart.

Fair play!
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Is that Moon Knight skiing in the background?

There was a Batman story where the evil Dr Tzin Tzin stole Christmas! Quite beastly. Jim Aparo Batman's jaw had dropped in mindnumbing horror. Thankfully the Star of David lit up the sky.

Oh, and a Batman//Plastic Man Brave and Bold story with excellent Jose Luis Garcia Lopez art where King Faraday is zapped by the Parasite dressed as a mugger Santa... hang on. Wasn't Plastic Man dressed as Santa? Maybe I'm getting them muddled. More booze over here.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
That is actually a character called Doorman. The group is basically a version of the Legion of Substitute Heroes Marvel style. They had been the Great Lakes Avengers but had to switch their name because the Avengers threatened to sue them.

I fondly remember that Plastic Man team up and yes he was dressed up as Santa. At that time in his history he had a tough time finding work because of his criminal history. The letter column back than for the Brave and the Bold received letters about a wealthy Batman/Bruce Wayne flipping a couple of coins at Plas and wishing him a merry Christmas. It didn't bother me at the time because I just figured Plas with his powers would find something.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Actually, the only place Plas had trouble finding work was in B&B. For some reason Bob Haney always depicted plastic man as a down on his luck superhero even when he was portrayed as happy-go-lucky and successful in other DC books. It's another example of how Bob Haney stories were always WTF moments in bronze age DC continuity

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
That is actually a character called Doorman. The group is basically a version of the Legion of Substitute Heroes Marvel style. They had been the Great Lakes Avengers but had to switch their name because the Avengers threatened to sue them.

I fondly remember that Plastic Man team up and yes he was dressed up as Santa. At that time in his history he had a tough time finding work because of his criminal history. The letter column back than for the Brave and the Bold received letters about a wealthy Batman/Bruce Wayne flipping a couple of coins at Plas and wishing him a merry Christmas. It didn't bother me at the time because I just figured Plas with his powers would find something.

That's right -I remember that. Wayne Enterprises must have had a cash flow problem.

G-man - you're right: it was very much out of theme for Plastic Man's usually goofy storied with Woozy Winks.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From HOUSE OF MYSTERY 191, a great little three-pager from Wein and Wrightson, that has a perfect blend of grim reality of the world we live in, mixed with a charming twist of humor and Christmas magic.

The complete story here, for your viewing pleasure.
Done about 6 months before Wein and Wrightson got their first bit of acclaim with their HOUSE OF SECRETS 92 "Swamp Thing" short story, followed a year later when they became industry grandmasters with their award-winning 10-issue SWAMP THING run.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34 (2/1983) Stories with a humorously bizarre look at Christmas.
"Son of Santa" by Mark Gruenwald and Paul Kupperberg,
"Howard the Duck's Christmas" by Steven Grant and Paul Smith (a very funny take-off on the movie It's a Wonderful Life, with some of the nicest Paul Smith pages I've seen),
"Slaybells" by Mike Carlin, and
"Santa Bites the Big Apple" by Al Milgrom.
This is one of my favorite Christmas comics.

I just re-read this one a few days ago. I love how Howard the Duck, like George Bailey, was going to commit suicide, and an angel showed him what the lives of those around him would be like if Howard had never been born. Everyone's lives turned out better without him!
\:lol\:
A less reverent collection of Christmas stories than other books listed, but a great one.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I also love this page from X-MEN 143, with Kitty Pride holding mistletoe over Peter's head and kissing him, making Peter blush.

The scene of the couple getting a Christmas tree is a nice holiday scene too, up until, y'know, they get eaten by aliens.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I'm also a big fan of the Biblical movie-epics from the late 1950's and early 1960's, including:

The Robe
Ben Hur
Spartacus
The King of Kings

and
The Ten Commandments

Great movies, one and all. And all great Biblical representations, to get back to the roots of what the season is all about.

Hollywood classics I try to watch again, whenever possible. Especially during the Christmas season.

I'm watching Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life right now on USA, I got up a little early and it happened to be on. I looked in the guide, a little later today on TCM, they have The Robe (11 AM), Ben Hur (1 PM), King of Kings (5 PM) and later in the day some of my other Christmas favorites and Capra classics, Mr Deeds Goes To Town (8 PM) and Meet John Doe (3:30 AM) and later Mr Smith Goes To Washington (8 AM Monday).

That's one heck of a Christmas marathon. And except for It's A Wonderful Life, all commercial free and unedited, if you have the opportunity to watch or DVR them.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Comic-book wise, I'd like to highlight "The Seal-Men's War on Santa Claus", written by Michael Fleisher, with art by Jack Kirby and Mike Royer, among Kirby's last 1970's jobs for DC.
Highlighted not because it's such an exceptional story, but because it's one that went on such a long and struggled path to finally be published.

Kirby did issues 1, 4, 5 and 6 of a SANDMAN series in 1974-1975. "The Seal Men's War on Santa Claus" was to be the 7th issue of the series, but was cancelled before ever being published.

In 1978, it was re-packaged with a 5-page framing sequence to appear in KAMANDI 61, but the "DC Implosion" prevented its publication for a second time.
Although it was published on a very limited basis as Xerox copies of the original art in CANCELLED COMIC CAVALCADE, issue 2 (late 1978), at less than 100 copies, and only for copyright protection reasons.

It finally saw print in some form in BEST OF DC BLUE RIBBON DIGEST 22, March 1982 ("Christmas With the Superheroes") in color, but in a smaller digest size with less than great print quality.

Finally in 2013 it saw print in decent form in the JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS volume 2 hardcover, packed in with a lot of other scattered 70's Kirby material, including the rest of the 70's SANDMAN Kirby issues.

Basically, the seal-men declare war on Santa Claus because he brought the sealmen (a civilization Santa had previously been friendly with) the wrong presents, that they couldn't use because of their flipper-paws, and that really ticked them off! Peace is made after the misunderstanding is cleared up and the proper presents are delivered. Pleasant silliness, in the Kirby tradition.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Given the heat of the political divide this year, I guess it was inevitable:

HOW THE TRUMP STOLE CHRISTMAS,
written and illustrated by Brian Denham, from Antarctic Press.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
This morning I woke up about 6 AM, and watched one of my favorites on TCM, Meet John Joe (1940) starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck.

And caught the latter half of Santa Claus is Coming To Town on another channel from 9 to 9:30. I love Burgermeister Meisterburger, the mayor who outlaws Santa Claus!

I looked him up to see who does the voice for the character, because he sounds familiar, with a very distinctive voice. An actor/voice actor named Paul Frees.

Some of the other films and shows he voices in:
  • Knight Rider (TV Series)
    K.A.R.R.
    - K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R. (1984) ... K.A.R.R. (voice, uncredited)

Wonder Woman (TV Series)
    Prologue Narrator / Franklin D. Roosevelt
    - The New Original Wonder Woman (1975) ... Prologue Narrator / Franklin D. Roosevelt (voice, uncredited)

Hawaii Five-O (TV Series)
    McGarrett Imposter / Goro Shibata
    - The Ninety-Second War: Part I (1972) ... McGarrett Imposter (voice, uncredited)
    - Odd Man In (1971) ... Goro Shibata (voice, uncredited

Jackson 5ive (TV Series)
    Various Characters / Mr. Carruthers
    - The Winner's Circle (1971) ... Various Characters (voice)
    - Bongo, Baby, Bongo (1971) ... Various Characters (voice)
    - Mistaken Identity (1971) ... Various Characters (voice)
    - Drafted (1971) ... Various Characters (voice)
    - Pinestock, U.S.A. (1971) ... Mr. Carruthers (voice)

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    Singer of 'The Darktown Strutters' Ball' (voice, uncredited)

Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
    Ending Voiceover (voice, uncredited)

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
    Colossus (voice, uncredited)

Patton (1970)
    Voice (voice, uncredited)

Frosty the Snowman (TV Short, 1969)
    Santa Claus / Traffic Cop / Additional Voices (voice)

The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (TV Series)
    Evil Vangore / Sazoom
    - Banana Splits Show # 3/A Trap for Turhan/A Letter of Peril/Danger Island 5/Danger Island 6 (1969) ... Evil Vangore / Sazoom (voice)
    - Banana Splits Show # 8/Isle of Treachery/The Pirate Adventure/Danger Island 15/Danger Island 16 (1968) ... Evil Vangore / Sazoom (voice)
    - Banana Splits Show # 5/The Wizard Ramnizar/The Plot of the Puppetmaster/Danger Island 9/Danger Island 10 (1968) ... Evil Vangore / Sazoom (voice)
    - Banana Splits Show # 4/The Great Gold Robbery/The Ring/Danger Island 7/Danger Island 8 (1968) ... Evil Vangore / Sazoom (voice)
    - Banana Splits Show # 2/The Ransom/The Jewel of India/Danger Island 3/Danger Island 4 (1968) ... Evil Vangore / Sazoom (voice)

The Pink Panther Show (TV Series)
    Man talking to Pink Panther / Texan Hunter / Pink Panther
    - Pinkfinger (1969) ... Man talking to Pink Panther (voice)
    - Sink Pink (1969) ... Texan Hunter / Pink Panther (voice)

The Little Drummer Boy (TV Short, 1968)
    Aaron's Father, the Magi (voice)

In Cold Blood (1967)
    Radio Announcer / Officer Asking for Rap Sheet (voice, uncredited)

The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show (TV Series)
    Morocco Mole / Chief Double Q / Squiddly Diddly (1967-1968) (voice)

Mr. Terrific (TV Series)
    Narrator
    - The Sultan Has Five Wives (1967) ... Narrator (uncredited)
    - Stanley Joins the Circus (1967) ... Narrator (uncredited)
    - Try This on for Spies (1967) ... Narrator (uncredited)
    - Stanley the Track Star (1967) ... Narrator (uncredited)
    - Stanley Goes to the Dentist (1967) ... Narrator (uncredited)

Get Smart (TV Series)
    Greenstreet Character / Lorre Character
    - Casablanca (1966) ... Greenstreet Character / Lorre Character (voice, uncredited)

I Dream of Jeannie (TV Series)
    Narrator
    - Guess What Happened on the Way to the Moon? (1965) ... Narrator (voice, uncredited)
    - My Hero? (1965) ... Narrator (voice, uncredited)

1965 The Secret Squirrel Show (TV Series)
    Squiddly Diddly / Morocco Mole / Double Q / ...
    - Sub Swiper/Way Out Squiddly/Prince of a Pup (1965) ... Squiddly Diddly / Morocco Mole / Double Q / ... (voice)

Mary Poppins (1964)
    Barnyard Horse (voice, uncredited)

The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964)
    Crusty (voice)

Krazy Kat (TV Series)
    Ignatz Mouse / Officer Pupp / Charcoal Grey / ...
    - Adman on the Loose (1963) ... Ignatz Mouse / Charcoal Grey / Mr. Loco / ... (voice, uncredited)
    - Krazy and the Krooked Kaper (1963) ... Ignatz Mouse / Officer Pupp / Krooked Kat / ... (voice, uncredited)
    - The Desert Island (1963) ... Ignatz Mouse / Officer Pupp (voice, uncredited)
    - Series-ous Business (1963) ... Ignatz Mouse / Officer Pupp (voice, uncredited)
    - Bungle in the Jungle (1963) ... Ignatz Mouse / Officer Pupp (voice, uncredited)

Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (TV Movie, 1962)
    Stage Director / Charity Man / Fezziwig / ... (voice)

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
    Narrator (voice, uncredited)

Top Cat (TV Series)
    Various voices / Iron Man Muldoon / Tony
    - Dibble's Double (1962) ... Various voices (voice)
    - Dibble Breaks the Record (1962) ... Iron Man Muldoon (voice)
    - The Con Men (1962) ... Tony (voice)
    - All That Jazz (1961) ... Various voices (voice)
    - The Maharajah of Pookajee (1961) ... (voice)

The Flintstones (TV Series)
    TV Announcer / Mr. Rockenschpeel / Mr. Bedrock / ...
    - The Happy Household (1962) ... Mr. Rockenschpeel / Mr. Bedrock / TV Announcer (voice)
    - The Babysitters (1960) ... Mr. Granite / TV Announcer (voice)

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962)
    Resistance Driver (voice, uncredited)

The Dudley Do-Right Show (TV Series)
    Inspector Nathaniel Fenwick / Narrator #1
    - The Disloyal Canadians/Finding Gold/Stokey the Bear (1961) ... Inspector Nathaniel Fenwick / Narrator #1 (voice)

101 Dalmatians (1961)
    Dirty Dawson (voice, uncredited)

1959-1961 Rocky and His Friends (TV Series)
    Boris Badenov / Inspector Fenwick / Captain Peachfuzz / ...
    - When Moose Meets Moose, or Two's a Crowd/The Midnight Chew-Chew, or This Gum for Hire (1961) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - Hop Skip and Junk, or Bullwinkle's Big Tow/Bucks for Boris, or The Green Paper Caper (1961) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - Many a Thousand Gone, or The Haul of Fame/Down to Earth, or Me and My Shatter (1961) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - Underwater Eyeball or The Deep Blue See/Underwater Moose or The Aqua-lunk (1961) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - Boris Makes His Move or The Mice Man Cometh/Big Cheese Boris or I'd Rather Be Rat (1961) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Window Pains or The Moosetrap/Doorway to Danger or Doom in the Room (1961) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Knock on Wood or Bullwinkle Takes the Rap/A Knock for the Rock or The Lamp Is Low (1961) ... Inspector Fenwick (voice)
    - Metal-Eating Mice/Bullwinkle Bites Back! or Nothing But the Tooth (1961) ... Peter Cooper (voice)
    - Battle of the Giants or It Takes Two to Tangle/Bye Bye Boris or Farewell My Ugly (1961) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - The Squirrel Next Door or High Neighbor/The Spell Binders or Hex Marks the Spot (1961) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - Verse and Worse or Crime Without Rhyme/Truck Drivers in the Sky or Follow the Fleet (1960) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - The Big Blast or A Many Splintered Thing/The Steal Hour or A Snitch in Time (1960) ... Boris Badenov / Captain Peachfuzz / Cloyd / ... (voice)
    - The Cliff Hanger or Taken for Granite/Supersonic Boom or The Old Mount's A-Moverin (1960) ... Boris Badenov / Capt. Peachfuzz (voice)
    - Jet Jockey Rocky or The One Point Landing/Plots and Plans or Too Many Crooks (1960) ... Boris Badenov / Capt. Peachfuzz (voice)
    - Bullwinkle's Rise or This Goon for Hire/Boris Bites Back or A Rebel without a Pause (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Rocky and the Rock or Braver and Boulder/Mountain Mover or Boris Sneaks a Peak (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Missing Mountain or Peek-A-Boo Peak/Go Down Moses or The Fall Guy (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Train on the Plain or The Overland Express/Danger in the Desert or Max Attacks (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Sourdough Squirrel or Hardrock Rocky/A Creep at the Switch or Sudden Pacific (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - You've Got a Secret or Out of Sight - Out of Mine/Boris and the Blade or Sheik, Rattle and Roll (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Boy Bounders or Plane Punchy/A Peek at the Peak or Your Climb is My Climb (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Burning Sands or The Big Hot Foot/Death in the Desert or A Place in the Sun (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Crash Drive or Oedipus Wrecks/Fender Benders or The Asphalt Bungle (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Road to Ruin or Mine Over Matter/Two Flying Ghosts or High Spirits (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Upsidaisium/Big Bomb at Frostbite Falls or The Exploding Metropolis (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Water on the Brain or the Deep Six and 7/8/Bullwinkle Goes to Press or All the Moose That's Fit to Print (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Ground Floor or That's Me All Over!/Fools Afloat or All the Drips at Sea (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Down to Earth or the Bullwinkle Bounce/Fall Story or Adrift in the Lift (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Give 'Em the Works or Rocky Around the Clock/Crime on My Hands or Hickory Dickory Drop (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Calaboose Moose or The Crime of Your Life/When a Felon Needs a Friend or Pantomime Quisling (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Box Top Robbery/A Fault in the Vault or Banks a Million (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Bullwinkle Makes a Hit or I Get a Bang Out of You/Three on an Island or Tell It to the Maroons (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Inspector-Detector or A Kick in the Plants/Canoes Who? or Look Before You Leak (1960) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Bars and Stripes Forever/Hello Out There! or There's No Place Like Space (1959) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Rocky's Dilemma or A Squirrel in a Stew/The Submarine Squirrel or 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea (1959) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - The Scrooched Moose/Monitored Moose or The Carbon Copy-Cats (1959) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Bullseye Bullwinkle or Destination Moose/Squeeze Play or Invitation to the Trance (1959) ... Boris Badenov (voice)
    - Jet Fuel Formula/Bullwinkle's Ride or Goodbye, Dollink (1959) ... Boris Badenov (voice)

The Dick Tracy Show (TV Series)
    Go Go Gomez / Heap O'Calorie / B.B. Eyes / ...
    - The Medicine Show Case (1961) ... Go Go Gomez / Flattop / B.B. Eyes (voice, uncredited)
    - The Gold Grabbers (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - The Fixed Stare Case (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - The Castle Caper (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - The Camera Caper (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - The Big Punch (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - Gang Town (1961) ... Go Go Gomez / B.B. Eyes / Flattop (voice, uncredited)
    - The Elevator Lift (1961) ... Flattop / B.B. Eyes (voice, uncredited)
    - Stamp Scamp (1961) ... B.B. Eyes (voice, uncredited)
    - Lighthouse Creepers (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - Horse Race Chase (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited)
    - Gym Jam (1961) ... Flattop (voice, uncredited)
    - Wheeling and Stealing (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Tick Tock Shock (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Penny Ante Caper (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Tanks a Heap (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Rogue's Gallery (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Gruesome Twosome (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Cheater Gunsmoke (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Surprised Package (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie / Tony (voice, uncredited)
    - A Case for Alarm (1961) ... Go Go Gomez / Flattop / B.B. Eyes (voice, uncredited)
    - Tacos Tangle (1961) ... Go Go Gomez / B.B. Eyes / Presidente (voice, uncredited)
    - Scrambled Yeggs (1961) ... Heap O'Calorie (voice, uncredited)
    - Hotel Havoc (1961) ... Go Go Gomez (voice, uncredited

Where the Boys Are (1960)
    Narrator (voice, uncredited)

My Three Sons (TV Series)
    Announcer
    - Countdown (1960) ... Announcer (voice, uncredited)

Spartacus (1960)
    Caius (voice, uncredited)

The Time Machine (1960)
    Talking Rings (voice, uncredited)

The Untouchables (TV Series)
    Radio Voice / Public Address Voice / Franklin D. Roosevelt
    - The Unhired Assassin: Part 2 (1960) ... Radio Voice / Public Address Voice / Franklin D. Roosevelt (voice, unconfirmed)

Mister Magoo (TV Series)
    Police Officer / Col. Bottomley / Director / ...
    - Who's Zoo Magoo? (1960) ... Fred the Shoemaker / Butler / Police Officer (voice, uncredited)
    - Skipper Magoo (1960) ... Col. Bottomley (voice, uncredited)
    - Private Eye Magoo (1960) ... Radio Announcer / Masked Bandit / Police Officer (voice, uncredited)
    - Muscles Magoo (1960) ... Marvin Muscles / Carnival Barker (voice, uncredited)
    - Magoo's Western Exposure (1960) ... Blackie Bart / The Masked Hombre / Hotfoot (voice, uncredited)
    - Cyrano Magoo (1960) ... Cyrano de Bergerac (voice, uncredited)
    - Yachtsman Magoo (1960) ... Yachtsman / Captain / Col. Bottomley (voice, uncredited)
    - Magoo and the Medium (1960) ... Assistant / Police Officer (voice, uncredited)
    - The Vacuum Caper (1960) ... Big Jack (voice, uncredited)
    - Double Trouble Double Trouble (1960) ... Director (voice, uncredited)
    - Maestro Magoo (1960) ... Prof. Von Schtooker (voice, uncredited)
    - Tycoonland (1960) ... Director (voice, uncredited)
    - Dangerous Dan Magoo (1960) ... Narrator / Big Ben (voice, uncredited)

The Best of Mr. Peabody & Sherman (TV Series)
    - Benjamin Franklin/Pancho Villa/Christopher Columbus (1959) ... (voice)

Some Like It Hot (1959)
    Funeral Director / Speakeasy Waiter (voice, uncredited)

The Shaggy Dog (1959)
    Narrator / J.W. Galvin, Psychiatrist (uncredited)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (TV Series)
    Off-Screen Announcer / Train Station Announcer / Swanson / ...
    - The Crooked Road (1958) ... Off-Screen Announcer (voice, uncredited)
    - The Manacled (1957) ... Train Station Announcer (voice, uncredited)
    - De Mortuis (1956) ... Swanson (voice, uncredited)
    - Fog Closing In (1956) ... Mary's Father (voice, uncredited)
    - Momentum (1956) ... Radio Announcer (uncredited)

A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)
    Several Characters (voice, uncredited)

The Brothers Karamazov (1958)
    Innkeeper (voice, uncredited) (This was also William Shatner's first film)

Dragnet (TV Series)
    - The Big Dip (1957)
    - The Big Fall Guy (1956)

The Woody Woodpecker Show (TV Series)
    Wally Walrus (1953-1961) / Charlie / Doc (voice)

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)
    Alien (voice, uncredited)

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
    Unidentified Character (voice, uncredited)

Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
    Voice (English version, voice, uncredited)

The Thing from Another World (1951)
    Dr. Vorhees (uncredited)

When Worlds Collide (1951)
    Narrator / U.S. President (voice, uncredited)

and:

• In the early 1970s, he was reportedly making $50,000 a year just for doing the voice work of the Pillsbury Doughboy.

His early radio career was cut short when he was drafted into World War II. He was at Normandy on D-Day. He was wounded in action and was returned to the United States for a year of recuperation.

He attended the Chouinard Art Institute under the G.I. Bill. His first wife's failing health forced him to drop out and return to radio work.

It was common for voice artists to do multiple roles when dubbing foreign-language films into English. There are a number of examples in which he also did multiple roles when replacing the dialogue (looping) in Hollywood films.

He became so experienced at doing multiple characters on radio shows that in 1948 he was given his own show, "The Player" in which he would do all of the characters.

Provides multiple voices in Flight from Ashiya (1964), getting into three- and four-way conversations with himself.

Is heard as at least four different voices in Spartacus (1960), including the guard whom Kirk Douglas hamstrung in the opening sequence.

He is the Ghost Host or narrator at the Haunted Mansion Attraction at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

A very familiar voice indeed!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From the MARVEL CHRISTMAS MAGAZINE (2010), this recycled the beautiful wraparound cover for the 1993 MARVEL HOLIDAY SPECIAL by Arthur Adams.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

ARCHIE CHRISTMAS CLASSICS, a collection of Archie Christmas stories, from days of Christmas past.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

A Dave Sim CEREBUS Christmas card.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

A great Golden Age Christmas cover, from CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES 19, Jan 1943.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Courtesy of the http://www.12comic.com online free library of comics, here's BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34, from Christmas 1982. My favorite Howard the Duck story, a great parody of It's A Wonderful Life, where a guardian angel prevents Howard the Duck from commiting suicide, and shows him all the people whose lives were changed because they knew Howard, and rather than improved from knowing him, every one of their lives would have been better without him!

http://www.12comic.com/issue.jsp?p=21&id=190227065607d860

All the other stories were good too, but for me that's the best of the bunch.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Courtesy of the http://www.12comic.com online free library of comics, here's BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34, from Christmas 1982. My favorite Howard the Duck story, a great parody of It's A Wonderful Life, where a guardian angel prevents Howard the Duck from commiting suicide, and shows him all the people whose lives were changed because they knew Howard, and rather than improved from knowing him, every one of their lives would have been better without him!

http://www.12comic.com/issue.jsp?p=21&id=190227065607d860

Loved that issue. The Mike Carlin story was great too.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Yeah, the BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34 collection of Christmas stories is a great collection all the way through, one of my favorites.

Along with the COMICO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL, presenting four more science-fictional mostly future Christmas stories.

I also have a great fondness for many of the DC Christmas stories, that either first appeared or were reprinted in the CHRISTMAS WITH THE SUPERHEROES collections.
And in DC SPECIAL SERIES 21, particularly the O'Neil/Miller Batman one.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Back in season again...

GUMBY'S WINTER FUN SPECIAL , published in 1988 !
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Gumby-s-Winter-Fun-Special/Full?id=164451#1

There was also a previous 1987 issue, GUMBY'S SUMMER FUN SPECIAL, both written by FLAMING CARROT writer Bob Burden, with nice art by Arthur Adams.

This was pretty early on in Arthur Adams' career. The first thing I saw by Adams were some pin-ups in 1984 in the back pages of a 4-issue Ditko reprint series titled DOCTOR STRANGE CLASSICS. And technically his first published work, ALIEN WORLDS 3-D issue 1 (and only) in July 1984, one of Pacific's last published issues.
Arthur Adams' first regular series that rocketed him to stardom was a six-issue LONGSHOT series, whimsically scripted by Ann Nocenti.
Then Adams did some incredible work on a crossover in X-MEN ANNUAL 9 and NEW MUTANTS SPECIAL 1 in 1985. And Adams did 3 or 4 subsequent X-MEN ANNUAL issues after that.

And on the heels of that, Adams did these two GUMBY specials in 1987 and 1988. With these dozen or so issues alone, pretty much cementing his place in comics history.

In this case, one you can pull out at Christmastime to enjoy again.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Merry Christmas to everyone.

Here's a 3-page story by Wein and Wrightson from HOUSE OF MYSTERY 191, cover-dated March-April 1971
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/House-of-Mystery-1951/Issue-191?id=70722#28

Perhaps more relevant in 2020 than when it was first published.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You’ve probably already covered the Legion from that 80’s special where Superboy has them look for the Christmas star but it’s one of my favorites with great Garcia Lopez artwork and an optimistic story where even though they didn’t get what they wanted they saved several races on a doomed planet. It touches on the Legion’s different religions and spiritual beliefs too.

Fair play!
1 member likes this: the G-man
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
And Merry Christmas everyone

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Somehow I picture you dressed like Tiny Tim when you said that, M E M !

Originally Posted by Matter-eater Man
You’ve probably already covered the Legion from that 80’s special where Superboy has them look for the Christmas star but it’s one of my favorites with great Garcia Lopez artwork and an optimistic story where even though they didn’t get what they wanted they saved several races on a doomed planet. It touches on the Legion’s different religions and spiritual beliefs too.

The one from the DC SPECIAL SERIES 21 Christmas Special?
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/DC-Special-Series/Issue-21?id=62929

I liked that special best for the Dennis O'Neil/Frank Miller Batman story, I love that story.

The Legion one was also reprinted in the 1988 CHRISTMAS WITH THE SUPERHEROES special. Reprinting several great DC Christmas stories, all credited on the first page.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Christmas-With-the-Super-Heroes/Issue-1?id=88097#2

The Levitz Legion story is good too, I'm amazed how many writers doing these Christmas stories, across many issues, showed remarkable maturity in discussing life situations and religion at such a young age in these stories.
Wein and Wrightson were about 21 when they did the above linked HOUSE OF MYSTERY 191 story in 1971.
I think Levitz was about 25 when he did the Legion story you mentioned in Dec 1979. Before Levitz started working as an assistant editor and writer for DC (starting in 1973 or 1974) he was already owner and manager of THE COMIC READER fanzine for about 5 years, while he was still in high school ! These guys were all remarkably talented and ambitious, and most of them started working professionally in comics writing stories when they were still in high school.
Jim Shooter turned pro when he was only 13 !
THE COMIC READER was the most prominent comic news publication in the 1970's, and then kind of went the way of the brontosaurus when THE COMICS JOURNAL (1977) and AMAZING HEROES (1981) came along.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy

[Linked Image from milehighcomics.com]

BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34, from Christmas 1982. My favorite Howard the Duck story, a great parody of It's A Wonderful Life, where a guardian angel prevents Howard the Duck from commiting suicide, and shows him all the people whose lives were changed because they knew Howard, and rather than improved from knowing him, every one of their lives would have been better without him!

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Bizarre-Adventures/Issue-34?id=105107

Updated with new working link, where you can read the whole issue.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

GUMBY'S WINTER FUN SPECIAL
Here for your Christmas reading pleasure, by writer Steve Purcell and artist Arthur Adams. Another favorite of mine, where everyone's favorite claymation friend teams up with Santa Claus and helps him save Christmas. Taken to the bowels of Hell, no less !

For those not already in the know, there was a previous GUMBY'S SUMMER FUN SPECIAL by Bob Burden and Arthur Adams.
At least as fun and quirky as anything Bob Burden did in his FLAMING CARROT series.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Originally Posted by THE Franta
Click here [link expired]

Franta's hilarious easily-aroused and front-heavy snowman.
It expired, so I searched for a replacement link of the same GIF :
https://media.tenor.com/images/fa9b2ef463fc6f17e84ea37b0be3776a/tenor.gif

Too funny to not bring back.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/How-the-Grinch-Stole-Christmas/Full?id=192135#1

The original Dr. Seuss book (1957), published almost 10 years before the 1966 annual television special. I saw a hardcopy in a store a year or two pre-Covid, it was selling for 35 or 40 dollars.
Great to see the original version.
Interesting to know that the "Dr. Seuss" author was neither an actual doctor, and that despite a lifetime of writing children's books, he never had any children.

The animated special was directed by Fritz Freleng, who also did many of the Bugs Bunny and Road Runner cartoons, and shares the same intelligent and sophisticated comedic timing. And was voiced by Boris Karloff.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Comic-book wise, I'd like to highlight "The Seal-Men's War on Santa Claus", written by Michael Fleisher, with art by Jack Kirby and Mike Royer, among Kirby's last 1970's jobs for DC.
Highlighted not because it's such an exceptional story, but because it's one that went on such a long and struggled path to finally be published.

Kirby did issues 1, 4, 5 and 6 of a SANDMAN series in 1974-1975. "The Seal Men's War on Santa Claus" was to be the 7th issue of the series, but was cancelled before ever being published.

In 1978, it was re-packaged with a 5-page framing sequence to appear in KAMANDI 61, but the "DC Implosion" prevented its publication for a second time.
Although it was published on a very limited basis as Xerox copies of the original art in CANCELLED COMIC CAVALCADE, issue 2 (late 1978), at less than 100 copies, and only for copyright protection reasons.

It finally saw print in some form in BEST OF DC BLUE RIBBON DIGEST 22, March 1982 ("Christmas With the Superheroes") in color, but in a smaller digest size with less than great print quality.

Finally in 2013 it saw print in decent form in the JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS volume 2 hardcover, packed in with a lot of other scattered 70's Kirby material, including the rest of the 70's SANDMAN Kirby issues.
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Basically, the seal-men declare war on Santa Claus because he brought the sealmen (a civilization Santa had previously been friendly with) the wrong presents, that they couldn't use because of their flipper-paws, and that really ticked them off! Peace is made after the misunderstanding is cleared up and the proper presents are delivered. Pleasant silliness, in the Kirby tradition.

Here's the same Kirby "The Seal Men's War on Santa Claus" story from BEST OF DC 22, only with the full collection of accompanying stories, and on larger pages that are easier to navigate.
https://viewcomiconline.com/the-best-of-dc-issue-22/

Along with several other Christmas classics, from the Golden Age forward
https://www.comics.org/issue/36154/

1. "A Swingin Christmas Carol" by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy 23p, from TEEN TITANS 13, Jan-Feb 1968
2. "Merry Christmas" by Dennis O'Neil, and Novick/Giordano 6p, from BATMAN 247, Feb 1973
3. "Freddy Freeman's Christmas" by Bill Woolfolk and Bud Thompson 8p, from CAPTAIN MARVEL JR. 46, Feb 1947.
4. "A Christmas Peril" by Don Cameron and Jerry Robinson 12p, from BATMAN 27, Feb-Mer 1945.
5. "The Seal Men's War On Santa Claus" by Michael Fleisher and Jack Kirby/ Mike Royer 18p, r CANCELLED COMIC CAVALCADE 2, Fall 1978
6. "Robin's (Very) White Christmas" by Rozakis and Delbo/Colletta 9p, from BATMAN FAMILY 4, Mar-Apr 1976
7. "The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus" by Wein and Dillin / Giordano 20p, from JLA 110, Mar-Apr 1974.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

GUMBY'S WINTER FUN SPECIAL
Here for your Christmas reading pleasure, by writer Steve Purcell and artist Arthur Adams. Another favorite of mine, where everyone's favorite claymation friend teams up with Santa Claus and helps him save Christmas. Taken to the bowels of Hell, no less !

For those not already in the know, there was a previous GUMBY'S SUMMER FUN SPECIAL by Bob Burden and Arthur Adams.
At least as fun and quirky as anything Bob Burden did in his FLAMING CARROT series.

A link to a more accessible scanned version, with less pop-up ads:
https://viewcomiconline.com/gumbys-winter-fun-special-full/

I love Arthur Adams' work, and it meshes perfectly with Gumby. So much fun.

And here's the GUMBY SUMMER FUN SPECIAL too :
https://viewcomiconline.com/gumby-s-summer-fun-special-full/

And Bob Burden's other work, on FLAMING CARROT :
https://viewcomiconline.com/search/?key=flaming+carrot

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34, from Christmas 1982. My favorite Howard the Duck story, a great parody of It's A Wonderful Life, where a guardian angel prevents Howard the Duck from commiting suicide, and shows him all the people whose lives were changed because they knew Howard, and rather than improved from knowing him, every one of their lives would have been better without him!

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Bizarre-Adventures/Issue-34?id=105107

Again, the previous links work, but here's another site that has less ads and for me is more easy to navigate:

BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34
https://viewcomiconline.com/bizarre-adventures-issue-34/

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Some old favorites, with links to read them online (and reprinted stories indexed by clicking on the issue number).

Courtesy of Arthur Adams, the GUMBY'S WINTER FUN SPECIAL
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Gumby-s-Winter-Fun-Special/Full?id=164451

And several different CHRISTMAS WITH THE SUPERHEROES collections.

From LIMITED COLLECTORS' EDITION
34 (Dec 1974) https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Limited-Collectors-Edition/Issue-34?id=101167
43 (Dec 1975) https://viewcomiconline.com/limited-collectors-edition-issue-43/

BEST OF DC DIGEST
22 (Dec 1982) https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/The-Best-of-DC/Issue-22?id=104216

and comic-size CHRISTMAS WITH THE SUPERHEROES
1 (Dec 1988) https://viewcomiconline.com/christmas-with-the-super-heroes-1/

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

[Linked Image from comicspriceguide.com]

Another I love for its modest traditional Christmas scenes, in X-MEN 143, the very last issue of the Claremont Byrne/Austin run (Dec 1980, cover-dated March 1981).
With basically a Christmas Eve at home, X-Men style.
A nice couple out in the wilderness selecting and cuting down a Christmas tree to take home (before bad stuff begins to happen), and Kitty Pride taking Peter Rasputin by surprise under the mistletoe, among other scenes.

https://viewcomiconline.com/uncanny-x-men-1963-issue-143/

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Another great:
ENEMY ACE:WAR IDYLL, written and painted by George Pratt. I'm thinking in particular of the scene between Allied and German troops along the trenches on Christmas Eve.

An excellent story, in any season. Originally released in hardcover in 1990, in trade in 1991.
Although it has since been re-released.

full book online at:
https://viewcomiconline.com/enemy-ace-war-idyll-tpb/

Because of the high cover price ($24.95 in hardcover, $14.95 in paperback) I doubt it got a large audience when it came out.
But it certainly deserves reader acclaim. Great story, with beautiful painted art. I purchased it in both hc and tpb form.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
And on the ligher side, but no less good...

ANT-MAN'S BIG CHRISTMAS special is another one I'd highly recommend, by Bob Gale and Phil Winslade, originally published in 1999.

It's a loosely traditional Christmas story with a lot of humor, depicting a mix of pleasant holiday festivities with the family, and also of tolerating annoying inconsiderate people, and what you'd really like to say, if you weren't trying so hard to be polite. And superhero mischief in the form of pranks.

Aside from JLA #60, it's the best Christmas comics story of the recent past.

https://viewcomiconline.com/ant-mans-big-christmas/

https://viewcomiconline.com/jla-060/

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard