Page 1 of 2 1 2
#867959 2007-09-12 7:07 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Mike Grell interview, from COMIC BOOK ARTIST # 8

Grell remains one of my favorites from the 70's, particularly on SUPERBOY/LEGION 202-224, WARLORD 1-50, GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW 90-110, BATMAN FAMILY 1, DETECTIVE COMICS 455

And his later independent work on STARSLAYER 1-6, JON SABLE FREELANCE 1-43, and JAMES BOND: PERMISSION TO DIE 1-3 (that perfectly captures the Bond movies).

Some of his nicest art was in GREEN ARROW:THE LONG BOW HUNTERS 1-3, although I didn't really care for the story. Others raved about it, though.
Few other writer/artists have such a fluid narrative style, letting the story tell itself visually, with an economy of prose, the way Grell does. His layouts and rendering remain striking and beautiful. And he draws some of the sexiest women in comics.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Now that Jim Shooter is back on the Legion, it would be cool to see Grell drawing the issues.. Dave Cockrum would be my first choice, but he is dead, dammit.

Anyone but Giffen.. he would just end up killing Karate Kid again.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Grell's one of the all-time greats.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy57
Now that Jim Shooter is back on the Legion, it would be cool to see Grell drawing the issues.. Dave Cockrum would be my first choice, but he is dead, dammit.

Regardless of Giffen's ill will toward KarateKid (he actually killed him twice!), he's still one of the best artists to work on Legion, and contributed toward plotting some of the best stories as well (LEGION 285-306)

But alas, Giffen's art isn't what it used to be, and hasn't been for 20 years. While Grell remains pretty consistent with his former work.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I'd also highly recommend the WARLORD: THE SAVAGE EMPIRE trade, collecting the first 12 WARLORD stories by Grell, with nicer printing.

While the art is good from the beginning, it's nice to see how his style developed in small but great ways during the years he did this series (1975-1981).

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

Regardless of Giffen's ill will toward KarateKid (he actually killed him twice!), he's still one of the best artists to work on Legion, and contributed toward plotting some of the best stories as well (LEGION 285-306)

But alas, Giffen's art isn't what it used to be, and hasn't been for 20 years. While Grell remains pretty consistent with his former work.

I never cared for Paul Levitz. He wrote the Legion so that the members were flat and had almost no personalities.

I've always wanted to see character driven stories.. like the ones Jim Shooter wrote between 1966 - 1970. He actually gave the Legion personalities!

My all time favorite Legion artist? Curt Swan. He drew them during the 60's and made them look damn good.

life." - Tuvok.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Giffen's nine panel a page legion was my favorite. I might read legion again if they would take Supergirl off the name.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I never cared for Paul Levitz. He wrote the Legion so that the members were flat and had almost no personalities.

I've always wanted to see character driven stories.. like the ones Jim Shooter wrote between 1966 - 1970. He actually gave the Legion personalities!

My all time favorite Legion artist? Curt Swan. He drew them during the 60's and made them look damn good.

Well, there we differ in opinion.

In 285-306, I thought Levitz added a lot to Collossal Boy, Chameleon Boy, Saturn Girl, Light Lass, Timberwolf, Blok, Dawnstar, Starboy, Dream Girl and many others. Levitz and Giffen together were the first to bridge both a visualcontinuity and story continuity with Legion's earliest adventures, and did several stories that cohesively reviewed their origins and earliest adventures (specifically issues 296-297, and 306).

I loved the personal drama and humor of Legion's interaction during these years.

I would agree with you though, that Levitz's earlier run from about 225-250 was pretty lame. The much heralded "Earth War" I thought really sucked, despite some good art by Nasser, Sherman, McLeod, Rubenstein, Wiacek and others.
And I'd also agree with you that issues (2nd series) 307-325, and (3rd series) 1-5 toward the end of the Levitz/Giffen run were less than inspired.

But the later issues by Levitz with Steve Lightle (third series, issues 7-13) and with Greg Larocque (issues 14-47) were good runs as well, and not until Giffen re-entered on the latter issues of the third series did the stories turn dark and decline.

I share your affection for the Cockrum and Grell issues(SUPERBOY 197-224), Beardguy. I'll always have a great affection for those runs, because that's where I started reading.
But I actually think Legion hit it's greatest peak in the Levitz/Giffen years on issues 285-306. But we're talking about entertainment, so there no science to it, that's just my individual preference.

While I enjoy a lot of the ADVENTURE COMICS run by Shooter and others, I felt the art diminished those issues. It would have been nice to see a Swan/Anderson run on the series. Swan's art on Legion is, I think, pretty rushed, and far below the heights he scaled on his SUPERMAN run in the early 70's.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Love Mike Grell's Jon Sable and Green Arrow.

Have started to read The Warlord which went as back-up in the translated Batman comic here during the late 1970's. Exciting and with a nice Edgar Rice Burroughs-feeling, with a (minor) error in the first story: Even if the supersonic Lookheed Blackbird stealth aircraft would have an outdated magnetic compass (which would fail when flying over either of the poles), it would still have an inertial navigation system (INS). If I had been an American during the 70's, I would have mailed to the comic's letter column about that.

Last edited by Captain Sweden; 2007-09-14 5:38 PM. Reason: I like letter columns

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm surprised that Grell would have made that in error, given he was an air force vet. I suspect he just "tweaked" things for the sake of this story.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

Well, there we differ in opinion.

In 285-306, I thought Levitz added a lot to Collossal Boy, Chameleon Boy, Saturn Girl, Light Lass, Timberwolf, Blok, Dawnstar, Starboy, Dream Girl and many others. Levitz and Giffen together were the first to bridge both a visual and story continuity with Legion's earliest adventures, and did several stories that cohesively reviewed their origins and earliest adventures (specifically issues 296-297, and 306).

I loved the personal drama and humor of Legion's interaction during these years.

I would agree with you though, that Levitz's earlier run from about 225-250 was pretty lame. The much heralded "Earth War" I thought really sucked, despite some good art by Nasser, Sherman, McLeod, Rubenstein, Wiacek and others.
And I'd also agree with you that issues (2nd series) 307-325, and (3rd series) 1-5 toward the end of the Levitz/Giffen run were less than inspired.

But the later issues by Levitz with Steve Lightle (third series, issues 7-13) and with Greg Larocque (issues 14-47) were good runs as well, and not until Giffen re-entered on the latter issues of the third series did the stories turn dark and decline.

I share your affection for the Cockrum and Grell issues, Beardguy. I'll always have a great affection for those runs, because that's where I started reading. But I actually think Legion hit it's greatest peak in the Levitz/Giffen years on issues 285-306. But we're talking about entertainment, so there no science to it, that's just my individual preference.

While I enjoy a lot of the ADVENTURE COMICS run by Shooter and others, I felt the art diminished those issues. It would have been nice to see a Swan/Anderson run on the series. Swan's art on Legion is, I think, pretty rushed, and far below the heights he scaled on his SUPERMAN run in the early 70's.

I would have to agree with you that Levitz did expand the personalities of the LSH members you mentioned; I just feel that another writer could have done it better... and written more interesting story lines.

I am a die hard Legion fan, though, Wonder Boy .. and I did read nearly all Legion issues Levitz wrote.. I just did not enjoy them as much as say, the issues just preceding Levitz' return : 368 - through 380.. the " Ultraboy is missing " saga..

Roy Thomas write the LSH but only very briefly.. wish he'd stayed on a bit longer. Having written many 1960's Avengers issues. he was used to using several characters per issue.

John Buscema drew many of those old Avengers issues.. he, too, has died.. I can only imagine how great a Legion with his artwork and Shooter's writing might have been.

life." - Tuvok.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
I'm surprised that Grell would have made that in error, given he was an air force vet. I suspect he just "tweaked" things for the sake of this story.

Probably you're right. It was easier to get away with such things in the past...

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't think I ever ran into anyone who didn't like Levitz on the Legion. Of course since there wasn't a real regular writer for the series after his first stint on the title I suppose he doesn't have much competion for that era of the Legion. It would have been fun seeing what Thomas would have gone with the title beyond one storyline. The whole Reflecto thing seemed drawn out though.

There was a Legion Outpost book published a couple of years ago that interviewed everyone that had worked on the title worth getting if your a fan. From my recollection Grell pushed for more black characters to appear in the book. It might seem a bizarre notion these days that would be a problem but apparently he ran into resistence. One character in a story was actually switched to caucasion. He didn't care for the "all the black people live on an island" concept behind Tryoc & gave him a stupid costume. Personally I liked the costume & thought Tryoc had some pretty strong voice powers. He also designed Dawnstar's costume which I also really liked.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy

I would have to agree with you that Levitz did expand the personalities of the LSH members you mentioned; I just feel that another writer could have done it better... and written more interesting story lines.

I am a die hard Legion fan, though, Wonder Boy .. and I did read nearly all Legion issues Levitz wrote.. I just did not enjoy them as much as say, the issues just preceding Levitz' return : 368 - through 380.. the " Ultraboy is missing " saga..

Roy Thomas wrote the LSH but only very briefly.. wish he'd stayed on a bit longer. Having written many 1960's Avengers issues. he was used to using several characters per issue.

John Buscema drew many of those old Avengers issues.. he, too, has died.. I can only imagine how great a Legion with his artwork and Shooter's writing might have been.

Well, don't get me wrong, I like the Shooter-era stories too (ADVENTURE 346-380, and ACTION 378-384, combined running from 1966-1970).

There was a charming innocence to those stories, of teen legionnaires having fun space-faring adventures in a near-utopian future.
A far cry from the dark war-torn apocalyptic future of the "five year gap" storyline (fourth series, issues 1-61), despite a few enjoyable elements, like the SW-6 young teen clones of the early Legion, meeting their adult counterparts.

The Swan art is actually pretty nice in many of these issues. I especially like the Swan/Klein art team. They worked together on ADVENTURE 293, 340, 342-345, 346-347, 349-357, 359-360, and 365-368 (spanning 1962-1968).

And also Legion stories in:
SUPERBOY 98 (7/1962)
and
JIMMY OLSEN 72 (10/1963)

Swan is, for my money, the best Superman artist, with the single possible exception of Neal Adams.

I liked Swan's collaboration with Alan Moore, in SUPERMAN 423 and ACTION 583. The small collected trade of it, SUPERMAN: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW, has photos of Swan, editor Schwartz, and Byrne together at a convention. It was a great conclusion to 30 years of Swan's run on the Superman line of titles.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I don't think I ever ran into anyone who didn't like Levitz on the Legion. Of course since there wasn't a real regular writer for the series after his first stint on the title I suppose he doesn't have much competion for that era of the Legion. It would have been fun seeing what Thomas would have gone with the title beyond one storyline. The whole Reflecto thing seemed drawn out though.

There was a Legion Outpost book published a couple of years ago that interviewed everyone that had worked on the title worth getting if your a fan. From my recollection Grell pushed for more black characters to appear in the book. It might seem a bizarre notion these days that would be a problem but apparently he ran into resistence. One character in a story was actually switched to caucasion. He didn't care for the "all the black people live on an island" concept behind Tryoc & gave him a stupid costume. Personally I liked the costume & thought Tryoc had some pretty strong voice powers. He also designed Dawnstar's costume which I also really liked.

Thanks for the suggestion, MEM. Was that a Two Morrows book? If so, I missed it.

I dug up a letter about Tyroc, on the introduction of the new Invisible Kid (Jacques Foccart, a french-speaking African black character) in LEGION ANNUAL 1 (1982), and commenting on it.

The letter appeared in LEGION 297 (3/1983), with Levitz's response:

• Dear DC Folks,
    Not too long ago, I read an interview with Paul Levitz, where he confessed his hatred for the Tyroc character, supposedly because of the origin.
    Paul Levitz said that racial problems are a "thing of the past". I guess he thought to himself that it would best be forgotten. I can understand that, and while we're forgetting human tragedies, let's forget the Holocaust too, Okay?
    Anyway, Paul went on to say that he might use Tyroc "only to kill him". Luckily he moved off the strip and Tyroc was left alive. Well, Paul came back and put Tyroc away by putting him permanently out of phase. But the stories have been very good.
    Now comes LEGION ANNUAL # 1, and what do we get?
    A French-speaking black teenager who can turn invisible. WOW. Somehow I should have expected this from Paul. I doubt Jacques Foccart will see much action, but I'll keep looking and hoping.
    You know, when black models are used in the big deal department store catalogs, they like for them to present themselves as foreign because they are more exotic and less offensive than us American Blacks.
    Thanks Paul.
    --A. Goodwin, Brooklyn, NY

Actually, my quote in that interview was to say that by the thirtieth century I believe racial problems will be a thing of the past, and that certainly includes the Holocaust.
    If not, I rather doubt there ever will be a thirtieth century.
    For that reason, I found Tyroc's origin (as a character who came from an island of blacks who had formed a separatist state to avoid prejudice) anachronistic.
    Jacques Foccart was introduced not for the sake of his color, but as a hopefully interesting character, with a French accent because of his origin on the Ivory Coast of Africa, where the French have taken great pains to help their language live on.
    An "American Black" (quotes because in the 30th century our stories presume America is no longer a distinct political or social boundary) would speak Interlac exactly as the other Legionnaires do, so the accent was added for an extra touch --without my being aware of the particular example of prejudice you mention existing in the modeling industry.
    You have seen Jacques in considerable action in previous issues, and more will follow... as well as more presence of other ethnic groups in the 30th century stories, something I admit we've neglected from time to time, not from prejudice but from preoccupation with our existing characters. I hope you'll keep reading. --P.L.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah it was a Two Morrows book. I believe there is another JSA one coming out soon that covers the All Star Squadron & Infinity Inc. stuff btw.

I hope it didn't look like I was implying that Grell was facing resistence from Levitz on the race stuff. Grell was vague in the interview & the Tryoc stuff he talked about all happened before Levitz came on board.

I remember being dissapointed at first with the new Invisible Kid. It just seemed like a lame power for the 30th century. Levitz used him to good effect though & I had the impression that he was a favorite along with the White Witch & Element Lad.

Fair play!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
The Legion needs a powerful black hero. Maybe Starboy could gain steller energy powers like Starman had. He'd be a heavy hitter and they should give him a strong personality, too.

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Yeah it was a Two Morrows book. I believe there is another JSA one coming out soon that covers the All Star Squadron & Infinity Inc. stuff btw.

Thanks, M E M.

I hope it didn't look like I was implying that Grell was facing resistence from Levitz on the race stuff. Grell was vague in the interview & the [Tyroc] stuff he talked about all happened before Levitz came on board.

Not at all. I got the impression you meant at the editorial level, from DC. And Levitz was just a freelance writer and editorial assistant at that point (1976), a grunt in the DC army. Even among DC management, I think it was more about what they thought would or wouldn't sell, or what they thought would thin readership, that made them resistant to minority characters in those days.

I remember being dissapointed at first with the new Invisible Kid. It just seemed like a lame power for the 30th century. Levitz used him to good effect though & I had the impression that he was a favorite along with the White Witch & Element Lad.

Yeah, I was unsure of him myself, but Jacques Foccart grew on me, and developed nicely during the Darkness Saga (290-294) and especially in issues 298-299.

I also liked the developments with Chameleon Boy, Timberwolf and Blok, Colossal Boy and Shrinking Violet (from 287-305). Plus other developments in those issues with Braniac 5 and Supergirl, Cosmic Boy and Night Girl (especially 296-297), and others. There was character development, mixed with a lot of playful humor.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I though Tyroc was an interesting character. But I have to agree that his origin left something to be desired, insofar as it postulated that, in the 30th Century, the world was SO segregated that all black people lived on an island someplace. Not exactly a rosey future for race relations that.

Of course, on the other hand, I suppose its sadly possible that people might decide one day to self-segregate. Look at the places today where African Americans have demanded "black dormitories" and "black schools". Not to mention whites that would only too gladly give them to them (sometimes whether they want them or not).

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I can't remember who actually was the writer for the story where Tryoc leaves the Legion & Marzaal (?) goes to another dimension but it reveals that the island was founded by survivors of a slave ship from the 1700s or so. The island was like Brigadoon appearing in our universe only so long before dissapearing. It was a nice way of explaining how this society could exist in a future where the human race was getting along fine with aliens.

Fair play!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
There was a Deep Space Nine episode where Dax fell in love with a guy who was on a planet that only reappeared in our dimension once every 100 years or so. Great story, that.

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Well, don't get me wrong, I like the Shooter-era stories too (ADVENTURE 346-380, and ACTION 378-384, combined running from 1966-1970).

The Swan art is actually pretty nice in many of these issues. I especially like the Swan/Klein art team. They worked together on ADVENTURE 293, 340, 342-345, 346-347, 349-357, 359-360, and 365-368 (spanning 1962-1968).

Swan is, for my money, the best Superman artist, with the single possible exception of Neal Adams.

Here's a nice cover-gallery of ADVENTURE COMICS, from around 331-381, roughly 1965-1969:

http://www.comics.org/series/98/covers/?style=default&page=7

It includes a number of covers by (alternately) both Swan and Adams. It's great to see the better part of an era captured on a single-page cover gallery.

Enjoy...

Grell did ADVENTURE issues 435-437, and 440 (Aquaman backup stories, with lead stories of Aparo's famous Spectre series. Grell said that these Aquaman stories were his first assignment for DC, after he interviewed for a job. )

(Oct 1974, Dec 1974, Feb 1975, and August 1975, respectively )

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:

Swan is clearly the definitive, but I'm not sure I'd call him the best. After the early 70s he stopped trying to update his work, he was saddled with a lot of crappy inkers and his stuff really suffered as a result.

For my money, one the best Superman artists pre-Crisis was Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. However, for some reason, they only used him on a handful of fill-ins and covers and then sent him off to DC's editorial staff to design all the model sheets, etc.

I always thought it was a shame they never gave him an extended run on Superman.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I'd have to agree, that Swan's inkers in the mid-70's forward often left much to be desired (the best were George Klein and Murphy Anderson. And on a few occasions Adams, and even Wrightson, inking Swan's covers!)

Somehow Garcia-Lopez, despite his technical skill, never did much for me. I liked him best as penciller/inker of JONAH HEX(issues 1-5), and other titles of the late 70s/early 80s era.
Garcia-Lopez also did some nice covers on the Batman titles, particularly the three-issue UNTOLD LEGEND OF THE BATMAN, with interior work by Byrne and Aparo.

Since this is a Grell topic, I'm including another cover gallery, focused on Grell's era of SUPERBOY, issues 202-246 (1974-1978).

http://www.comics.org/series/614/covers/?style=default&page=5
(issues 201-230)

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=2385 (issues 231-258)

According to Overstreet, the grell covers are on issues 207-237, 239-240, 243, and 246
(Grell did interior stories in 202-224, and 235)

[

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
202-258. That's my Legion era, right there. Damn, looking at all those covers brings back fond memories.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

202-258. That's my Legion era, right there. Damn, looking at all those covers brings back fond memories.

Yeah, I was a huge fan of the Cockrum and Grell issues in SUPERBOY/LEGION 197-224.

I stopped being a regular reader after Grell left the SUPERBOY/LEGION series though, and didn't steadily read again till Levitz and Giffen began their run (issues 285-306).

But there was some great art in the 225-284 issues, that I discovered later. Such as Jim Sherman, Mike Nasser, Joe Rubinstein and Bob McLeod.
And Jim Starlin (239, and 250-251).

Jim Janes (circa 265-280) also did some decent work.

Pat Broderick did art in issues 284-288 (2 stories each issue, 1 by Giffen, 1 by Broderick, in 285-288)

I was less into Joe Staton and Jack Abel (issues 243-249, and 252-261).

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Staton and Abel were the beginning of the end for my interest in the Legion.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
Staton and Abel were the beginning of the end for my interest in the Legion.

That's exactly how I felt, until Levitz and Giffen took over LEGION and wowed me to no end. I still pull those issues out every year or two and re-read them (issues 284-306). Great visuals, great development of the 30th century, great humor and banter between the characters, and so much fun !

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
 Quote:

Swan is clearly the definitive, but I'm not sure I'd call him the best. After the early 70s he stopped trying to update his work, he was saddled with a lot of crappy inkers and his stuff really suffered as a result.

For my money, one the best Superman artists pre-Crisis was Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. However, for some reason, they only used him on a handful of fill-ins and covers and then sent him off to DC's editorial staff to design all the model sheets, etc.

I always thought it was a shame they never gave him an extended run on Superman.

Best artist ever. Even when he was crap - see New Teen Titans when he took over from Perez - he was still better than almost everyone.

There' a reason why DC use him for their merchandising material.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I can name several better Superman artists better than Swan or Garcia Lopez just off the top of my head: Tom Grummett, Jon Bogdanove, John Byrne.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Grummett and Byrne were both very good. However, they worked on the series post-Crisis. I said Lopez was the best of the pre-Crisis artists.

That being said, Dave's right. His Titans work was excellent.

I do think having to draw nothing but model sheets for most of the 80s did stagnate his work a little, however.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I was responding to Dave saying best ever. Lopez was very good, but not in the best ever.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Neal Adams (Left) with Mike Grell (Right) in 1977.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
From this blog...
http://fromthebarrelofagun.blogspot.com/2010/03/mike-grell.html

A nice page from a new Grell JON SABLE miniseries (i'll follow the blogger's lead and mark it Not safe for work, but you can click and see the image here)

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Here's a plausible-sounding historical/scientific background on the "Hollow Earth" that was the basis of Grell's THE WARLORD.

Hollow Earth... Stuff they don't want you to know!

Adding Hitler and Nazis to the mix, no less!
This would be a nice springboard for a new series.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Cue Mxy commenting on the fact that WB said he'd like to see a series about Hitler and Nazis in 3…2….1...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Here's Grell's origin story for Warlord, from FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL 8(Nov 1975) :

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2008/11/famous-first-fridays-mike-grells.html

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've read once or twice that Warlord was actually DC's best selling book during a chunk of the 70s. With that in mind you'd think they'd have tried to market it to TV or films over the years.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Grell was initially going to do STARSLAYER for DC, but Pacific Comics gave him a better offer of creator ownership and profit-sharing. It's possible that rubbed DC the wrong way.

Grell didn't do work for DC (except for a few pin-up pages in Batman and Superman 400th anniversary issues) until he came back to do THE LONG BOW HUNTERS in 1987.

I recall Grell coming back and scripting a lot of Green Arrow crud in the late 1980's though.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I've read once or twice that Warlord was actually DC's best selling book during a chunk of the 70s. With that in mind you'd think they'd have tried to market it to TV or films over the years.

That always struck me as odd too. I'd seen it mentioned in the 1970's that both WARLORD and KAMANDI were tremendously popular and among DC's best-selling titles.
Maybe DC was tapped out in their capacity to mass-market in that era, with Super-Friends, Shazam and Isis, and several years of ramping up for the first Superman movie.
Dennis O'Neil in one interview expressed that when licensing work and movie adaptations finally came around the DC offices in 1978 and he was passed up for that work, he was embittered by the snub, and immediately moved to Marvel when his contract ran out in 1980.

In the decades since, though, only those of us who grew up with KAMANDI and WARLORD remember how immensely popular they were. They no longer have the large audience they once did. The collected trade WARLORD: SAVAGE EMPIRE, reprinting the first 12 issues, hasn't been reprinted since 1991.
Although a larger black-and-white SHOWCASE trade of WARLORD issues was recently published.

Likewise, KAMANDI had two archive hardcovers (issues 1-10, issues 11-20) published, along with two Omnibus collections (issues 1-20, and 21-40), but none of these have been complete sellouts either.

And I'm guessing they have print runs of less than 5,000 copies.

I'd love to see either of these get tv, animation or film adaptation, but if they do, it won't be from a huge public outcry for it. Much as they deserve the treatment.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From WARLORD 13.

A prime example of why Grell remains one of my favorite artists.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

MIKE GRELL interview - Comic Culture

I like this interview because it's very slice-of-life, what it would be like to meet Grell at a convention and talk with him a few minutes, as I have with quite a few writers and artists. Just sitting with him in his convention booth at Dragon Con (Atlanta, GA). I like that Grell not only discusses his work, but a lot of the business side of comics, and it's fun to quietly watch him draw the whole time, and get a feel for his work habits.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Here's a link to Grell's signature series, WARLORD, every last damn issue.

The origin story that preceded the WARLORD series, in
FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL 8
https://comiconlinefree.com/1st-issue-special/issue-8
Also reprinted in WARLORD 11 with a few pages deleted.

WARLORD series
https://comiconlinefree.com/warlord-1976/issue-1

Grell did both pencils and inks on the first 14 issues.
After that Grell dropped to just pencils.
Issue 15 is inked by Grell/Joe Rubinstein.
16-40, 44, 48-50 by Grell/Colletta
41-43, 45, 47 by Grell/Bob Smith.
46 by Grell/Tanghal.

51-71 have Grell scripts, with others taking over the art, Mark Texiera, Jan Duursema, and then I think most compatibly Dan Jurgens starting with issue 63.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

[Linked Image from 13thdimension.com]

"Why Mike Grell was happy to do work on LEGION (and even happier to leave)"
https://13thdimension.com/why-mike-grell-was-happy-to-work-on-legion-and-even-happier-to-leave-it/

Highlightting a new book about Grell (2019) from TwoMorrows.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

A lesser-known cover by Grell, AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS fanzine issue 12, that partially spotlighted Grell's work at DC.

https://viewcomiconline.com/amazing-world-of-dc-comics-issue-12/

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

After the fantastic work Grell did in the first 3 Warlord stories, in FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL 8, and Then WARLORD 1 and 2, the series appeared to be cancelled. I was so crushed by that cancellation, and as I've said before, I literally dreamed one night about going into a 7-11 and being thrilled to see issue 3 on the rack.
https://viewcomiconline.com/1st-issue-special-issue-8/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-1/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-2/

Then, about 8 months later, I went in a 7-11, and there it was on the rack, WARLORD issue 3.
It was literally a dream come true. And close to a year later, the magic was still there, and Grell had become an even better artist.
I still treasure those first 14 issues, that Grell both pencilled and inked.

https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-3/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-4/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-5/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-7/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-8/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-9/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-10/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-11/ (reprint of !st ISSUE SPECIAL 8, but great new cover, and 3 new pages)
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-12/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-13/
https://viewcomiconline.com/warlord-1976-issue-14/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard