Due to the limited functionality of this board's search engine and my reluctance to read back over dozens of pages of what I assume is mostly name-calling and youtube video links anyway, I may be just recycling an already tired-out topic here, but I find a lot about the circumstances leading up to and surrounding the passing of this bill disconcerting...as well as the bill itself.

Rejected initially under intense media scrutiny at a length of three pages, the bill quickly ballooned to novel-size and seemingly without deliberation or consultation was hurried through passing, "under the radar", while the country's focus fell on the debates and whether or not O.J Simpson would finally to go jail for good this time. Many of the country's leading economists are not in favor it, or at least the principles of its original incarnation, as is the case with Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz. Even its strongest proponents(the joke that is the current bicameral legislature we call Congress) seem to be modest and measured in their praise; praise that comes with $150-billion in earmarked prompting.

What perhaps I find most curious of all, however, is section 8, which most of you intelligent people likely already know about, but for King Snarf's benefit I'll reproduce:

Quote:
Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

So, $700 billion in taxpayer money will be distributed back to those who were largely responsible for the mess that necessitated such a silly, stampede-like proceeding in the first place, all at the behest of a man(Paulson) who used to work for them, and no-one can hold him accountable?

Please, someone, illuminate for me the logic and reason behind this, because I don't see it.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.