Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
I guess you don't really understand the revenue sharing. Even with the revenue sharing the teams aren't anywhere near equal, the Yankeess still pull in millions upon millions more than many teams. But don;t get me wrong I don't believe spending=winning. The Yankees above all else are great examples on the other end is Tampa Bay who spend little and went farther, I was just pointing out the holes on the story you posted.

Of course they aren't equal. The article doesn't say they are. What it says is that the difference between the Yankees and most of the other teams in baseball isn't that they don't have money to spend. Far from it, infact, as the Steinbrenners aren't close to being the richest family in baseball. The difference is that the Yankees are one of the few teams owned by a group willing to "play ball" and spend the money that the market dictates they should. That's what creates the payroll disparity that isn't seen in any other major sport. The Jeff Lorias of the world are able to willfully put a cheap, substandard product on the field, and still come away with a large profit due to the bump that teams like the Yankees give them with revenue sharing.

Now, how they spend their money isn't always wise, which is why the argument is often put forward that spending doesn't equal winning, but the fact of the matter is that the Yankees have it right. Teams like the Rays are a good formula to follow as it pertains to roster construction, but if the Rays are going to stay contenders they'll have to open their checkbooks a little, as even the notoriously stingy(but savvy) A's have started to do.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.