Letters in comics, though often written through a semi-literate fog, on other occasions often impress me with their wit, intelligence, explanation of continuity, or just their enthusiasm and love for comics, and on occasion are superbly written.

Some of them, guys like Roy Thomas, Steve Englehart, Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Dave Sim, Dean and Jan Mullaney, Don McGregor, Mark Gruenwald, Todd McFarlane, Richard Morrissey, Martin Pasko, Bob Rozakis, Allan Brennert, Mike Barr, Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid, it was a precursor of professional work they would do later.

Others, such as Guy H.Lillian and T.M Maple, became famous solely on the basis of being prolific and clever letterhacks.
And many others are just one-hit wonders that are now a part of the comics they loved enough to write to.

I'll start with a modest one I just read in the letters page of ADVENTURE COMICS 363, Dec 1967.

Quote:
Dear Editor:

I have a cat named Streaky who likes to help me read ADVENTURE comics that feature the Legion of Super-Pets -- especially Streaky the Supercat. He pays no attention to Krypto, Beppo and Comet. If you can feature Streaky with the Super-Pets in an ADVENTURE adventure, my cat would love it.
--Charles Dorsett Jr., Walnut Creek, California

( You and your cat will be happy to learn that Streaky and his super-pet pals will be featured in our very next issue. --Editor)

The name isn't "Jerry" but I could easily picture this being Beardguy, who was a hugely enthusiaastic reader of Legion during this era.
Regardless, what a fun letter.