I don't why this was ever a debate at all. The United States of America is not a theocratic state...it should be a nation of laws, equally bestowed to all citizens. Legally, all a marriage was was a federally recognized contract between two consenting adults of the opposite sex that granted certain rights and privileges to both parties with agreed upon conditions, with both parties signing a contract and then have said contract made official by a state-licensed Notary. Why should that only be applied to heterosexuals? If a person also wants to be married "before God" then get married in a church that holds your theocratic viewpoint.

On the flip side, anyone who disagrees with the idea of homosexuality, or homosexual marriage, should not be labeled "homophobic". A person could find homosexuality morally objectionable but not treat a homosexual any different than anyone else. We have sexist and racist, we need a new "-ist" for homosexuality to define it as a prejudice. I, for one, don't approve of homosexuality but I don't hate them or treat them differently than anyone else, and legally I don't think they should be afforded any less rights than myself. If I have an opinion on a person, it's because of their personality. For instance I just think MEM is a dumbass because he is one, not because he's a dumb smelly homo (even though he probably is ;\))