Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Have you not been paying attention to muscle cars in the past decade? The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger all use the older, popular versions as their baseline.

I addressed this in passing above:

Originally Posted By: the G-man

Most everyone loves the look of that car. I understand it doesn't have all the required mechanicals of the modern era, but why couldn't Ford design a new mustang that looks more or less just like it on the outside?

Originally Posted By: PCG342
Dodge released some "classic trim" models of their cars. Says the guy who owns a modern Charger.

Originally Posted By: the G-man
Even those are more "modernized" than I was thinking, however.

Yes, understand some of these cars take some design cues from older cars and I also understand that some changes would need to be made for safety, fuel economy or other reasons. But it would seem to me that at least some of the classic cars could be "cloned" to the extent that they would look more identical than not.

Again, to use the 64 Mustang: Take the same basic body. Mold it in fiberglass or whatever they're using instead of steel these days. Upgrade the wipers, headlights (don't change the look, just change the mechanicals), add the NHS required "dole light" on the back, recess the door handles. Upgrade the mechanicals in the convertable. Make the interior comply with all the stuff we/the government expects inside a car these days (air bags, gadgets, etc.). Stick a modern engine in it.

Basically, I think we're discussing a matter of degree here. The car companies are going similar and I'm closer to identical.