For all his mistakes running for president as a non-career politician, I've come to respect Donald Trump as:

1) the only candidate making a priority of the greatest issues facing this country, such as illegal immigration, border security, Islamic terrorism, the U.S.'s poor judgement across presidents of both parties for at least 25 years in negotiating bad agreements for both the U.S. and its workers, weak foreign policy, and the federal debt. No other candidate has made a priority of these, and most leaders on the Democrat side pretend they don't even exist!
2) As a Washington outsider who is a populist/nationalist, who has the potential to sweep aside the globalist/lobbyist system that infects both parties, and as a result he is opposed by not just the Democrats and the (80% liberal) media, but also the lobby-controlled/establishment wing of the GOP as well.

I saw this interview of Newt Gingrich on Hannity's show on Monday, August 1st, and just ran across it again, where Gingrich does a good overview of what is at stake in this election:

I might be less inclined to put faith in Trump if there were anyone else even raising the issues that really matter. For raising them, Trump is labelled as a bigot and a racist, anything to discredit him.
Gee, what a surprise. The Democrats and liberal media liked McCain and Romney so much! And John Boehner and a few other establishment Republicans have made it clear they support Hillary over Trump, or over Cruz or any other conservative who would buck the lobbyist system that keeps them in power despite their continuous betrayal of the Republicans who voted for them. The fiscal cliff, raising taxes, the Republican-led Congress and Senate not repealing Obamacare as they campaigned and were elected to do in Nov 2014, John Roberts TWICE refusing to declare Obamacare unconstitutional, now the James Comey/Loretta Lynch decision not to prosecute Frau Hitlery despite the evidence, so many other betrayals.

It is precisely because of their unworthiness and unfitness to lead that caused Trump to be selected as the GOP candidate. If leaders in either party had represented the interests of the American people, Trump would not be the candidate now.