https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_special_election_in_Alabama,_2017

The write in votes (i.e., voters saying "none of the above") were over 22,000, exceeding the margin that Doug Jones won the election by. So it was hardly a statement by Alabama voters that they enthusiastically embrace Democrats. Moore has no humiliation, it was a close election. (Although it can be argued in conservative Alabama, a different Republican candidate would have won in a landslide.)
Moore's loss was a combination of 1) Moore having conservative views that even many conservatives distanced themselves from (making his candidacy flawed from the outset), and 2) further handicapped by lurid allegations of trolling underage girls.
Apparently high black voter turnout was a factor that pushed Doug Jones over the top as well, because Jones prosecuted KKK leaders, and/or because Dems successfully painted Roy Moore as a racist.

I was surprised how much commentary on Fox voiced the idea that it was better for the GOP that Moore lost, because now the GOP won't have to possibly seat him and deal with ongoing sexual allegations, and that the GOP doesn't potentially share in getting slimed by the DNC for seating Moore under the shadow of these allegations.

As close at the election was, I don't see this as a decisive referendum where Alabama voters rejected Moore, either on his conservative views, or on the underage sex allegations. It was very close, roughly 48% vs. 49%, with a lot of write-in votes rejecting both, greater than the margin of victory.

The same Alabama Senate seat is up again in 3 years. Oh well, hopefully next time, with a less handicapped Republican candidate.

I actually envisioned a scenario where, if Moore had won, Jeff Sessions could leave or be fired as Attorney General, and Moore could willingly give up the seat if Sessions were appointed back to his former Senator position.