Random absurdity strikes again, and this time it's very local to where I live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_High_School_shooting

This is about 6 or 7 miles from where I live. My former girlfriend's condo was about 3 miles east of the high shool this occurred at.

Hours and hours of national and local broadcast coverage, and they still barely have any details of what actually occurred.

I watched Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL), and Rep Peter Deutch (D-FL), my two local elected leaders for my district.
Gee, what a shock, these liberal Democrats again called for gun control. The Fox News anchor pointed out that 10 years of ban on automatic weapons made no difference in gun deaths, and Sen. Nelson hummed and hawed "Umm, uhh, I'm not familiar with those statistics..." Regardless, he looked like an idiot, pushing his talking points, with no idea what the true facts are.

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) spoke to the media yesterday when I was viewing. And while not calling for anything agenda-pushing, just expressed his sympathy for those attacked, and like the others, including reporters for the most part, offered no information beyond sympathy. I guess that's all most people expect, obligatory sympathy and an obligatory public appearance. Coverage on these kind of events just drag on hour after hour, and really provide no information or meaningful dialogue.

I often call these shootings, regardless of where they occur, as random absurdity, because they are not like an Al Qaida attack or other political/activist violence that are part of a larger campaign of intimidation.

But these shootings do seem to occur with increasing frequency, whether or not they actually occur more frequently. If the same kid bashed 30 people's heads in with a lead pipe, it likely would not get the same coverage as a guy with an AK-47.