Respectfully, Christian church attendance is imploding and goes down several percentage points every time they do another Gallup poll on the subject (and I've linked many here in the past.)

Churches often have so few members that many no longer have their own buildings as they used to, and are instead renting space in strip shopping centers, or even local high schools.

That is often true in Catholic schools as well. Pat Buchanan cited in SUICIDE OF A SUPERPOWER that Catholic schools (he is Catholic, I am not) that Catholic schools have increasing trouble, and are often compelled by lack of applicants to hire non-Catholics, and even non-Christians, to teach in their schools, and how that renders Catholic education often questionable in its effectiveness in preserving the faith.

So I don't see how Christianity is much of a threat, let alone a rising threat. And whatever minor tax breaks churches have are far from the only tax exemptions.
If you want to demagogue a group for tax exemptions, corporate subsidies would be a far more valid target, since they reap billions in subsidies and tax breaks they don't even need in many cases. Under Obama, two examples are GE and Solyndra, whose subsidies were the equivalent of state-run capitalism as practiced in communist China, where the government picks what companies are winners and losers. And in Solyndra's case, wasting a lot of taxpayer dollars on something that didn't even work.

Even in the era of President George W. Bush, who was the most devout Christian in office since Ronald Reagan, Christian evangelicals said they felt betrayed and marginalized, despite their strong support of W. Bush.
And other nations give special tax status to churches. Canada, for example. I don't see that churches are great abusers of the system. Or again, any kind of a rising threat to the Left or anyone else. I would assume Jewish, Islamic, Hindu and even gay churches have the same exemptions.