This part saddened me about Curt Swan:

Quote:
After DC's 1985 12-issue limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths and with the impending 1986 revision of Superman by writer/artist John Byrne, Swan was released from his duties on the Superman comics. Critic Wallace Harrington summed up Swan's dismissal this way:

Quote:

. . . the most striking thing that DC did was to completely turn their back on the one man that had defined Superman for three decades. . . . They closed the door and turned out the lights on the creator that had defined their whole line. With no real thanks, no pomp nor circumstance, DC simply relieved Curt of his artistic duties on Superman. Curt Swan who had drawn Superman in Action, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Superman, and World's Finest, and drew Superboy in Adventure Comics, who was the quintessential Superman artist of the 1960s, '70s and '80s. He became was just another victim of the 1980's implosion. Gone.[24]

Swan's last work as regular artist on Superman was the non-canonical 1986 story "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", written by Alan Moore.[25]

I always got the impression from DC's discussion of the "Last Superman Story" that Swan wanted to retire and cut back. But according to this, he was leveraged out. With the one exception of Neal Adams, I never liked any other artist on Superman as much. Swan also did most of the Legion stories in ADVENTURE COMICS with Jim Shooter, that I know Beardguy here is a huge fan of.

The last story by Swan I read was a SUPERMAN: EARTH STEALERS one-shot he did in collaboration with John Byrne.